Background Check Under Review - Why?

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Keith B
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Background Check Under Review - Why?

Post by Keith B »

parabelum wrote: Child support delinquency is no longer a disqualifier.
Incorrect: From https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/internetf ... CHL-16.pdf
GC §411.172. ELIGIBILITY.
(a) A person is eligible for a license to carry a handgun if the person:
(10) has not been finally determined to be delinquent in making a child support
payment administered or collected by the attorney general
;
(11) has not been finally determined to be delinquent in the payment of a
tax or other money collected by the comptroller, the tax collector of a political
subdivision of the state, or any agency or subdivision of the state;
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

infoman wrote:BTW, the applicants that don't have arrests on their records don't need to go to the 2nd office, hence taking 2-3 weeks to process.
If they don't go to the second office, then how do they know if they have....taxes, child support, OOS convictions, etc...etc...? Probably 'cause they cleared the "quick automated background check" that they do in the first office... :biggrinjester:

I'll bet if you have no reported arrests, you get automated NICS, automated print check with FBI NCIC, automated Texas state check, then off to printing...
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

casp625
Posts in topic: 1

Post by casp625 »

ScottDLS wrote:
infoman wrote:BTW, the applicants that don't have arrests on their records don't need to go to the 2nd office, hence taking 2-3 weeks to process.
If they don't go to the second office, then how do they know if they have....taxes, child support, OOS convictions, etc...etc...? Probably 'cause they cleared the "quick automated background check" that they do in the first office... :biggrinjester:

I'll bet if you have no reported arrests, you get automated NICS, automated print check with FBI NCIC, automated Texas state check, then off to printing...
Not to mention, I have a couple arrests and my license was in hand in 3 weeks from all in date. This was last year, FWIW

infoman
Posts in topic: 6

Post by infoman »

Last year was far different than this year. All I'm really trying to point out is that a person WITH a bunch of reported arrests will not have the same time frame (or even close to same) as someone who's never been arrested.

Posts in topic: 3

Post by 869 »

Past performance is not indicative of future results...

The state should maintain records that allow for a quick, electronic search of one's past arrest record, state-wide. I'm sure, however, that when they pull a background check that comes back clean and the applicant has self-reported incidents they wonder what else could be missing. Human Nature. Of course, this data collection/sharing responsibility doesn't fall on the shoulders of those tasked with processing applications, but it is a bit ridiculous IMO.

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”