confusion on waiting time

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
josephtuna
Posts in topic: 4

confusion on waiting time

Post by josephtuna »

I've been following this board for nearly a month but just registered to participate today. In reading about wait times it appears most recent applications are taking anywhere from a week to several months. I live in Houston so as Harris is the largest county the designee probably has the largest workload but that being the cause for extra waiting is purely conjecture on my part.

application and payment online 8/1
fingerprints 8/3
class and proficiency 8/5
all docs submitted 8/5
all in email 8/8
status updated to all green except for background and printing 8/11

So my status is still pending background review for 19 days. I realize this is a very short time but like mentioned above, some applications appear in some cases to be processed in a week with more recent ones within 10 business days. On the otherhand some are taking a month or so. I guess I just don't understand the reasons why some seem pushed through and others wait longer; hence my speculation about Houston and the workload. Then again, most of this should be automated once the background comes in. Thus, my confusion.

Thanks for listening - Joe

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Re: confusion on waiting time

Post by Jusme »

First Off welcome to the forum. :tiphat:

There does seem to be a wide discrepancy with different people on how long they have to wait. I don't think that it has anything to do with the county in which you reside, since the applications all go to Austin, but I can't give you a definite reason for why some take longer than others. I do know that the process seems to have sped up considerably since the early part of the year.

Glad you are with us, let us know about you, what you plan to carry when you get your plastic, OC or CC, etc.. Ask questions, we have the people here with the answers.
:cheers2:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
josephtuna

Post by josephtuna »

Thanks for your reply. Logically i agree the size of Harris County should make no difference but it's the only conclusion I can come to. as to CC or OC, I have been around firearms all my life. I always keep a handgun in my car, available at home and place of business. I'm not even sure I will carry at all but given the political nature of the subject thought it best to go ahead and get it now rather than waiting for the possibility of some "executive order" to come down which would most definitely be successfully challenged but put a temporary delay on obtaining one (not that i'm into conspiracy theories but a realist).

If do decide to carry most certainly CC as my personal opinion is that OC is like playing poker with 5 cards showing though I fully support the freedom for anyone that wants to exercise that right.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jusme »

I think most folks are still waiting 6-8 weeks, so if there are no extenuating circumstances, it shouldn't be too much longer. I got mine 3 years ago and it was almost exactly 6 weeks from the time I sent everything in until i received my plastic.

I got mine for the same reasons, I hope I never find the need to use my gun in self defense, but I would rather have it and not need it than.. Well, you know.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Dainbramage
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Dainbramage »

136 days and counting in Tarrant County, with zero notice that they need any additional time. Every time I call I get a different story.

PatrickMas20

Post by PatrickMas20 »

Dainbramage wrote:136 days and counting in Tarrant County, with zero notice that they need any additional time. Every time I call I get a different story.
Don't want to hijack the thread but that's a ridiculous time to be waiting :banghead:

Pastlite

Post by Pastlite »

121 days waiting so far for renewal Tarrant also. Its October 12th just got it today 133 days after I applied. No arrests one speeding ticket.
Last edited by Pastlite on Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

infoman

Post by infoman »

The wait times have ZERO to do with what county you live in or work in. DPS is just super back logged on apps/renewals that need Manuel background reviews (in other words, those that have had arrests before).

Ken27

Post by Ken27 »

Renewal submitted: June 2016
Status: Fingerprints/Background check still "under review".
Reason: According to the TDPS, it is the state waiting on the FBI background check.

They could not give me an answer as to why.
Nothing about my life has changed other than moving across town last year.
This is my 3rd or 4th renewal (it's a bit fuzzy) and the first time to experience the delay.
The most frustrating part is not being able to get a direct answer as to "why".

...maybe I'm the guy that got pulled from the security line at the airport?

Houston

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

infoman wrote:The wait times have ZERO to do with what county you live in or work in. DPS is just super back logged on apps/renewals that need Manuel background reviews (in other words, those that have had arrests before).
The investigations are done locally. It used to be that court searches could slow down the clearance.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Topic author
josephtuna

Post by josephtuna »

josephtuna wrote:I've been following this board for nearly a month but just registered to participate today. In reading about wait times it appears most recent applications are taking anywhere from a week to several months. I live in Houston so as Harris is the largest county the designee probably has the largest workload but that being the cause for extra waiting is purely conjecture on my part.

fingerprints 8/3
all docs submitted 8/5
all in email 8/8

So my status is still pending background review for 19 days. I realize this is a very short time but like mentioned above, some applications appear in some cases to be processed in a week with more recent ones within 10 business days. On the otherhand some are taking a month or so. I guess I just don't understand the reasons why some seem pushed through and others wait longer; hence my speculation about Houston and the workload. Then again, most of this should be automated once the background comes in. Thus, my confusion.

today, 9/27 BG is green with print pending. i assume all is approved since BG is complete or may there still be issues? i have received no requests from DPS but I'm sitting on 57 days from the time of application. in other words since BG is now complete and print pending is yellow is all ok?

rogersinsel

Post by rogersinsel »

What I am hearing is that they are indeed waiting on the FBI back ground checks to return before issuing the license.

Topic author
josephtuna

Post by josephtuna »

josephtuna wrote:
josephtuna wrote:I've been following this board for nearly a month but just registered to participate today. In reading about wait times it appears most recent applications are taking anywhere from a week to several months. I live in Houston so as Harris is the largest county the designee probably has the largest workload but that being the cause for extra waiting is purely conjecture on my part.

fingerprints 8/3
all docs submitted 8/5
all in email 8/8

today, 9/27 BG is green with print pending. i assume all is approved since BG is complete or may there still be issues? i have received no requests from DPS but I'm sitting on 57 days from the time of application. in other words since BG is now complete and print pending is yellow is all ok?

as of this morning, 9/29 - mailed.

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”