2017 Wait time

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

mppedersen
Posts in topic: 9

Re: 2017 Wait time

Post by mppedersen »

So I don't live in Texas but for various reasons I want a Texas LTC including I visit Texas a few times a year from CA. So my wait times and process may be a little different?

1/4/2017 Filed Online Application
1/10/2017 Fingerprinted at Identogo in San Pedro, CA
2/11/2017 Took Class
2/12/2017 Stuck all paperwork in mail in Plano.
2/??/2017 Not sure when when everything but Background Check and Print Pending turned green but it was towards end of February.
4/24/2017 Still waiting.

Probably going to give it a few more weeks before calling but planing a trip back to Texas middle of June and would like to have it before then.

omegaman
Posts in topic: 1

Post by omegaman »

Welcome to the forum mppedersen. You will find lot's of good information here.

boxersam101
Posts in topic: 1

Post by boxersam101 »

LTC Course Taken: 02/20/2017
Submitted Application: 04/05/2017
Finger Prints Submitted: 04/06/2017
Additional Submitted Documentation: 04/06/2017
Application and Documentation Processed:04/17/2017
Background Check Completed:04/20/2017
License Mailed: 04/21/2017
License Received: 04/24/2017

Took about 20 days to send in all my information and have the license sent to me. Good Luck to everyone going through this process!

007Glock
Posts in topic: 27

Post by 007Glock »

boxersam101 wrote:LTC Course Taken: 02/20/2017
Submitted Application: 04/05/2017
Finger Prints Submitted: 04/06/2017
Additional Submitted Documentation: 04/06/2017
Application and Documentation Processed:04/17/2017
Background Check Completed:04/20/2017
License Mailed: 04/21/2017
License Received: 04/24/2017

Took about 20 days to send in all my information and have the license sent to me. Good Luck to everyone going through this process!
Wow, I hope mine turns out to be that quick in that time frame. Mine is basically one week after yours. However, I have one misdemeanor on my record. I sent in a certified court disposition along with my supporting documents hoping that it will hurry it up because the wait is killing me. I wonder if they're just going to make me wait a full 60 days no matter what? Or hopefully they will still knock it out as fast as they can like they did yours. If so, then mine should be completed next week. Even though I turned in a certified disposition in my supporting documents for my one misdemeanor, I wonder if they're just going to make me wait the full 60 days though for the heck of it...

Submitted Application: 4/10/2017
Fingerprints Submitted: 4/11/2017
Submitted supporting documents same day as fingerprints: 4/11/2017
Receipt of supporting documents: 4/12/2017
Application status checklist appears: 4/19/2017
Everything is green except for fingerprints and background check, both say 'under review', and print pending completion of application review

GlockGirl
Posts in topic: 10

Post by GlockGirl »

I have been waiting since the beginning of January. Being told they can take up to 180 days and I guess they are going to take it!

mppedersen
Posts in topic: 9

Post by mppedersen »

omegaman wrote:Welcome to the forum mppedersen. You will find lot's of good information here.
Thank you.

007Glock

Post by 007Glock »

GlockGirl wrote:I have been waiting since the beginning of January. Being told they can take up to 180 days and I guess they are going to take it!
What?!?! :banghead:

Do you have anything on your record as well like me? I have a misdemeanor, but I disclosed it and sent a certified court disposition along with my supporting documents.

GlockGirl

Post by GlockGirl »

I had a charge that was dismissed and sent them the disposition in January. I've called a couple of times and all they will say is that they have everything they need and that they have 180 days to review it. :banghead:

ONEDEEP76541
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ONEDEEP76541 »

:cheers2:
Attachments
3/17/2017-present, mailed today!
3/17/2017-present, mailed today!

007Glock

Post by 007Glock »

GlockGirl wrote:I had a charge that was dismissed and sent them the disposition in January. I've called a couple of times and all they will say is that they have everything they need and that they have 180 days to review it. :banghead:
I thought the statute is that they have 60 days to either issue you your LTC or request more information during that period? Saying that they have 180 days to do it doesn't seem correct to me. Did they have to send you a letter asking for the disposition or any other information ? Or you submitted everything at once?

Any knowledge on this anyone? To all the different people who know the in's-and-out's of the process because this doesn't seem correct and that they're wrong.

007Glock

Post by 007Glock »

Glockman93 wrote:got the call I have been wanting from dps today. They said I have finally been cleared and would be moved through print.

Here is what I have found out about the process from my own experience. Calling the handgun license number is pretty much pointless. You will not get any answers from them because I believe they really don't know what's going on with your process. I submitted all my paperwork and received confirmation on February 10th. Like many I called once a week and got the same answer of we just have to wait for the process. When I reached my 60th day a called again and was told that the clock doesn't start till they actually open your application. This is completely wrong. It clearly says 60 days from the time the complete application was submitted or received ( confirmation email). I decided to look up my state rep for the county I live in and sent their office an email asking why I was being with held my constitutional right. The next day their office called and said they would look into it. Surprisingly dps manager called me that afternoon to tell me they were being held up from an arrest when I was 12 years old for battery that was wrongly documented as a felony but was actually a class a misdemeanor . She did not how ever have an answer as to why I was not sent a letter by mail saying they needed more info as it states that needs to be sent out within the 60 day period. Honestly seemed like they threw my app in the corner untouched. Long story short I made a few calls and had the reports needed in about half a day. It blows my mind that an investigator could not have done this considering all I did was make a few calls. Anyways my recommendation to anyone waiting is to get past your 60days and get on top of your state rep. They are elected by you to work for you and is the fastest way to get answers. There is no telling when I would have finally been notified about this issue with out pushing them on this.
So they pulled up a felony on your record? You had a felony on your record without even knowing it? How were you able to get a job, buy a firearm, etc. this whole time?

GlockGirl

Post by GlockGirl »

I just figured the more I call them, the further they will push me back in the pile. I was notified on 1/29/17 that they had everything they needed from me. Now just to sit and wait until someone decides to get off their butt and do their job, even though they already have my $140! That's how the government always seems to work, very very very slowly! But you can bet, if I owed them money they would be all over it!

allisji
Posts in topic: 2

Post by allisji »

007Glock wrote:
GlockGirl wrote:I had a charge that was dismissed and sent them the disposition in January. I've called a couple of times and all they will say is that they have everything they need and that they have 180 days to review it. :banghead:
I thought the statute is that they have 60 days to either issue you your LTC or request more information during that period? Saying that they have 180 days to do it doesn't seem correct to me. Did they have to send you a letter asking for the disposition or any other information ? Or you submitted everything at once?

Any knowledge on this anyone? To all the different people who know the in's-and-out's of the process because this doesn't seem correct and that they're wrong.
They are supposed to issue the license within 60 days of receiving the final supporting documentation. Once they have the application and payment, the fingerprints, the CHL100 training certificate, and any arrest reports or any other court documentation that they request then the 60 day clock is supposed to start.

Once they have received all of the supporting documents the file should be placed in someone's queue. When they person gets to your application they should start the background check. During the background check they may ask for more information (at that point I don't know if the 60 days still applies or not). If they incidated that they had received all the supporting documentation, but it has been over 60 days, I would call Regulatory Services Dept until I got a person on the phone. They should be able to indicate whether it's still in the background check, or whether it's passed or failed the background check. I would politely press them to verify that the background check is in fact already started and that it's not just sitting in someone's queue.

If they received supporting documentation in January then they either should have issued the license or rejected the application. If after calling and talking to RSD, there is still no action, I would begin calling my State Rep's office and complaining that it is beyond the 60 day timeline and requesting that they provide assistance in getting the application processed or taking whatever next step needs to be taken.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

GlockGirl

Post by GlockGirl »

" On receipt at the department’s Austin headquarters of the application
materials and the result of the investigation by the director’s designee,
the department shall conduct any further record check or investigation the
department determines is necessary if a question exists with respect to the
accuracy of the application materials or the eligibility of the applicant, except that
the department shall complete the record check and investigation not later than
the 180th day after the date the department receives the application materials
from the applicant."

allisji
Posts in topic: 2

Post by allisji »

GlockGirl wrote:" On receipt at the department’s Austin headquarters of the application
materials and the result of the investigation by the director’s designee,
the department shall conduct any further record check or investigation the
department determines is necessary if a question exists with respect to the
accuracy of the application materials or the eligibility of the applicant, except that
the department shall complete the record check and investigation not later than
the 180th day after the date the department receives the application materials
from the applicant."
You're correct, subchapter H has a separate provision that allows Austin to conduct further background checking for 120 days if the local designee can't recommend whether to issue the license or deny the license. I would still call. You have been well beyond the first 60 days, when they are supposed to make a recommendation. If you provided your final disposition to them then it should not take longer than the initial 60 day window. Be polite but if they don't give you an answer that satisfies your curiosity then I would still be calling my state Rep.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”