New to this forum!

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Alaska2texas
Posts in topic: 13

Re: New to this forum!

Post by Alaska2texas »

Sewtexas thanks so much for the input! And yes san antonio!
"The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SewTexas »

Alaska2texas wrote:Sewtexas thanks so much for the input! And yes san antonio!
welcome to the area. Which base? I live in Schertz, over by Randolph. You'll find that SA proper is a bit crazy, part California, and part...well, Texas...but, we learn to deal with it, and that's why I don't live in the city, or Bexar county.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Alaska2texas wrote:Thank you! Yes i was stationed in fairbanks with the Army, you'd think id be 100% comfortable carrying but its just A different story when you transform back to the civilian life.

Cc while shopping at an HEB is that common? I guess i could say im extremely cautious with people with everything going on now days and just am never too sure where carrying is legal if i dont see any signs before entering places..
Get the Texas3006 app for your smartphone- it will help you navigate businesses that are posted.
http://www.texas3006.com
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Topic author
Alaska2texas

Post by Alaska2texas »

Thank you bblhd672! I will get that app for sure!

Sewtexas I am actually out of the military now, did my 4 years and got out oct 2015! I have never been to texas before this. My wife is from here so we decided to move back her after the military and well, this is home to me now and ill never leave this state!!

puma guy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by puma guy »

Alaska2Texas,
Welcome to Texas and the the best forum on the web, bar none! You will become more and more comfortable carrying your weapon as time passes. The suggestion to carry around your house and yard is a good one. Most every one has to get accustomed to that acute feeling that others might see or know you have a weapon on you (I assume you intend to carry concealed). Many folks will inadvertently put a hand on their weapon and continuously make a visual check in the beginning. There's a running thread about taking a Wally (WalMart) Walk as the first outing for CC. I think because the high customer density helps one "fade" into the masses to give you a feeling of inconspicuousness. With a few exceptions public parks are not off limits, so no worry there if you choose to carry. As for keeping a weapon in your vehicle I am not in favor. Even with an alarm thieves are in and out of cars quickly. Most people pay no attention when a vehicle alarm goes off; the thieves know it and take advantage of it. You mentioned your tinted windows. Be sure the front side windows (driver and passenger) meet Texas' guidelines and that your front windshield is not darkened. Thank you for your service and again welcome!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

twjones

Post by twjones »

Welcome! Another Glock guy...excellent!

Thank you for your service and welcome to Texas. :patriot:

Topic author
Alaska2texas

Post by Alaska2texas »

Puma guy thank you!! This app that i was told to get is so awesome, i cant disagree with you this is the best website! I dont have a facebook or what have you so il offically addicted to this site, always on and learning from users like you!

I do only olan on conceal carrying where i al allowed to. I find alot of places usually only post the 30.07. Im not a big fan of the OC, it just strikes me as a way for people to immediately get the wrong idea.

I have a few errands to run todah and plan on going to a few stores...and i will havt my firearn concealed for the first time!

Heres to my first time, thanks and cheers!

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Welcome to Texas and as others have said, thanks for your service.
I OC 95% of the time, I CC at church, and places posted 30.07. Most people never notice. They are so SA unaware, or they are so wrapped up in their own business, that they are oblivious. The few people that have noticed have had nothing but positive things to say, or they are curious about obtaining their LTC.

OC may not be for everyone, and if you feel more comfortable CC then, by all means, carry on. After a while, you will completely forget you have a gun.
As for keeping a gun in your car, as another poster mentioned, no one responds to a car alarm, because they go off so often. There are security vehicle boxes you can install that will give another layer of security to your gun in your car, but if given enough to time and expertise, even those can be breached. I wouldn't leave a gun in a vehicle that I couldn't watch, but that's just me.

This forum is a great resource because there are so many people here that have different experiences, that you will be able to find what works for you.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
Alaska2texas

Post by Alaska2texas »

Thank you jusme!! :thewave

I decided not to keep one in the vehicle, i shouldnt need one if ive got one on my person at all times like someone mentioned earlier. Im feeling so confident with everyone giving their support! Thanks again!

Rhino1

Post by Rhino1 »

An excellent website that is related to Texas CHL Forum (Charles Cotton influence) is Texas Firearms Coalition. Go there and find his podcasts. I've listened while driving, in my office, and even working in the yard. If you start with number 1, they all had a section on the history of concealed carry laws in Texas. When you hear where we started and how we got where we are today, it will all made more sense. A 4 hour LTC class a year ago won't do it. A good example is the reason why we have the 30.06 sign. This is a good thing although many, who do nit understand the background, may disagree.

+1 on the Texas.3006 com app. I use it all the time. The can set notices to alert you when near 3006, 3007, and 51 locations. I especially like the 51 notice. I've carried twice inside a 51% location where I did not see the sign. This is a felony. I may have had cause for a defense due to the poor posting of the signs (beat the rap but not the ride?)
The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Topic author
Alaska2texas

Post by Alaska2texas »

Thank you rhino1! I will def check that out!!

Topic author
Alaska2texas

First day CC!

Post by Alaska2texas »

For a few hours today i finally cc for my first time! I went to a couple of different places like Lowe's, gas station, car wash. No big deal really, i found myself periodcally making sure my shirt covered the firearn which was at what is known as "430". It was def different, I think i made more of a big deal of it than i should have, at least in my head :tiphat: I expected people to pick up on it but the more i think of it, it may pop into their head that I'm more than likely a license to carry holder and or they see it often as TEXAS IS THE GREATEST PLACE ON EARTH and honor these laws that are for the American people!

I noticed a 30.07 sign at the HEB Gas station, so naturally i just walked in since there was no violation there to cc. Same went for lowes, only no sign was seen on the way in but i figured mentioned earlier in this convo home depot/lowes are 30.07 friendly.

As for now i have yet to see a 51%, im not much of a bar person, im the 25 year old young man searching for shade plants at lowes. :lol:

As for now i will carry more often. Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect!

ELB

Post by ELB »

Welcome to Texas! Thanks for your time with Big Green. :txflag: :patriot:
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
Alaska2texas

Post by Alaska2texas »

ELB thank you and thank you for your service to this great nation!

Easyasmc

Post by Easyasmc »

What were you in the Army? I just find it odd that you would feel uncomfortable or insecure about carrying a handgun.

Unless you have a vault in your vehicle, I would not leave a weapon in it.

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”