Prayer for surgery

Whether the need is great or small, there is power in prayer, especially when God's people raise their voices together.

Moderator: carlson1

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Prayer for surgery

Post by Excaliber »

Prayers sent a little late, but God hears late ones too.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

We have been praying for you since you mentioned it a few weeks ago. I hope you are at home recovering and everything went well. Please give our love to your family.

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Just saw this, TAM. Sending prayers up for your recovery!
Psalm 91:2

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Thank you for the prayers, everybody. The day of surgery was very rough, and I was in a lot of pain. They sent me home at 10am the day following (Friday). Friday was pretty tough because they took away the "good stuff". Saturday was a little better, and today was better yet.

I’m still pretty sore today, and covered in bruises. There’s 5 incisions on my abdomen so anything that uses stomach muscles hurts. But I am getting better and pain is becoming much more manageable. I was able to down a couple of Tylenol around 5am this morning, and those stood me in good stead for most of today until I took one hydrocodone this evening. That’s an improvement over yesterday when I had to take 2 hydrocodones during the day.

I was able to shower today, which was a nice change. Also, I’m getting up and walking around a little more today than yesterday. As of this morning, I’ve already lost 23 lbs since 10/21 when I started the pre-op liquid diet. My total weight loss goal is 170 lbs. My dietary goal is to be able to eat normal foods—albeit in very reduced quantities—by Christmas.

My ongoing struggles are these:

1. I can’t seem to reach my minimum fluids daily goal. My stomach is so small now that just a few sips of water fills it right up. But if I overdo it by even a little bit, it’s quite painful. I’m a little worried about becoming dehydrated. A nurse from the hospital called me this afternoon to follow up on my progress and I told her about it. She said to just do what I can for now. In a few days it’s going to get easier.

2. Nutrition… I’m supposed to also be drinking these clear protein drinks that are kind of like those vitamin water flavored drinks, but while they tasted fine to me before the surgery, now they seem so cloyingly sweet that I can’t stand them. The nurse also told me not to worry about that for the next few days either. By post-op week 2, I’ll be able to start drinking protein shakes again, and I’ll start getting caught up a bit.

I’ve been in touch with friends who’ve undergone the same surgery, and they’re helping me to keep a right perspective and to be focused on my goals. They have also encouraged me through their own examples.

I will say this for anybody who is considering this type of surgery……do it while you’re young. At age 69, this was a real beat down, and it was really hard. Of course throwing in a hiatal hernia repair didn’t help.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the prayers and encouragement. I really do appreciate it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

I have been off the site getting ready for deer season and missed your post. Sorry you are have pain from the surgery, but it sounds like it was successful. You have my prayers for comfort, diminishing pain and healing. I also wish you the best of luck on your food regimen.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Paladin »

Being in the hospital stinks. Glad you are home! Prayers for your continued recovery
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Prayer Requests & Updates”