Please pray for Kevin Tam's family

Whether the need is great or small, there is power in prayer, especially when God's people raise their voices together.

Moderator: carlson1

Don T
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Please pray for Kevin Tam's family

Post by Don T »

C-dub wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:09 pm
Beiruty wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:05 pm I am sorry to hear this sad news.
If there is an auction for his firearms, as an FFL dealer I can attand the auction if allowed.
BTW,In Texas, If there is no will, the next of the kin would not be the estate of the deceased?
I think in Texas, without a will or a spouse, everything goes to the state except for any lien holder. Then, whatever item there is still a lien on goes back to whoever holds the lien. Something like that. Maybe
It's actually a commonly-held misconception that "everything goes to the state." A more accurate way to state it is that "without a Will, the state determines where everything goes." The state determines that, though, through its inheritance laws. Here is a brief overview of what happens when an unmarried person residing in Texas dies without a Will:

Did the person have any children or further descendants? If so, everything goes to the children in equal shares. The children of a deceased child would receive that child's share.

If no descendants, were either of the person's parents living? If so, one-half goes to the father and one-half goes to the mother. If a parent is not living, that deceased parent's one-half goes to that parent's children.

If neither of the parents is living, then everything goes to the person's brothers and sisters (generally equally, but half-siblings receive less than full siblings). The children of a deceased sibling (that is, nieces and nephews) receive the share which would have gone to the deceased sibling.

if there is no surviving sibling, then generally one-half goes to paternal grandparents and one-half to maternal grandparents. If a grandparent is not living, that grandparent's share goes to his/her children or further descendants (that is, the deceased person's aunts and uncles, then cousins, second cousins, etc.).

In unusual situations, you might have to go further up the family tree to great-grandparents and down through their descendants.

Only if no relatives of the deceased person can be identified would the deceased person's assets ever "go to the state." I've only encountered this situation once, and that was many years ago.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Please pray for Kevin Tam's family

Post by C-dub »

Don T wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:17 am
C-dub wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:09 pm
Beiruty wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:05 pm I am sorry to hear this sad news.
If there is an auction for his firearms, as an FFL dealer I can attand the auction if allowed.
BTW,In Texas, If there is no will, the next of the kin would not be the estate of the deceased?
I think in Texas, without a will or a spouse, everything goes to the state except for any lien holder. Then, whatever item there is still a lien on goes back to whoever holds the lien. Something like that. Maybe
It's actually a commonly-held misconception that "everything goes to the state." A more accurate way to state it is that "without a Will, the state determines where everything goes." The state determines that, though, through its inheritance laws. Here is a brief overview of what happens when an unmarried person residing in Texas dies without a Will:
Thanks for that information. It's good to know that all or most of Kevin's possessions will go to his family. That's assuming he did not have a will. He very well may have, which would be unusual for someone so young and not in the military or in a very dangerous profession.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “Prayer Requests & Updates”