For my Dad

Whether the need is great or small, there is power in prayer, especially when God's people raise their voices together.

Moderator: carlson1

The_Busy_Mom
Posts in topic: 1

Re: For my Dad

Post by The_Busy_Mom »

RPBrown wrote:Again, thank you for the prayers

Update on dad.
He is back at the hospital this morning. He got out of bed by himself to go to the bathroom (didnt want to wake my sister who was sleeping on a cot in his room) and fell in the bathroom. Split his head open and pulled out some stitches (or staples) in his shoulder.

For those that talk about his spunk, when my mom passed away 4 years ago, he decided to get him a motorcycle so he could ride with me. Finally convinced him that if he was going to do it, to get a trike. Well he did just that, then a couple of months later he calls and tells me he has made reservations for all of us to go to Sturgis the next year. So, in 02 we made the trip to Sturgis because we couldn't talk him out of it. All was well and we all had a great time and wonderful memories for a lifetime.

Move ahead 2 more years we have had to take his keys to his truck away, I moved the trike to my house and now we don't know how to deal with his stubborn independence to keep him from hurting himself further. I don't think a nursing home is the answer because they don't keep as close of an eye on them as my sister does.

Please continue to pray for his healing and some wisdom for us to make the right decisions.
I know what you are going through. My mom is displaying some signs of early-onset dementia. She still works, but every day I wonder if I am going to get that call that she has gone and done something. Something like drive the wrong way in the parking garage, which I found out she did the other day. Or get lost in the building she is working in because she can't remember which floor she needs to be on. She moves between rooms in her official capacity on duty. She is scheduled to retire at the end of June, and has already been told by doctors that she shouldn't be driving, but she is a single, working woman, and very stubborn at that. I hope she lives to be your dad's age; she is 63 now. But I don't know how I am going to handle her perceived independence when she really needs to bow to some limitations.

I will be sending good Karma your way!

:txflag: TBM
Texas CHL Instructor / NRA Certified Instructor
Final Shot Armory - Specializing in Firearms Sales & Transfers, NFA Sales
$20 Transfers for Current TX CHL Holders, Military, Teachers, LEO / $25 Everyone else
http://www.FinalShotUS.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Topic author
RPBrown
Posts in topic: 7

Re: For my Dad

Post by RPBrown »

The_Busy_Mom wrote:
RPBrown wrote:Again, thank you for the prayers

Update on dad.
He is back at the hospital this morning. He got out of bed by himself to go to the bathroom (didnt want to wake my sister who was sleeping on a cot in his room) and fell in the bathroom. Split his head open and pulled out some stitches (or staples) in his shoulder.

For those that talk about his spunk, when my mom passed away 4 years ago, he decided to get him a motorcycle so he could ride with me. Finally convinced him that if he was going to do it, to get a trike. Well he did just that, then a couple of months later he calls and tells me he has made reservations for all of us to go to Sturgis the next year. So, in 02 we made the trip to Sturgis because we couldn't talk him out of it. All was well and we all had a great time and wonderful memories for a lifetime.

Move ahead 2 more years we have had to take his keys to his truck away, I moved the trike to my house and now we don't know how to deal with his stubborn independence to keep him from hurting himself further. I don't think a nursing home is the answer because they don't keep as close of an eye on them as my sister does.

Please continue to pray for his healing and some wisdom for us to make the right decisions.
I know what you are going through. My mom is displaying some signs of early-onset dementia. She still works, but every day I wonder if I am going to get that call that she has gone and done something. Something like drive the wrong way in the parking garage, which I found out she did the other day. Or get lost in the building she is working in because she can't remember which floor she needs to be on. She moves between rooms in her official capacity on duty. She is scheduled to retire at the end of June, and has already been told by doctors that she shouldn't be driving, but she is a single, working woman, and very stubborn at that. I hope she lives to be your dad's age; she is 63 now. But I don't know how I am going to handle her perceived independence when she really needs to bow to some limitations.

I will be sending good Karma your way!

:txflag: TBM
TBM, for what its worth, we have been dealing with early stages of Alzheimer's with him for a couple of years now. I was up there yesterday and the PT asked him about his wife. He said he couldn't remember if she was even still alive (she passed away in 2010). Now she did say it could be because of the head trauma but I have my doubts.

The best advise that I can tell you is to keep a close eye on your mother. We hear everyday it seems, about an elderly that wanders off. Your Mom is not that old (my age) so I know it will be tough on you both. At least I am blessed to have a brother and sister close by that can share in the responsibility.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Return to “Prayer Requests & Updates”