Prayers for Wisdom, Please

Whether the need is great or small, there is power in prayer, especially when God's people raise their voices together.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Dave2
Posts in topic: 4

Prayers for Wisdom, Please

Post by Dave2 »

On May 3rd, my job becomes a part-time position. I've got dibs on said position, if I want it, but PT ain't gonna cut it in the bills department. I'm debating whether I should just look for a new job straight away (including any possible options at the same company), or go back to school first. And whether I should take the PT gig in the meantime.

-Dave
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Prayers for Wisdom, Please

Post by carlson1 »

Dave you will be in our prayers for wisdom. Let us know how your employment works out.

strider67
Posts in topic: 1

Post by strider67 »

My Dad has always told me that The Good Lord won't close a door without opening a window...I pray that the right opportunity comes along for you.
"When things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plum, mad-dog mean. Cuz' if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win...that's just the way it is." - The Outlaw Josey Wales

jmra

Post by jmra »

Praying for wisdom.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

My prayers are with you both for wisdom and financial relief.

In October of 13 I was informed that my division would be closed (commercial A/C). I was to lay off all of my employees immediately and I would be kept on to close out any remaining commercial jobs until November 27. On the 27th I left that company and started my own company. With everyone's prayers and by the grace of God, it has been going like gangbusters since. I have brought on a partner to handle the residential side and even hired a few people to help with the work load.

I tell you this because you have just done the most important thing that you could. Ask for prayer. God will guide you. You just have to be willing to follow where he leads.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Lumberjack98

Post by Lumberjack98 »

Prayers for peace of mind and clarity in decisions.

Best of luck!

What kind of work do you do and what type of schooling are you contemplating?
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

RKirkwood

Post by RKirkwood »

Prayers for your future. Can you work part time and attend school?

Topic author
Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

strider67 wrote:My Dad has always told me that The Good Lord won't close a door without opening a window...I pray that the right opportunity comes along for you.
RPBrown wrote:I tell you this because you have just done the most important thing that you could. Ask for prayer. God will guide you. You just have to be willing to follow where he leads.
When I started the thread, I was (in my head, anyway) really only asking for wisdom picking between four paths. I hadn't even considered that God might have something altogether different in mind. You're right, though, I do need to be more open to following where he leads, even if it's not somewhere I would've chosen for myself. And without that mindset, I could've totally missed the right opportunity for being too focused on my desired opportunity.

Wow... you guys have packed a whole sermon for me into two sentences. It's succinct, to the point, and leaves plenty of time for loud worship music. Thank you both for pointing out where I might be going wrong. I'm not sure how this will change what I actually do to resolve the situation, but it will change how I approach it.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Dave2 wrote:
strider67 wrote:My Dad has always told me that The Good Lord won't close a door without opening a window...I pray that the right opportunity comes along for you.
RPBrown wrote:I tell you this because you have just done the most important thing that you could. Ask for prayer. God will guide you. You just have to be willing to follow where he leads.
When I started the thread, I was (in my head, anyway) really only asking for wisdom picking between four paths. I hadn't even considered that God might have something altogether different in mind. You're right, though, I do need to be more open to following where he leads, even if it's not somewhere I would've chosen for myself. And without that mindset, I could've totally missed the right opportunity for being too focused on my desired opportunity.

Wow... you guys have packed a whole sermon for me into two sentences. It's succinct, to the point, and leaves plenty of time for loud worship music. Thank you both for pointing out where I might be going wrong. I'm not sure how this will change what I actually do to resolve the situation, but it will change how I approach it.
I was going to copy RPBrown's post and agree along with adding my prayers. Obviously, I don't need to do the first part, so I'll just pray. :thumbs2:

Chas.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

praying for you
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Topic author
Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

Lumberjack98 wrote:Prayers for peace of mind and clarity in decisions.

Best of luck!

What kind of work do you do and what type of schooling are you contemplating?
Thanks. My degree is in Computer Science, but I'm currently a live audio engineer. It's just a fancy way of saying that I make the band sound good (at least to me... at least most of the time...). I was planning on trying to go back for a MS in Physics, or maybe Electrical, Mechanical, or Aeronautical Engineering, but I need to pray about it more. In any case, my undergraduate grades make it a long shot. I'm willing to put in the time and effort to start over and get another bull first (with better grades this time), but then there's some serious costs involved. Which brings me to...
RKirkwood wrote:Prayers for your future. Can you work part time and attend school?
Thank you. The short answer is yes. If nothing else, I could take my employer up on their offer of part-time employment, work Fridays and Saturdays, and go to school Monday through Thursday (assuming there are no conflicts with required classes, of course). The problem is that I'd almost be working the graveyard shift, and that combined with daytime classes would lead to an... interesting... sleep "schedule". Plus, I don't want to have to request time off (and they've been very clear in the past that it's only a request until they grant it) to study for midterms. or if I'm just stuck on certain concept and need a bit more time with the books. It's my understanding that some number of TA jobs are typically available to graduate students. If I go back to school, I'll probably have to pursue that as a way to help defray the costs (though it's also my understanding that said TA jobs don't pay very well, so maybe not).

I don't know... I'm leaning towards going back to school, but I'm just about to become dept-free, and I'd hate to get back into it without good cause. I'm going to call the admissions dept of a couple schools in the area, setup a appointments for hopefully next week, and pray on it.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Nothing I can add. Just prayers for you as you go forward.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

We are praying for more work for me & the SIL too. Will add you.
On the back to school decision too.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

rotor

Post by rotor »

Many young people pick a degree field in college which has limited earning potential so even though I am very big on education if you go that route for your masters ask yourself the big question, "what will I do when I grow up?" Whatever field you go into, make sure that you will want to spend your life at it and that it will pay the bills. Best of luck and I would think the part time work and continued education is the way to go but pick a field with a future. Get some specialty magazines in your potential new major and see what the job situation is in the want ads. Lot's of highly educated people in the unemployment lines.

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

rotor wrote:Many young people pick a degree field in college which has limited earning potential so even though I am very big on education if you go that route for your masters ask yourself the big question, "what will I do when I grow up?" Whatever field you go into, make sure that you will want to spend your life at it and that it will pay the bills. Best of luck and I would think the part time work and continued education is the way to go but pick a field with a future.
:iagree: I used to work with a guy getting a PhD in history. However, he had no plans to change careers afterward. He did IT (and did it well) to pay the bills. He studied history because he had a passion for the subject, with no illusions about the market value of a History PhD.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

Return to “Prayer Requests & Updates”