Wife to have rotator cuff surgery

Whether the need is great or small, there is power in prayer, especially when God's people raise their voices together.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
twomillenium
Posts in topic: 5

Wife to have rotator cuff surgery

Post by twomillenium »

My wife fell a couple of months ago and after much "therapy" we decided to request (in a demanding way) an MRI. The MRI showed that there was damage that could only be repaired be surgery. She is scheduled to have this day surgery Tuesday morning, if Harvey permits, or as soon as it can be rescheduled. She has been reading about recovery and said it takes a year. This is causing her to worry too much about something that she can not control. After showing her that this will not heal without surgery, she has committed to go through with it. She is not as concerned about the actual surgery as she is about the length of recovery. (it did not help when I told her that her secret dream of becoming the first female starting pitcher in MLB was not going to happen). After 42 years of marriage, I have even learned how to load the dishwasher correctly (tho I prefer the by hand method) and make a bed per her specs. I ask for prayers that everything will be successful and for her peace of mind. I know that there are more people out there with bigger dilemmas, but I am thankful that God listens to all prayer.
Thanks in advance,

John
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Wife to have rotator cuff surgery

Post by Excaliber »

twomillenium wrote:My wife fell a couple of months ago and after much "therapy" we decided to request (in a demanding way) an MRI. The MRI showed that there was damage that could only be repaired be surgery. She is scheduled to have this day surgery Tuesday morning, if Harvey permits, or as soon as it can be rescheduled. She has been reading about recovery and said it takes a year. This is causing her to worry too much about something that she can not control. After showing her that this will not heal without surgery, she has committed to go through with it. She is not as concerned about the actual surgery as she is about the length of recovery. (it did not help when I told her that her secret dream of becoming the first female starting pitcher in MLB was not going to happen). After 42 years of marriage, I have even learned how to load the dishwasher correctly (tho I prefer the by hand method) and make a bed per her specs. I ask for prayers that everything will be successful and for her peace of mind. I know that there are more people out there with bigger dilemmas, but I am thankful that God listens to all prayer.
Thanks in advance,

John
Before you commit to the big cut surgery, you may want to get a second opinion to see if your wife is a candidate for the new cowpatch technique. A friend of mine had this done a few weeks ago and she didn't need pain meds after the third day and had decent use of her arm right away. Her physical therapist was astounded. There are only a few docs doing this - I think there's only one in Texas, but it's worth looking into for the minimized pain and much more rapid recovery.

Another article can be found here.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

oohrah
Posts in topic: 1

Post by oohrah »

My wife and I both have had the classical RC surgery. The biggest PITA is the six weeks in a bound sling. The real key to recovery is to actually do the PT exercises, and yes it does take 6-9 months, but it's not too uncomfortable after a while, and as for me I have recovered almost full range of motion and no pain. Everyone reacts differently of course, but for me it beat the alternative of waking up every night in pain.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

flechero

Post by flechero »

Twomillenium- check out the procedure mentioned. Small tears don't heal in good numbers- and the whip of the rehab to have it not work is incredibly tough.

Excaliber wrote: A friend of mine had this done a few weeks ago and she didn't need pain meds after the third day and had decent use of her arm right away. Her physical therapist was astounded. There are only a few docs doing this - I think there's only one in Texas,
Would you mind asking who the Dr. was and letting me know? My first surgury did not take and the tear was much like the described purpose in the article linked above. I seems possible that I might be a candidate for this type of procedure.

Thanks!

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

oohrah wrote:My wife and I both have had the classical RC surgery. The biggest PITA is the six weeks in a bound sling. The real key to recovery is to actually do the PT exercises, and yes it does take 6-9 months, but it's not too uncomfortable after a while, and as for me I have recovered almost full range of motion and no pain. Everyone reacts differently of course, but for me it beat the alternative of waking up every night in pain.

:iagree:

I had surgery on my left shoulder in 2012. The recovery time, was slower than I liked, but PT was the only way I could have recovered as quickly as I did. She will need to follow all of the instructions, including doing home therapy. They will give her exercises to do at home. I had a door mounted rope an pulley system, that I used religiously. It is painful, but after about 6 months of PT, my range of motion was almost 90%, and my pain level was almost nil.
Sending prayers for a full recovery, and for you to learn to use not only the dishwasher, but proper bed making, clothes washing, and vacuum cleaner operation. :mrgreen:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Praying for y'all and that the recovery will be quick.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

Prayers for her surgery to be successful, with minimal pain and full recovery.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Thanks for the prayers. We looked at options, tear is complete with a 4 cm retraction of the ?? on the top, with a 4cm retraction and damage to the front. Doc said this would be done with micro-surgery and he has performed this many, many times. This is the same Doc that did my knee and foot with great results. Again thanks and keep us in your prayers.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

flechero wrote:Twomillenium- check out the procedure mentioned. Small tears don't heal in good numbers- and the whip of the rehab to have it not work is incredibly tough.

Excaliber wrote: A friend of mine had this done a few weeks ago and she didn't need pain meds after the third day and had decent use of her arm right away. Her physical therapist was astounded. There are only a few docs doing this - I think there's only one in Texas,
Would you mind asking who the Dr. was and letting me know? My first surgury did not take and the tear was much like the described purpose in the article linked above. I seems possible that I might be a candidate for this type of procedure.

Thanks!
My friend had the surgery by Dr. Scott Sigman in Massachusetts. The company that makes the implant is Rotation Medical. You might try contacting them to find out how you can locate a TX doctor that uses the same technique.

My wife may need this surgery too - she's undergoing tests now.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

thatguyoverthere

Post by thatguyoverthere »

I haven't had to undergo this, but have known several who have. All of them had good outcomes.

I will pray for you and your wife.

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

Had it done in 2011 when I was 61. Big cut required because of 3 separate tears. PT started with a electric operated arm exerciser chair, plus 3 times a week to a therapy center, and home exercises. Over door pulley, elastic bands, and unassisted motion exercises. I did all the exercises they said I should. Took 5 months to get back to work and have full range of motion. Now the only reminder is the 4 inch scar on my shoulder.
N5PNZ

Jnazee

Post by Jnazee »

A friend of mine is having this surgery right now. (Actually they should be in recovery by now)
Precious Heavenly Father, I'm praying for peace of mind, for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery with full range of motion restored. In Jesus name Amen

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I had it over 15 years ago and I suspect that improvements have been made in techniques. Back then it was a full cut around the shoulder joint and over a year of recovery to gain 3/4's of the range of motion I had before the tear.
Prayers are with your wife for healing and for you for patience.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Due to Harvey, surgery has been canceled, and will be rescheduled as soon as liquid sunshine stops and flooding goes away. Keep us in your prayers. Thanks

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

twomillenium wrote:Due to Harvey, surgery has been canceled, and will be rescheduled as soon as liquid sunshine stops and flooding goes away. Keep us in your prayers. Thanks
I kinda figured it would be postponed. I had surgery scheduled for tomorrow as well and it was cancelled late this afternoon. We'll keep her in our prayers.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Return to “Prayer Requests & Updates”