IDPA - PSC vs Arms Room

IDPA, IPSC, ICORE & More!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
terryg
Posts in topic: 2

IDPA - PSC vs Arms Room

Post by terryg »

I am still looking to do my first IDPA match. There are two locations in my area that host them that I am aware of: PSC and the Arms Room.

I wonder if anyone has any experience at both and can recommend which might be better for a beginner?
... this space intentionally left blank ...

williamkevin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: IDPA - PSC vs Arms Room

Post by williamkevin »

Hands down, start with The Arms Room. They are geared more to the beginner. Don't get me wrong, PSC puts on a great match, but their scenarios tend to be much more complicated. Either one you choose though, you'll meet folks that will be more than happy to show you the ropes.

LongHairedRedneck

Post by LongHairedRedneck »

I shot my first match at the Arms Room, made me feel right at home. Good bunch of guys that are great with explaining the way things work in IDPA. Also its every Monday night.
If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words.

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

williamkevin wrote:Don't get me wrong, PSC puts on a great match, but their scenarios tend to be much more complicated.
:iagree:
I shot PSC my first and only time. It was a blast, an adrenaline rush, but you were assumed to know all IDPA rules and if not, you were penalized - and unfairly I might say (and will elaborate below).
I really enjoyed the IDPA but walked away with a very small understanding of the why's and not the confidence to shoot another (yet).

/rant: Elaborate - It was my first time as I stated and the person running the group (RO?) I was in, I told him more than 1 time, it was my first, I told him I was using a PT111 with a 12 round magazine (3 times no less).
During the first stage, I was penalized for not moving across the course as was supposed to. I do NOT mind being penalized for that, as I really did not expect to win anything, just have some fun.
Until the person just after me did the same thing and the RO told him, " I wont penalize you as this is only your SECOND time doing IDPA".. again, I don't mind being penalized, paying the piper or whatever, but all i ask is fairness.
later in the day, 4 or 5 stages later, there was a drill where you had to shoot 1 in each of the chest (6 shots total) then 1 in each head (6 shots total) from a seated position. I shot 12 shots, did not reload and he penalized me for that. Noone had ever said you can only have x number of rounds loaded, etc, etc, etc. \rant

So while I am a member of PSC, and I will shoot IDPA again, I think I would rather go somewhere smaller and more into helping than just running the course, until I understood the rules properly.
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

gwashorn
Posts in topic: 3

Post by gwashorn »

Well, first let me say I am sorry about your PSC experience for IDPA. I can tell you that is not the norm. They do give a 1st time IDPA prep talk before you shoot. So I am curious if you did the IDPA rule instruction for first time participants. It is normally near the check in building just before they start. Please do go again. I missed this months due to family issues. But I try to go all the time. It is really good fun. The people are great and it is very well run. As for rules and having fun, it is a sanctioned match so they do have to follow them, though equally. I have watched before on past times and they assess the penalties because they have to.

As for learning and enjoyment, I also shoot the Arm Room on Monday nights and it is fun, more relaxed and they do have a first timers meeting before each match to explain things. It is not sanctioned yet, but they are working toward that I believe. But they do gear it as an introduction and have fun type approach. So do go and you will have fun. As noted the scenarios in general are a bit less complicated due to physical room because it is inside. BUT, I have had some there before that were just plain crazy fun. They also make some of the scenarios simplier so we don't get out so late. It is a work week night and it does take a while to get through all 6 stages. But the group is friendly, fun and everyone tries to help. The PSC being outdoors allows for some more complicated scenarios which is good because as you get used to the competition you will realize keeping your mental focus on what you need to do while reloading, moving, paying attention to targets, non threats, moving targets etc, helps you learn to keep your wits in a real situation. there is not one of us that has not shot the GOOD GUY, Non-Threat (NT). We just say if he was not smart enough to duck then he deserved to be shot.... :fire

I have not been shooting much at all the last 6 weeks due to caring for family members medical issues but hope to get back in soon. But do go to both, get to know the folks, relax, enjoy, watch the others and you will have fun. Be safe, follow the SO giving instructions and don't get in a hurry. I hope to see you there and meet.
Gary
AGGIE '74
NRA, TSRA, TFC
Team Trainwreck

Topic author
terryg
Posts in topic: 2

Post by terryg »

Thank you for all of the replies. I think I will try the Arms Room first. Just need my newly purchased magazine pouch to come in now ...
... this space intentionally left blank ...

gwashorn

Post by gwashorn »

terryg wrote:Thank you for all of the replies. I think I will try the Arms Room first. Just need my newly purchased magazine pouch to come in now ...
Well, I am hoping I can go this next Monday. it has been way too long for me. Hope we can see you there.
Gary
AGGIE '74
NRA, TSRA, TFC
Team Trainwreck

bnc

Post by bnc »

I've done my first 2 at PSC and it has been great. I'm surprised and sorry that your first experience there wasn't to your liking; in my experience everyone has been very friendly and willing to help a newbie like me.

I haven't been to the Arms Room IDPA yet, but do plan to try it at some point.

Either way, once you start shooting IDPA regular range shooting just won't be enough anymore. :mrgreen:

Piney

Post by Piney »

At some point in one's IDPA journey, shooters will have to learn and play with the rules. At all of the various IDPA clubs' matches , shooters will get penalites for rules infractions. Some regular weekly/monthly matches/SO's are less stringent. But--if one decides to shoot at a larger match and still doesnt know the rules, you'll rack up the penalties.

I generally agree with the folks' at the Arm's Room Monday matches position-- lots of new shooters so rather than penalize shooters for every infration, just come safely shoot and have fun. Its a great leaning experience. That being said, I feel it can also become a disservice in that the shooter won't understand some of the occasionally confusing rules and learn how to shoot with ( or around hehheh) them.

Personally, I want to know when I've mis-shot a stage in some fashon-either gain a penalty or just a comment. I feel it makes me a better shooter. I'll even try to remember it the next time (stop chuckling WHIDPA guys...turn the door knob clockwise....).

Hope to see ya next month out at the PSC match !

gwashorn

Post by gwashorn »

Piney wrote:At some point in one's IDPA journey, shooters will have to learn and play with the rules. At all of the various IDPA clubs' matches , shooters will get penalites for rules infractions. Some regular weekly/monthly matches/SO's are less stringent. But--if one decides to shoot at a larger match and still doesnt know the rules, you'll rack up the penalties.

I generally agree with the folks' at the Arm's Room Monday matches position-- lots of new shooters so rather than penalize shooters for every infration, just come safely shoot and have fun. Its a great leaning experience. That being said, I feel it can also become a disservice in that the shooter won't understand some of the occasionally confusing rules and learn how to shoot with ( or around hehheh) them.

Personally, I want to know when I've mis-shot a stage in some fashon-either gain a penalty or just a comment. I feel it makes me a better shooter. I'll even try to remember it the next time (stop chuckling WHIDPA guys...turn the door knob clockwise....).

Hope to see ya next month out at the PSC match !
I have to agree with Piney. And at the Arms Room matches, those of us who feel a new comer is truly interested, we explain the penalty or issue we see that the person should be aware of if they shot regular matches. Some just don't like the rules and want to shoot and that is fine. But remember, this is a competition that like all games has rules. One example I have seen is holster cant and location. Stage problems like moving between cover with an unloaded weapon and things like that. But it is meant to help those persons. The rules are for a reason and make it a level playing field as much as possible. IMHO, once you have been shooting a few like at the Arms Room and want to really move up, then simple things like using a concealment garment should be done so you know what it really is like if you shoot a sanctioned match. You do yourself well to then try and understand and follow those rules to make yourself better. I like the pressure and enjoy it. But most of all be safe. My Two Cents
Gary
AGGIE '74
NRA, TSRA, TFC
Team Trainwreck

BKnight

Post by BKnight »

I went to the Arms Room for my first IDPA match last Monday. I had never shot any type of event like this before. EVERYONE was super friendly and understanding!!!! They even let my 11 yr old son watch and film his daddy failing horribly...lol. It was a blast!!! Even with a wweapon that jammed alot, I still had a great time. I recommend the Arms Room to anyone interested in getting started with IDPA.
ps... I got a new weapon for fathers day, goin to IDPA practice in a couple hours to try it out...

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

In defense of the PSC IDPA team, I had my newbie match last month there. My experience was very positive. I also was blissfully unaware of the 10 round max, and made other mistakes; but they were laughed off as I was gently educated on the issues.

Now, if they would just fix the air conditioning problem out at PSC, we'd be all set!
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Return to “Competitive Shooting”