IDPA, IPSC, ICORE & More!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
C-dub
Posts in topic: 7

C-dub's first IDPA match

Post by C-dub »

I had a blast today!!!

A couple of new friends of mine introduced me to a new privately owned range and they hold all kinds of matches every month, including an IDPA match. One of them is a current member of this range and the other might be a new member. I went in April to watch the current member compete and afterward I wished I would have gone ahead and entered for two reasons. First, it looked like a LOT of fun and not as difficult as I thought. Second, it was a certification match. I decided that day that I would be entered in the next match I could attend, which was this month's match.

I don't know what my match score is yet. However, if I did my math correct (long shot in this case) my total match score/time was 154.43 seconds with 32 total points down. I know there were a couple of guys with only 12 & 18 points down, so we'll see. There were five stages and two of the stages had moving targets. One was on a pulley that we attached to one of our belt loops that was one wheels. That was my first stage. At the start we had to begin walking backward, so that the moving target rolled toward us at twice the speed we walked. We had to place at least one shot in three other targets before engaging the moving target. The other moving target, on a different stage, was a swinging target that only swung once and we had to put three shots in it before it went behind "hard cover."

During my first two stages I did okay, but discovered that I was not using my sights. I was point shooting and not even looking at my front sight. I tried to calm myself down a bit and focus on my front sight on the remaining three stages and I did a little better.

I don't think I'll be any where near the top of the pack and might be bringing up the rear, but I still had a BLAST today. The members at this range are really great people!!! They have a limited membership and I put my name on their today. I also joined IDPA tonight. Hopefully, it won't take too long to process that and I'll be able to enter next month's match.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Re: C-dub's first IDPA match

Post by Jumping Frog »

Sounds great! Glad you enjoyed yourself. Looks like you've found yourself a new sport.

When you are new to IDPA, I think the best approach is to view it as you are competing against yourself, trying to improve on each match. Don't worry about other people's scores.

For newcomers, I also encourage focusing first on accuracy and then gradually increase the speed over time. It is hard to shoot fast enough to make up the 2.5 seconds you lose for missing a target, hitting a non-threat, or failing to neutralize.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

If my IDPA membership card arrives before next month's match I'll be there and focusing on marksmanship more than time. I wasn't really too focused on time anyway and was careful not to rush, but still noticed the slight increase in stress because of it being a competition caused me to start off not shooting the way I practice.

It's kind of like golf, I guess. I might be playing against another player, but at least they're not trying to tackle me while I lining up to hit the ball. I'll keep track of my scores and points down and just try to score better next time each time.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

The Marshal

Post by The Marshal »

C-Dub,
I got an email from the Admin saying they were NOT accepting new members at this time. :(
I am on a waiting list.
Now, that could change, because Mike told me that the 3 new shooting bays were open while you were there!
And he told me that y'all had a lot of fun.
I hate having to work Saturdays.... I always miss out on the shooting events!

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

The Marshal wrote:C-Dub,
I got an email from the Admin saying they were NOT accepting new members at this time. :(
I am on a waiting list.
Now, that could change, because Mike told me that the 3 new shooting bays were open while you were there!
And he told me that y'all had a lot of fun.
I hate having to work Saturdays.... I always miss out on the shooting events!
I noticed on their calendar that they are having a "new member orientation" in another week or two. I had hoped that you might be one of those new members. I added my name to that list.

k6gixx

Post by k6gixx »

What club might this be gentlemen? I'm looking to start IDPA matches
The American flag does not fly because the wind moves past it-The American flag flies from the last breath of each military member who has died protecting it, American soldiers don't fight because they hate what's in front of them...they fight because they love what's behind them."

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

The results are in and I did better than I thought. I was second in the SSP-Unclassified group and 24/37 overall. I know it was only my first match, but I thought for sure I'd beat at least one of the revolver guys. But, NO, not one of them. The closest one was still 20 seconds faster than me. :shock:

My IDPA membership card arrived today. Did my membership online on the 16th and my card arrived today. Some of the guys at the match were telling of stories about people waiting 4+ months. I was crossing my fingers hoping it would get here within the month so I could enter next month's match. As of today, I'm good to go!

discoqueen
Posts in topic: 2

Post by discoqueen »

k6gixx wrote:What club might this be gentlemen? I'm looking to start IDPA matches
Is it a secret club? I'd like to know also. ;-)
How many tools are in your toolbox?
www.DefensiveMindset.com

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

discoqueen wrote:
k6gixx wrote:What club might this be gentlemen? I'm looking to start IDPA matches
Not a secret, but it is a private club and I didn't know if they would appreciate me identifying them since I'm not a member. However, I contacted them and they said it was fine if I did.

It is the Terrell Rifle & Pistol Club. I have only been to 4-5 different ranges, but this is the first gun club I've been to. The match last week had 37 shooters. I'm learning that is a fairly big number for a local club match. I thought it was ran extremely well and went very smoothly. I have put my name on their waiting list to join the club and I hope it won't be too long of a wait. It might be a couple of years,but we'll see. Their matches are still open to the public, so I'll just have to make sure I get entered early and show up early before it get's filled up.

discoqueen
Posts in topic: 2

Post by discoqueen »

C-dub wrote:
discoqueen wrote:
Not a secret, but it is a private club and I didn't know if they would appreciate me identifying them since I'm not a member. However, I contacted them and they said it was fine if I did.

It is the Terrell Rifle & Pistol Club. I have only been to 4-5 different ranges, but this is the first gun club I've been to. The match last week had 37 shooters. I'm learning that is a fairly big number for a local club match. I thought it was ran extremely well and went very smoothly. I have put my name on their waiting list to join the club and I hope it won't be too long of a wait. It might be a couple of years,but we'll see. Their matches are still open to the public, so I'll just have to make sure I get entered early and show up early before it get's filled up.
Thanks, C-Dub. Glad you had a good time. Maybe one of these days I'll find my way to a match.
How many tools are in your toolbox?
www.DefensiveMindset.com

jason237m

Post by jason237m »

C-dub wrote:I know it was only my first match, but I thought for sure I'd beat at least one of the revolver guys. But, NO, not one of them. The closest one was still 20 seconds faster than me. :shock:
It doesn't suprise me that much, those of us that choose to shoot a revolver in IDPA are usually guys who have been doing it for awhile and want to move on to a new challenge after years of shooting automatics.

Topic author
C-dub

Re: C-dub's Second IDPA match

Post by C-dub »

Second match today was HOT. I didn't think very many people would show up because of that, but there were still over 30 shooters.

I don't know how I did over all yet, but it was an interesting day. My average point loss per stage doubled, but I think the stages were more difficult this time. Plus, on one of the stages we had to shoot weak hand and I had not yet practiced weak hand since I switched to .45s. That actually setup the strangest stage for me today. Starting off with the gun in the weak hand low at the ready from behind cover we were supposed to put three shoots each into two BG at about 40 and 20 feet (could have been farther or could have been closer, IDK) before transitioning to the next shooting point in the stage. The first, farthest, target I only got 2/15 points, so 13 down. After the first shot on the second target I had an FTE. I looked down, saw the case, and just pulled it out. I still had two shots to put into this target and pulled trigger ... click. Argh! Rack the slide and put two shots down range and move on. Walking up to score we find the first target still living, but when we get to the second target the three of us just stand there starring at for several seconds. There was one shot COM and two to the head for zero points lost. I think I was the only one to do this on this stage and they asked me why I went for head shots. Here's the funny part ... I told them I wasn't aiming for the head! I was still aiming COM. :shock: "rlol"

cyphur

Post by cyphur »

Sounds like a blast! I've shot at that range previously with The Marshal back when I lived in Garland. Living out in Flower Mound, Terrel is a bit of a drive! I would gladly make that drive for long range rifle but as far as pistol there are closer ranges to me.

I am also very interested in getting into competitive shooting but only have weekends available so it is tough to get everything fit into it.
C-dub wrote:Second match today was HOT. I didn't think very many people would show up because of that, but there were still over 30 shooters.

I don't know how I did over all yet, but it was an interesting day. My average point loss per stage doubled, but I think the stages were more difficult this time. Plus, on one of the stages we had to shoot weak hand and I had not yet practiced weak hand since I switched to .45s. That actually setup the strangest stage for me today. Starting off with the gun in the weak hand low at the ready from behind cover we were supposed to put three shoots each into two BG at about 40 and 20 feet (could have been farther or could have been closer, IDK) before transitioning to the next shooting point in the stage. The first, farthest, target I only got 2/15 points, so 13 down. After the first shot on the second target I had an FTE. I looked down, saw the case, and just pulled it out. I still had two shots to put into this target and pulled trigger ... click. Argh! Rack the slide and put two shots down range and move on. Walking up to score we find the first target still living, but when we get to the second target the three of us just stand there starring at for several seconds. There was one shot COM and two to the head for zero points lost. I think I was the only one to do this on this stage and they asked me why I went for head shots. Here's the funny part ... I told them I wasn't aiming for the head! I was still aiming COM. :shock: "rlol"

Topic author
C-dub

Post by C-dub »

cyphur wrote:Sounds like a blast! I've shot at that range previously with The Marshal back when I lived in Garland. Living out in Flower Mound, Terrel is a bit of a drive! I would gladly make that drive for long range rifle but as far as pistol there are closer ranges to me.

I am also very interested in getting into competitive shooting but only have weekends available so it is tough to get everything fit into it.
C-dub wrote:Second match today was HOT. I didn't think very many people would show up because of that, but there were still over 30 shooters.

The Marshal and a friend of his are who first took me out there. Great guys!

Return to “Competitive Shooting”