Noob needs more info

IDPA, IPSC, ICORE & More!

Moderator: carlson1

jmain
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Noob needs more info

Post by jmain »

anomie wrote:
jmain wrote:Don't try and go fast your first few matches, more than likely you will move like a snail, or forget to move at all. Just stay safe and learn.
I've been thinking about going to a match and hearing that makes me a lot more likely to actually go do it. I'd want to go snail slow to start. (I'd also want to do something that allowed drawing/shooting from concealment - are there different rules for that in IDPA vs. IPSC vs. USPSA? )
Absolutely.

Drawing from conceal equals Idpa.

I have seen guys Move no faster than -50% of normal. No one said a word. They were safe and at a speed they were comfortable at. That is how it should be. Competition doesn't equal blazing speed. Slow and safe and no dq is still a great day. Go to competition to learn first, speed will follow.

Have fun!
Texas CHL Instructor
www.austinarmory.com
IWB Custom Holsters - CHL Classes - CHL/Holster Packages.

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JALLEN »

anomie wrote:
I've been thinking about going to a match and hearing that makes me a lot more likely to actually go do it. I'd want to go snail slow to start. (I'd also want to do something that allowed drawing/shooting from concealment - are there different rules for that in IDPA vs. IPSC vs. USPSA? )
IDPA requires drawing from concealment and often shooting from/around cover, or moving or both. Watch some of the Youtube IDPA classifiers, and the other stages too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcgsd9_cBm8 There are all sorts of situations they dream up.

Although gear is a factor in IDPA results probably, the emphasis is on techniques, rather than fancy equipment, or was when I was going to matches a few years back. Most of the fancy IPSC type gear is illegal in IDPA. They want you to use what you carry.

My SEAL buddies always claimed that "slow is smooth, smooth is fast." Take your time, make good hits, the time takes care of itself, and with practice pretty soon you have it down.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

jmain
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jmain »

JALLEN wrote:
anomie wrote:
IDPA requires drawing from concealment and often shooting from/around cover, or moving or both. Watch some of the Youtube IDPA classifiers, and the other stages too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcgsd9_cBm8 There are all sorts of situations they dream up.

Although gear is a factor in IDPA results probably, the emphasis is on techniques, rather than fancy equipment, or was when I was going to matches a few years back. Most of the fancy IPSC type gear is illegal in IDPA. They want you to use what you carry.

My SEAL buddies always claimed that "slow is smooth, smooth is fast." Take your time, make good hits, the time takes care of itself, and with practice pretty soon you have it down.
Idpa does focus on defensive stages while uspsa is run and gun. Never heard it called fancy... :???:

Production allows shooters to shoot factory guns, like most chl carry. That division also has some of the best shooters, simply because of the challenge.

Limited and open really do require custom pistols and loading your ammo specific to your gun and how you like it to shoot. Yes it can get expensive, and if you haven't shot a 2011 or a custom singlestack designed for competition, it is hard to explain, other than just darned fun.

Usually Idpa guys and uspsa guys don't agree in what is best...
I am a believer that if you are doing either, you are doing the most as far as practice goes...

If you like red dots and comps or cowby shooting, it is all shooting at the end of the day.

:thumbs2:
Texas CHL Instructor
www.austinarmory.com
IWB Custom Holsters - CHL Classes - CHL/Holster Packages.

Return to “Competitive Shooting”