IDPA - Gun Choice - Glock 34 vs M&P Pro 9L vs ...?

IDPA, IPSC, ICORE & More!

Moderator: carlson1

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 3

Re: IDPA - Gun Choice - Glock 34 vs M&P Pro 9L vs ...?

Post by Skiprr »

Rangel wrote:Why wouldnt the xdm be able to be shot in SSP? not like it really matters to me, I have a trigger job with a overtravel stop so I would have to shoot ESP anyways.
When Springfield first introduced the modified Croatian HS2000 to the U.S. market as the XD, and it caught on, the powers that be at IDPA HQ evaluated the pistol.

SSP requires that the pistol used be classified as Double Action, and that definition, by the IDPA, is that each pull of the trigger performs two separate actions. First, it cocks or retracts the hammer/striker, and second it releases the hammer/striker. With the XD, the striker is fully retracted by the cycling of the pistol and pulling the trigger performs only one action: it releases the striker. Therefore, the IDPA judged it to be a Single Action pistol, not a DA.

There was controversy around that decision at first. I don't think it was due to any argument that the XD was technically SA--it was marketed that way in Europe as the HS2000--but that the Glock was considered a DA, and SSP, while the XD was pushed to SA, and ESP. See, the cycling action of a Glock also retracts the striker...but only 2/3 of the way. Pulling the trigger completes the other 1/3 of the striker tensioning, then releases it. That's why the trigger on a stock Glock can feel a bit mushier than the one on a stock XD.

So that's the history in a nutshell. Of course, you can also shoot a .45 ACP XD in the CDP division, as well.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

I pu a glock 17 for this yesterday. I want to use normal duty weapons as it will be practice for work.

Rangel
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Rangel »

Skiprr wrote:
Rangel wrote:Why wouldnt the xdm be able to be shot in SSP? not like it really matters to me, I have a trigger job with a overtravel stop so I would have to shoot ESP anyways.
When Springfield first introduced the modified Croatian HS2000 to the U.S. market as the XD, and it caught on, the powers that be at IDPA HQ evaluated the pistol.

SSP requires that the pistol used be classified as Double Action, and that definition, by the IDPA, is that each pull of the trigger performs two separate actions. First, it cocks or retracts the hammer/striker, and second it releases the hammer/striker. With the XD, the striker is fully retracted by the cycling of the pistol and pulling the trigger performs only one action: it releases the striker. Therefore, the IDPA judged it to be a Single Action pistol, not a DA.

There was controversy around that decision at first. I don't think it was due to any argument that the XD was technically SA--it was marketed that way in Europe as the HS2000--but that the Glock was considered a DA, and SSP, while the XD was pushed to SA, and ESP. See, the cycling action of a Glock also retracts the striker...but only 2/3 of the way. Pulling the trigger completes the other 1/3 of the striker tensioning, then releases it. That's why the trigger on a stock Glock can feel a bit mushier than the one on a stock XD.

So that's the history in a nutshell. Of course, you can also shoot a .45 ACP XD in the CDP division, as well.

awesome info, Thanks!

v-rog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by v-rog »

If it hasn't been mentioned yet, try to rent the pistols in question and shoot each one. If the range doesn't have one, try to borrow one.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Remember 31 Connollystraße & Benghazi
Faith Under Fire ISBN# 9780307408815

FishInTx
Posts in topic: 1

Post by FishInTx »

Ever get your M&P Jumping Frog? How's it running?

Topic author
Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Jumping Frog »

FishInTx wrote:Ever get your M&P Jumping Frog? How's it running?
Life intervened.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Skiprr »

george wrote:Just a note, the revised IDPA rulebook looks like all striker fired pistols will be eligible for ssp, including H&K P7 (again).
Yep; that looks to be the case. A logical win for XD shooters, I think.

The proposed 2013 Rule Book (which will replace the 2005 version) would take effect on October 1, after the 2013 Nationals. The proposed Rule Book was posted on the IDPA website May 7, right after the NRA National Meeting in Houston. Folks interested can view and download it here: http://www.idpa.com/compete/rules.

Looking at the equipment rules, I wasn't completely certain they'd allowed the XD into SSP or not: it mentions that DA and striker-fired pistols are SSP eligible, but then it goes on with what seems to be the previous distinction between DA and SA.

However, Joyce Wilson was interviewed May 5, while at the NRA National Meeting, by ProArms Podcast (http://proarmspodcast.com/2013/05/05/08 ... ce-wilson/) and seven minutes into the interview she very clearly states that XDs will be SSP eligible under the rules.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

gigag04
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gigag04 »

A long slide P7 would crush. Even with the shorter barrel and of the shelf ammo - it's like playing a video game. I couldn't imagine a mouse fart custom load cycling a heavier slide. That would be amazing.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Return to “Competitive Shooting”