2.5lb or 3.5lb trigger pull -thoughts on which for IDPA?

IDPA, IPSC, ICORE & More!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

2.5lb or 3.5lb trigger pull -thoughts on which for IDPA?

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

Looking at modifying the trigger pull on a just acquired M&P Pro for tactical competitions. I have an M&P FS now with a 3.5lb pull with a clean break (more like a 1911), but am wondering if an ~2.5lb pull (but it would be a little more squishy) would be better for this new pistol, since I have the opportunity. I noticed, at least with me, the lighter the pull the more accurate, but obviously too light could be a problem too.

Unfortunately the only example I have of a lighter pull is an old .22 Ruger, but it finally broke on a permanent basis (I loved the pull on it).

Thoughts anyone?

thatguy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 2.5lb or 3.5lb trigger pull -thoughts on which for IDPA?

Post by thatguy »

3.5 lb with a clean break beats a 2.5 lb "squishy" break in my opinion. :fire
In the endless pursuit of perfection, we may achieve excellence.

Texas LTC and School Safety Instructor and NRA Training Counselor

SPDGG
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SPDGG »

thatguy wrote:3.5 lb with a clean break beats a 2.5 lb "squishy" break in my opinion. :fire
+1 Agree, I'll take "crisp/clean" that is slightly heavier/predictable/consistent over a lighter trigger breaking weight with sponge like feedback.

Topic author
Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

I guess I should note an epilogue, now that I’ve been able to take it to competition.

Completed everything about two weeks ago, with the first competition at the Austin Texas Tactical match.

*KKM barrel
*adjustable rear sight
*replaced fiber optic sight with a taller one to account for the adjustable rear sight.
*class three trigger job from Apex. Free of labor they also put in a reset stop. At the gunsmith they tested the pull at 3.2lbs. I am thinking the trigger pull might lighten further after use, but I hope not as its perfect now.

I finally have an M&P as accurate as my old tweaked Beretta. Hurray!
The trigger pull is VERY light but breaks gently. There’s no mushiness. In fact I don’t notice anything, just the recoil after its shot.  In reality I think “shoot” and it fires. I highly recommend it if you’re of a competition mind for S&W.
Caveat: obviously this is not for carry, and it would be an incredibly bad idea to do so. The first couple of rounds at practice and first shot in competition were wild until I adjusted to how light it is. My carry piece is unmodified, except for a few thousand rounds through it. After five hundred it smoothed out and was just fine for carry work without modification.

Return to “Competitive Shooting”