First IDPA Match

IDPA, IPSC, ICORE & More!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 2

First IDPA Match

Post by TexasCajun »

I finally got to shoot my first IDPA match last Saturday at PSC. I've been wanting to do it for a while, and circumstances finally came together for it to happen. I'm glad that PSC only holds matches once per month, because I can see where this could reach obsessive proportions.

Anyway, top among the plentiful new-shooter advice was to have fun and take my time. I did both. My main focus was to take each portion of each stage deliberately and try to put quality shots on target. I didn't have as many procedural errors as I thought I would, and I didn't get DQd. But I also had more trouble putting shots on target than I thought I would. I was dead-last on the score sheet, but I'm not so worried about that right now. For the next match, I'll try to reduce the number of procedural penalties and improve my accuracy.

Last, but not least, I want to give a huge thanks to the IDPA crew at PSC for putting together an awesome match. The scenarios were challenging, but not overwhelming for a newbie. Also, all of the folks were very welcoming to me and the other new guy.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

canvasbck
Posts in topic: 1

Re: First IDPA Match

Post by canvasbck »

TexasCajun wrote:I finally got to shoot my first IDPA match last Saturday at PSC. I've been wanting to do it for a while, and circumstances finally came together for it to happen. I'm glad that PSC only holds matches once per month, because I can see where this could reach obsessive proportions.

Anyway, top among the plentiful new-shooter advice was to have fun and take my time. I did both. My main focus was to take each portion of each stage deliberately and try to put quality shots on target. I didn't have as many procedural errors as I thought I would, and I didn't get DQd. But I also had more trouble putting shots on target than I thought I would. I was dead-last on the score sheet, but I'm not so worried about that right now. For the next match, I'll try to reduce the number of procedural penalties and improve my accuracy.

Last, but not least, I want to give a huge thanks to the IDPA crew at PSC for putting together an awesome match. The scenarios were challenging, but not overwhelming for a newbie. Also, all of the folks were very welcoming to me and the other new guy.
Don't worry, once you get into it, you will learn that you can shoot matches 4-5 times a week if you want ;-) . I'm pretty sure that heroin would have been a cheaper habit for me than IDPA.
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

I try to shoot about three matches a month myself.

Topic author
TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TexasCajun »

Well, the agreement that I made with my mrs when I joined PSC was that I wouldn't short change my honey-dos. And she's holding me to that. For an all morning match, I had to make sure that all of my chores were done + some of hers. Shooting IDPA more than once a month would mean I'd have to cut back to working part time!
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

gwashorn

Post by gwashorn »

YUP pretty much my most expensive habit now. 2,000 rounds/month, matches and equipment. But sure love it. 2 to 3 matches a week, practice etc. Welcome to your new habit.
Gary
AGGIE '74
NRA, TSRA, TFC
Team Trainwreck

Return to “Competitive Shooting”