Texas State IDPA match

IDPA, IPSC, ICORE & More!

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
MegaWatt
Posts in topic: 6

Texas State IDPA match

Post by MegaWatt »

OK, who shot this match and what did you think of it?
MegaWatt

NRA Endowment Life
TSRA Life
IHMSA
IDPA

Colt - The original "Point and Click" device.

jbarn
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Texas State IDPA match

Post by jbarn »

Where was it?
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

Topic author
MegaWatt

Post by MegaWatt »

It was in Cresson. SW of Ft. Worth.
MegaWatt

NRA Endowment Life
TSRA Life
IHMSA
IDPA

canvasbck
Posts in topic: 4

Post by canvasbck »

I shot it. Shot well, but wished I had passed on this one. Cover calls were stupid tight. I wound up with 6PE's, exactly double the number of PE's I incurred during the last 7 sanctioned matches combined.
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

canvasbck wrote:I shot it. Shot well, but wished I had passed on this one. Cover calls were stupid tight. I wound up with 6PE's, exactly double the number of PE's I incurred during the last 7 sanctioned matches combined.
That's what I heard also.

Chas.

gljjt
Posts in topic: 3

Post by gljjt »

I have never shot IDPA. What are cover calls and PEs? Thanks!

jmra
Posts in topic: 5

Post by jmra »

gljjt wrote:I have never shot IDPA. What are cover calls and PEs? Thanks!
This may help on cover calls explanation
http://www.lakecountyidpa.com/images/Th ... _Cover.pdf

A PE is a Procedural Error.
A link to the rules
http://members.idpa.com/Content/Rules/024rkapr.nst.pdf
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

gljjt

Post by gljjt »

Thanks!

extremist

Post by extremist »

canvasbck wrote:I shot it. Shot well, but wished I had passed on this one. Cover calls were stupid tight. I wound up with 6PE's, exactly double the number of PE's I incurred during the last 7 sanctioned matches combined.
Well, you could think that - but as an SO on Stage 5, I can tell you we were calling cover properly and not too tight and not too loose. We awarded a lot of earned PEs on our stage. ;-)

I think the problem comes from local club matches not calling cover correctly and people come to large sanctioned matches and get called for cover. I'm not saying that was you - but that is the case a lot of times.

We still have people that come to sanctioned matches and complain they get an FTN on a swinger. "Because we never give FTNs on a swinger at our local matches" :rolll

Unfortunately, I dug myself a 20 second hole on THAT exact stage (which was MY Stage to SO which makes it more pathetic) because I ran by the target on the right and didn't engage it and then shot the no-shoot at the back. :cryin

But I still didn't end up last in my division (ESP/EX) - so some saving grace in that :roll:

James
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

A "cover call" is a warning to the shooter they are not using cover properly. A PE is a procedural error that adds 3 seconds to the score. A procedural is a violation of the stage rules such as shooting targets in the wrong order, improper use of cover, etc. :tiphat:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

gljjt

Post by gljjt »

MoJo wrote:
A "cover call" is a warning to the shooter they are not using cover properly. A PE is a procedural error that adds 3 seconds to the score. A procedural is a violation of the stage rules such as shooting targets in the wrong order, improper use of cover, etc. :tiphat:
Thanks. I might need to look into IDPA.

Topic author
MegaWatt

Post by MegaWatt »

extremist wrote:
Well, you could think that - but as an SO on Stage 5, I can tell you we were calling cover properly and not too tight and not too loose. We awarded a lot of earned PEs on our stage. ;-)

I think the problem comes from local club matches not calling cover correctly and people come to large sanctioned matches and get called for cover. I'm not saying that was you - but that is the case a lot of times.

We still have people that come to sanctioned matches and complain they get an FTN on a swinger. "Because we never give FTNs on a swinger at our local matches" :rolll

Unfortunately, I dug myself a 20 second hole on THAT exact stage (which was MY Stage to SO which makes it more pathetic) because I ran by the target on the right and didn't engage it and then shot the no-shoot at the back. :cryin

But I still didn't end up last in my division (ESP/EX) - so some saving grace in that :roll:

James
No doubt there were shooters not used to being called for close cover, probably from lax local match play but when you have seasoned shooters, Expert class shooters, getting called over and over for cover calls, when you have a score keeper hold his finger and thumb about an inch apart and say "you were this much out of cover" which by the way wasn't a call on me but another shooter in our squad, THAT is carrying the letter of the rule and the spirit of the sport to the ridiculous. It got to the point when a shooter finished a stage someone would ask "How many cover calls did you get ?" I'm surprised some of the SOs didn't set up a laser to "accurately" make the call. Yes its a Tier 4 match and the rules have to be enforced but it was over board.
MegaWatt

NRA Endowment Life
TSRA Life
IHMSA
IDPA

extremist

Post by extremist »

First of all I agree, the rules are ahem, ridiculous in some respects. But, do the rules say "cover applies plus or minus 1 inch"? I also despise the "flinch" rule (which we called on our very own CSO/Club President on one of the stages) - 3 Sec PE. I also think the rule on not moving while reloading (you can only "pivot" a foot") is foolish, but if you move an inch, you are violating the rule and we awarded a couple of those to the earning parties.

So, do you give everyone 1 inch? How about 2 inches"? "Well you gave that guy 1 inch and you gave that guy 2 inches" will be the hue and cry. So you call them as you see them. Out is out.

Let IDPA HQ know that the cover rules were enforced too strictly at the Texas State IDPA match - I suspect the response will be "And?"

IDPA is a game of rules. It's not fair to the competitors to not enforce the rules - and enforce them fairly across the board - to Experts and to Marksman.

Regards,
James

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

11 out of 33 for my class.Considering I royally screwed up two stages I count that as a major win.
Good SO's if somewhat strict in their interpretation of cover (the old farts were saying), but I'm a newb so didn't care.
Well organized and everything went exactly on time. Now thats how you do it. :patriot:

Was it me or did it seem really hot? :cryin I actually got a little sick to my stomach early afternoon for awhile.
OT but thats the first time I had pulled pork sandwich. It was excellent.

I'll be back for the October match. Hopefully the megacity that is Cedar Park will represent better then.

extremist

Post by extremist »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:11 out of 33 for my class.Considering I royally screwed up two stages I count that as a major win.
Good SO's if somewhat strict in their interpretation of cover (the old farts were saying), but I'm a newb so didn't care.
Well organized and everything went exactly on time. Now thats how you do it. :patriot:

Was it me or did it seem really hot? :cryin I actually got a little sick to my stomach early afternoon for awhile.
OT but thats the first time I had pulled pork sandwich. It was excellent.

I'll be back for the October match. Hopefully the megacity that is Cedar Park will represent better then.
Yes Mr. Ken Cobb catered the lunch Saturday and it was great - I also had the pulled pork.

And yes, when the sun came out from behind the clouds, it felt like the temp went up 20 degrees instantly :shock:

James

Return to “Competitive Shooting”