New IDPA Rules

IDPA, IPSC, ICORE & More!

Moderator: carlson1

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 4

Re: New IDPA Rules

Post by Skiprr »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I don't think most of the folks who dropped their SO Certification have quit shooting IDPA. Most are not going to put up with unnecessary recertification frequency and an absurdly short window of time. There's no reason for the recertification schedule IDPA HQ is now mandating and the procedure is horrible. I received an email that gave me something like 10 days to recertify online, after which I'd have to contact the area director to make arrangements to do something else.
This. Exactly.

I am an IDPA member through the next five years, but I let my SO certification lapse...because I have a real-world life. ;-)

IDPA is important, but if it places bizarre demands upon me as an SO--without even providing a "what's changed" redlinded document--and gives me a too-short window in which to take the on-line re-certification test...

No. Ain't happen'.

Since Joyce Wilson became president of IDPA, it has gone nothing but downhill.

Nepotism much?
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Piney
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Piney »

Interesting read--

I let my SO certification drop after 9+ years.

I was a bit fed up with the rules changes but kept up. I finally gave in and let it drop this Fall.

Its a shame to see that experience of many be tossed to the side by IDPA HQ's decisions.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Piney wrote:Interesting read--

I let my SO certification drop after 9+ years.

I was a bit fed up with the rules changes but kept up. I finally gave in and let it drop this Fall.

Its a shame to see that experience of many be tossed to the side by IDPA HQ's decisions.
:iagree:

DanD
Posts in topic: 2

Post by DanD »

I started participating in IDPA a little over 2 years ago after attending a seminar Charles, Mark and others gave at PSC about IDPA. I really enjoy defensive pistol shooting and the IDPA matches at PSC have all been top notch. Thank you Charles and Mark for running great matches. One of the big reasons why I find defensive pistol shooting so enjoyable is the people. In over 2 years of competing, every squad I have ever been on has had great SO's, friendly competitors, and experienced shooters willing to share their knowledge and give tips.

That being said, if IDPA was to loose favor in the places I shoot I would have no problem switching to another defensive pistol sport.

Also, until this thread I had no idea IDPA HQ has been so unreasonable with its SO's. I was considering becoming an IDPA SO but now I think I will just wait.
Given a 50/50 chance, you will pick wrong 80% of the time. NRA Life Member, IDPA

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Skiprr »

george wrote:I think it is overblown. The re-cert only took me about 30 minutes online.

It is also a little self-serving to drop the SO cert. The sole reason I took the class initially, was we only had a minimum number of SO's at PSC. Charles said that we may not be able to continue our IDPA shoots unless more of us became SO's.

PSC paid for the class for us to become SO's, not for our benefit, but for the club. I have maintained my credentials for the same reasons.
George, I understand much of what you're saying.

My biggest gripe--other than frequent and continuous rule changes the past two years--is that HQ doesn't provide SOs with a redlined document. This is standard fare in any regulations-related operation with which I'm familiar...including our Texas legislature.

If you want to give me an unreasonably tight deadline to recertify, then at least give me a redlined document. I already know the rules forward and backward. Don't make me scour the whole document to find what's changed and what hasn't.

In my case, my job has me working 17-hour days for extend periods, then down-time for a week or two. This is not at the pleasure of the IDPA. Though their deadlines make it seem so.
It is also a little self-serving to drop the SO cert.
You do understand, I hope, from the posts in this Topic, that you are addressing SOs with almost a century of collective experience...plus Match Director experience.

I was an SO for a decade before my certification lapsed. I did intend to keep it current, but in the narrow timeframe allowed I was barely able to get five hours sleep each night, much less have IDPA HQ try to control my time.

I hope you continue to be an IDPA SO.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Return to “Competitive Shooting”