Check under those grips!

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
kragluver
Posts in topic: 2

Check under those grips!

Post by kragluver »

This being my first full year with a CHL and hence the first summer carry experience, I thought I'd warn other newcomers to regularly remove the grips from their pistols and check for rust. I wipe my pistols down carefully after each time out, but I noticed that sweat was wicking underneath the grips on both my 1911 and my P64. I had a Hogue Jr rubber grip on the P64 and the sweat wicked under it and generated a lot of surface rust on the front strap. A little Kroil and elbow grease removed it. I have now removed the Hogue grip from the P64! The frame of my 1911 also had some surface rust underneath the grip panel that rides against my body.

I oiled both frames under the grip panels generously and will now be checking them more often!

The Krag rifle is the Swiss watch of MILSURPS.
NRA Member
TSRA Member

Medic218
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Check under those grips!

Post by Medic218 »

Good heads up
"I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
"Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- M218

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

Great tip!

I also make the effort to wear an undershirt, (yeah, I know it's HOT!), that seems to help a lot. Also, I've ordered all my holsters with a sweat shield, that helps as well.
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

InfoTechCHL2007

Post by InfoTechCHL2007 »

Good advice.
Know your weapons

SigOperator02

Post by SigOperator02 »

That is good advice since I just switched from my HK USP 45 to my Sig P220R. Getting use to the removing grips.
"Y'know what I think? Don't really matter what I think. Once that first bullet goes past your head, civility and all that stuff just goes right out the window."

Sig Sauer P220R w/ SigLite Night Sights
Speer/CCI Gold Dots 230gr. JHP

Topic author
kragluver

Post by kragluver »

Both of my IWB holsters have sweat shields but they only cover the slide region and not the grips. Its the grips that always get sweaty. I'd noticed that early on and wipe them down, but never thought about the sweat wicking under the grips.

I have worn a T-shirt on occasion and as you said - it IS HOT! Maybe I should take to doing this more often though.

All that - there is something to be said for those modern Dura-Cote finishes!

The Krag rifle is the Swiss watch of MILSURPS.
NRA Member
TSRA Member

SecedeTX

Post by SecedeTX »

Same happened to me. I don't normally take the grips off, but after 500 rounds in one day, I thought I would give the gun a really good in depth cleaning. I was a little shocked when I took them off. Not bad, but being in Houston, there is going to be moisture if you carry!

Now I am checking weekly.
"Do or Do Not, there is no try" -- Yoda

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

oh, and while you're at it, blow out all the lint... "rlol"
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

Yankee Girl

Post by Yankee Girl »

Rather than a cotton t-shirt, you might consider an UnderArmour (or similar brand) t-shirt against your skin. They're much better at wicking sweat away from your body and therefore (IMHO) are more comfortable. Pricey, but worth it, especially if you're going to be out in the Texas heat for any significant time.
Courage is just Fear that has said its prayers -
-- Maya Angelou

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

Yankee Girl wrote:Rather than a cotton t-shirt, you might consider an UnderArmour (or similar brand) t-shirt against your skin. They're much better at wicking sweat away from your body and therefore (IMHO) are more comfortable. Pricey, but worth it, especially if you're going to be out in the Texas heat for any significant time.
I personally can't stand them in the heat, here or overseas. Maybe it is just me.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Thanks for the heads up ... After reading this I pulled my Hogue Handall grips off my Glock, luckily no rust. :biggrinjester:
(Just kidding, but I better check my Taurus .357 revolver, even though it is Stainless)
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Yankee Girl

Post by Yankee Girl »

Purplehood wrote:
Yankee Girl wrote:Rather than a cotton t-shirt, you might consider an UnderArmour (or similar brand) t-shirt against your skin. They're much better at wicking sweat away from your body and therefore (IMHO) are more comfortable. Pricey, but worth it, especially if you're going to be out in the Texas heat for any significant time.
I personally can't stand them in the heat, here or overseas. Maybe it is just me.
There are two kinds - one for wearing in hot weather (called Heat Gear) and one for retaining heat. But if you don't like clothes fitting close to your body, yeah, it wouldn't be a good option.
Courage is just Fear that has said its prayers -
-- Maya Angelou

MojoTexas

Post by MojoTexas »

I have some of those shirts that I wear when exercising, and by wicking the sweat away from the body it just wicks it right to your pistol.

I'm halfway tempted to break down and start carrying one of my "tupperware" guns in the summer time. :-)
NRA Life member, TSRA member

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
--Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon, 1942

SpringerFan

Post by SpringerFan »

I use cheapo t-shirts with the sleeves cut out underneath my button-down work shirt. Creates a sweat barrier and no sleeves makes them a little cooler in this Texas heat.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
Col. Jeff Cooper

MojoTexas

Post by MojoTexas »

After reading this thread on Friday, on Saturday I took the grips off my Kimber 1911 and my S&W 442. Sure enough, there was a TINY bit of rust on the Kimber under the Hogue grips. I was able to clean it up, and I put a light layer of oil under the grip on both pistols. I will have to start checking more often under there, especially during these hot summer months.

This morning I took my Taurus PT145 instead of my S&W 442 when I went for my morning jog with the dog. ;-)

MojoTexas :txflag:
NRA Life member, TSRA member

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
--Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon, 1942

Return to “New to CHL?”