The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Anyone carry blanks?

Post by Keith B »

Kythas wrote:I don't see the point of blanks, and here's my logic:

1. In the State of Texas, drawing your weapon is the threat of using force;
2. In the State of Texas, the threat of force is only justified if the actual use of force is also justified (see below);
3. Therefore, I'm not going to threaten anyone with the use of force, as I won't be drawing unless the actual use of force is justified, or I reasonably believe the use of force is justified.

If I feel the use of force is justified, my first two shots will be center mass of the threat. In many use of force situations, those first two shots are the only two you will have time to get off. I won't waste them with blanks.

PC §9.04.

Threats as Justifiable Force

The threat of force is justified when the use of force is justified by this chapter. For purposes of this section, a threat to cause death or serious bodily injury by the production of a weapon or otherwise, as long as the actor's purpose is limited to creating an apprehension that he will use deadly force if necessary, does not constitute the use of deadly force.
Just remember, as the PC states, there is force, and then there is deadly force. Pulling your weapon is force, and thereat of deadly force. Pulling the trigger on your weapon is use of deadly force.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

donh
Posts in topic: 2

Post by donh »

Rev: I think you probably shouldn't carry anything but a crucifix...

Topic author
TheReverend
Posts in topic: 8

Post by TheReverend »

donh wrote:Rev: I think you probably shouldn't carry anything but a crucifix...
let me guess, we didn't read the entire thread, did we?
When you got to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.

dicion
Posts in topic: 3

Post by dicion »

This thread is long dead. please let it remain so.

7075-T7

Post by 7075-T7 »

dicion wrote:Image

This thread is long dead. please let it remain so.

"rlol" "rlol" "rlol"

hurst_guy

Post by hurst_guy »

:shock: Were I to draw my gun the situation would call for a live round . :txflag:

cdc101

Post by cdc101 »

TheReverend wrote:I have some military background too and I've also been trained to do a warning shot before aiming for center mass. This is where this all idea came from, this way i can get the warning shot out w/o loosing aim (in the military you're supposed to shoot the warning shot up.)
That's really strange IMHO...I was never trained to shoot any warning shots while in the military.
Last edited by cdc101 on Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
US Army Cavalry Scout: 1992 - 1997

cdc101

Post by cdc101 »

Mhoward wrote:I took my future brother in law hunting last weekend. He's never shot before and he was really interested in my AR-15 so I tought him some basic firearm safety and loaded the clip with blanks and didn't tell him. He is still talking about how 10 hogs got away from him and he could see the bullets hitting trees behind them :lol: I havn't had the heart to tell him yet.

I don't think I would ever put a blank in my cc. If I ever have to draw it I don't plan on just scaring someone, plus if they came after me I wouldn't want to keep pulling the trigger until a live round exited the pipe. :fire :anamatedbanana :fire :shock:
Your AR fired blanks without a blank adapter plugged down the end of the barrel?
Chris
US Army Cavalry Scout: 1992 - 1997

donh

Post by donh »

Hey Reverend - just finished reading the entire thread -- my apologies...

SkydiverRick

Post by SkydiverRick »

Instead of a warning shot, why not just shoot the knife out of his hand. It works good on TV.

gtrman66

Post by gtrman66 »

When on bivouac (a long, long time ago) I was instructed by a butter bar to lay down a line of fire with my M-60. I tried to tell him I didn't have a blank adapter. He didn't care... it was pretty funny looking, pulling the big handle for a single pop and repeating for several rounds. What a moron. "rlol"

...but on topic, I want the first round to be there when I need it. Some one charging you just got 3' closer while you try to get the second "real" shot off.
1/9/10 CHL Class
2/2/10 Packet Sent
2/4/10 Delivery Confirmation
2/18/10 Pin Received "Processing Application"
3/4/10 Application Completed - license issued or certificate active
3/13/10 Plastic in Hand!!!

icarry247

Post by icarry247 »

We could actually write a complete book about the pros and cons this. Yes, a bad guy may actually flee....some may not flee but use a weapon before or as they flee. If you pull your gun first, justifiably of course, a bad guy may flee if allowed to. If the bad guy pulled theirs first......now I have to decide if I want escalate the situation by pulling mine?????

The following reasons are how I see it for myself and my family.

For me, many bad guys will answer your fire as though it was a real gun fight and may act accordingly. The situation just escalated BIG TIME! Many shootings are only a few rounds in a number of seconds. This gives you one less chance to stop a threat sooner than later.

I hope you are speaking about a revolver. Some blanks may not be strong enough to effectively cycle a semi-auto. Test this may time first. I will never know what type of bad guy I may meet today or tomorrow.

Very interesting topic......Good luck!

MojoTexas

Post by MojoTexas »

:deadhorse:

Another item...not to beat a dead horse, but blanks can be deadly at short range.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon-Erik_Hexum

MojoTexas :txflag:
NRA Life member, TSRA member

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
--Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon, 1942

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

I would never ask the question of, "is anyone shooting blanks"...That could be misconstrued... ;-)
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Return to “New to CHL?”