Drinking while "Carrying"

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

kg5ie
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Drinking while "Carrying"

Post by kg5ie »

Keith B wrote:What I tell people is that while it is legal to consume alcohol while carrying, it is illegal to become intoxicated. SO, you are better to not drink while carrying as the determination is left up to the individual officer's discretion, and if you have not been drinking there is less question about your being possibly intoxicated. The exact same advice goes for getting behind the wheel of a motor vehicle.
:iagree:
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

jmra
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jmra »

kg5ie wrote:
Keith B wrote:What I tell people is that while it is legal to consume alcohol while carrying, it is illegal to become intoxicated. SO, you are better to not drink while carrying as the determination is left up to the individual officer's discretion, and if you have not been drinking there is less question about your being possibly intoxicated. The exact same advice goes for getting behind the wheel of a motor vehicle.
:iagree: :iagree:
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 10

Post by nightmare69 »

My chief arrested a soon to be former CHL holder. Got a call a man was drunk and causing a disturbance, we arrive to find he has been telling people he is armed and ready to use it. He was in fact armed and had a CHL. We charged him with TPC 46.035 (d) which is a class A misdemeanor. I told him that he is making all other CHL holders including myself look bad. Just don't carry of you are going to drink.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Misfit Child

Post by Misfit Child »

nightmare69 wrote:My chief arrested a soon to be former CHL holder. Got a call a man was drunk and causing a disturbance, we arrive to find he has been telling people he is armed and ready to use it. He was in fact armed and had a CHL. We charged him with TPC 46.035 (d) which is a class A misdemeanor. I told him that he is making all other CHL holders including myself look bad. Just don't carry of you are going to drink.
I think Texas is long overdue for a similar standard for civilian LEO. One of the few things worse than a drunk with a gun is a drunk with a gun and a badge.

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

If and LEO did the same as the gentalman sitting in our county jail he would lose his peace officer lisence along with his career in law enforcement. The news would be all over it calling for the officers head. Are you under the impression that LEOs are somehow exempt from carrying while intoxicated?
5/20-Plastic in hand.

nightmare
Deactivated until real name is provided
Posts in topic: 5

Post by nightmare »

nightmare69 wrote:If and LEO did the same as the gentalman sitting in our county jail he would lose his peace officer lisence along with his career in law enforcement. The news would be all over it calling for the officers head. Are you under the impression that LEOs are somehow exempt from carrying while intoxicated?
Once the guy sitting in your county jail loses his license and his job, you guys will cut him loose with no criminal charges?
Equo ne credite, Teucri. Quidquid id est, timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

nightmare wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:If and LEO did the same as the gentalman sitting in our county jail he would lose his peace officer lisence along with his career in law enforcement. The news would be all over it calling for the officers head. Are you under the impression that LEOs are somehow exempt from carrying while intoxicated?
Once the guy sitting in your county jail loses his license and his job, you guys will cut him loose with no criminal charges?
That is not up to me. I'm just a peon deputy, I do not have the authority to drop charges plus it was not my arrest.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

RedRaiderCHL
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RedRaiderCHL »

Misfit Child wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:My chief arrested a soon to be former CHL holder. Got a call a man was drunk and causing a disturbance, we arrive to find he has been telling people he is armed and ready to use it. He was in fact armed and had a CHL. We charged him with TPC 46.035 (d) which is a class A misdemeanor. I told him that he is making all other CHL holders including myself look bad. Just don't carry of you are going to drink.
I think Texas is long overdue for a similar standard for civilian LEO. One of the few things worse than a drunk with a gun is a drunk with a gun and a badge.

Seriously...When is the last time you have seen a police officer in uniform, or carrying his gun or badge and drinking in a bar. My job requires me to be in 6 -10 bars a day and i see police officers just released from duty, in uniform drinking water and playing darts or pool or talking but never drinking....never... makes me wonder what city you are in because if they were caught doing that here they would as said before, have a lot to lose.
Know guns, know peace and safety. No guns, no peace nor safety.

HankB

Post by HankB »

I don't defend drunken carry any more than I would defend drunken driving.

But AFAIK, there is no "implied consent" law to submit to a BAC or other sobriety test unless you ARE driving. If you're NOT driving, this would make proof of "intoxicated carry" more difficult for LEOs contemplating your arrest unless you're downright drunk - and behaving that way.
Original CHL: 2000: 56 day turnaround
1st renewal, 2004: 34 days
2nd renewal, 2008: 81 days
3rd renewal, 2013: 12 days

jmra
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jmra »

HankB wrote:I don't defend drunken carry any more than I would defend drunken driving.

But AFAIK, there is no "implied consent" law to submit to a BAC or other sobriety test unless you ARE driving. If you're NOT driving, this would make proof of "intoxicated carry" more difficult for LEOs contemplating your arrest unless you're downright drunk - and behaving that way.
You are assuming you are innocent until proven guilty...that boat sailed a long time ago.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

There is no criminal law preventing them from carrying while intoxicated. It may however result in discipline by their department.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Keith B
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Keith B »

HankB wrote:I don't defend drunken carry any more than I would defend drunken driving.

While Texas law says you don't have to submit to a breathalyzer, the state supreme court has upheld warrants for a mandatory blood draw and you can be detained until they can get a warrant issued and a blood draw done.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

gringo pistolero

Post by gringo pistolero »

ScottDLS wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:Are you under the impression that LEOs are somehow exempt from carrying while intoxicated?
There is no criminal law preventing them from carrying while intoxicated.

I sincerely apologize to anybody I offended by suggesting the Second Amendment also applies to The People who don't work for the government.

Return to “New to CHL?”