Anyone carry blanks?

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
TheReverend
Posts in topic: 8

Anyone carry blanks?

Post by TheReverend »

I don't really mean carry a full mag of blanks (though I knew it'll draw your attention :cool: )

I was thinking and it sounds reasonable for me to carry my gun with a mag full of HP bullets but put a blank in the chambes.
My logic would be that if I'm in a life threating situation I can allways shoot 2 rounds immediatly and if the situation is such that a "warning shot" can intimidate the BG enough / scare them away I won't have to think twice about discharging my gun and worry about where that bullet is going to land.

Your thoughts?
When you got to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.

Kevinf2349
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Anyone carry blanks?

Post by Kevinf2349 »

Not me.

If I have thought it through enough to pull the bang switch I want it to count first time. JMHO. :tiphat:
Glock - When a FTF just isn't an option!

04/24/09 - CHL Class
08/17/09 - Plastic in hand!

NRA & TSRA Member

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

"Society doesn't have a gun problem; Society has a society problem"

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Not me either. "Warning shots" are a horrible idea. Don't pull the gun until you have no other choice. Don't pull the trigger unless you really need to shoot the other guy. A warning shot simply leaves you with one less round, which you may later regret. And if you're carrying a blank in the chamber, then you are down a round from the get go.

And then there is the possibility that you don't have the luxury of a warning shot, and now you've got to clear a blank from the chamber, either by firing it or by racking the slide, before you can bring it into play in your own defense.

Bad idea all around.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

Logic - Blanks won't cycle a semi.

It's also not a matter of how fast you can pull the trigger to "clear" the blank (assuming it did cycle) it is a matter of how fast can you think to decide between "warning" and firing a real bullet.

If you are justified in pulling the gun, pull it. If you are justified pulling the trigger, pull it. Don't play games.

Not a good idea.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

TheReverend wrote:I don't really mean carry a full mag of blanks (though I knew it'll draw your attention :cool: )

I was thinking and it sounds reasonable for me to carry my gun with a mag full of HP bullets but put a blank in the chambers.
My logic would be that if I'm in a life threating situation I can always shoot 2 rounds immediatly and if the situation is such that a "warning shot" can intimidate the BG enough to scare them away I won't have to think twice about discharging my gun and worry about where that bullet is going to land.

Your thoughts?
This is one of the strangest questions I have ever read on this forum. I don't want to insult TheReverend, but IMO it is unreasonable, illogical and not prudent to carry and shoot blanks from your concealed carry firearm. If you have to pull your gun to defend yourself, you are already in deep yogurt.

If you are in a situation where to need to defend yourself with deadly force and you are thinking that you should first shoot two blanks why get your CHL when you could just carry a cap gun to scare off the BGs?

IMO you should seriously re-evaluate your decision to carry a concealed handgun.
Last edited by WildBill on Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:06 am, edited 6 times in total.
NRA Endowment Member

LostInAustin

Post by LostInAustin »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Not me either. "Warning shots" are a horrible idea. Don't pull the gun until you have no other choice. Don't pull the trigger unless you really need to shoot the other guy. A warning shot simply leaves you with one less round, which you may later regret. And if you're carrying a blank in the chamber, then you are down a round from the get go.

And then there is the possibility that you don't have the luxury of a warning shot, and now you've got to clear a blank from the chamber, either by firing it or by racking the slide, before you can bring it into play in your own defense.

Bad idea all around.
:iagree:
Colt Combat Commander
Colt Govt Model Series 70
Beretta 92FS

Topic author
TheReverend

Post by TheReverend »

WildBill wrote:
TheReverend wrote:I don't really mean carry a full mag of blanks (though I knew it'll draw your attention :cool: )

I was thinking and it sounds reasonable for me to carry my gun with a mag full of HP bullets but put a blank in the chambers.
My logic would be that if I'm in a life threatening situation I can always shoot 2 rounds immediately and if the situation is such that a "warning shot" can intimidate the BG enough to scare them away I won't have to think twice about discharging my gun and worry about where that bullet is going to land.

Your thoughts?
This is one of the strangest questions I have ever read on this forum. It is unreasonable, illogical and stupid to carry and shoot blanks from your concealed carry firearm. If you have to pull your gun to defend yourself, you are already in deep yogurt.

If you are in a situation where to need to defend yourself with deadly force and you are thinking that you should first shoot two blanks why get your CHL when you could just carry a cap gun to scare off the BGs?

IMO you should seriously re-evaluate your decision to carry a concealed handgun.
well, I'll carry cause I KNOW I'll do whatever it takes to protect my family. this idea came from one of the scenarios the CHL instructor brought up in class.
You walk towards the Wally in the parking lot and someone comes at you from 20-30 feet with a knife in his hand. You pull your gun out. Do you shoot immediately or would you tell him he is better off turning around and saving his sorry behind before you put one in it.
If your answer is Yes then it's exactly the same as shooting a "warning shot". it's just one more step between pulling your gun and shooting down the BG .
Sometime you have enough time to try other options before you shoot someone down and then you have to deal with the consequences.

Now troglodyte's comment about blanks not cycling the semi, that's enough for me to drop this idea. I agree that in times of need, there is no time to pull the slide.

fastscooby01

Post by fastscooby01 »

Maybe I am weird but you can plan worst case scenarios all you want. But… When it comes down to the moment and stress kicks in. Do you really think that when you pull the trigger you are going to remember to pull the slide again because the blank didn’t cycle? I have seen people in high stress situations not even be able to hardly talk, much less think and act on their toes. My point of view is to be as ready as possible with the least amount of probable error. So that being said, why introduce a whole host of potential problems with your weapon?
09/26 - Class
09/28 - Sent to DPS
09/29 - Rcvd by DPS
10/19 - Rec'd PIN & Application Processing
11/20 - Application Complete
11/27 - PLASTIC!!!

Dudley

Post by Dudley »

Warning shots in the chest. If that doesn't work it's time for a head shot.
If you think health care is expensive now, wait until it's free.

Topic author
TheReverend

Post by TheReverend »

Dudley wrote:Warning shots in the chest. If that doesn't work it's time for a head shot.
LOL - I hear that :coolgleamA:

Zee

Post by Zee »

You might as well just wave your gun around and yell. It will have the same effect at that moment and the same outcome when you explain yourself to the court.

I can see wanting to have a step between holstered and firing but those two choices are pretty defined. If nothing else you would provide some data on an area that's not been researched well.
80% Liberal, 90% Democrat, 100% Responsible gun owner.

Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative. John Stuart Mill (1806-1873)

Jesus was a Jewish Liberal

dicion
Posts in topic: 3

Post by dicion »

TheReverend wrote: You walk towards the Wally in the parking lot and someone comes at you from 20-30 feet with a knife in his hand. You pull your gun out. Do you shoot immediately or would you tell him he is better off turning around and saving his sorry behind before you put one in it.
If your answer is Yes then it's exactly the same as shooting a "warning shot". it's just one more step between pulling your gun and shooting down the BG .
Shoot immediately. He is already inside the 21 foot range that he can beat your draw with the knife.
http://www.trailerparkshow.com/selfdefense3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You have already let him get too close. The time it takes to fire an additional shot could mean you get stabbed first.

Also, personally, I too do not believe in 'warning shots'. Warn them what, that they're already breaking the law? Warning shots have only cause more problems than solutions as far as I've seen. Do it right, as said above, Warning shots go in the chest :mrgreen:

And if I can be so brazen as to quote myself from another thread about warning shots & warning in general: http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... 31#p341231" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dicion wrote: You can yell 'DROP THE GUN' at him if you really want to, once he's on the floor bleeding.
Last edited by dicion on Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:35 am, edited 5 times in total.

joe817
Posts in topic: 2

Post by joe817 »

The time it takes to fire an additional shot could mean you get stabbed first.
:iagree: Someone that close can move so quickly that you may not even have time to get the second shot off.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

AEA

Post by AEA »

I think I can safely say that anyone who carries blanks are taking a pretty good chance of pushing up daisies!

May as well carry a replica gun that shoots caps/blanks (you wouldn't even need a CHL for that). And, make sure your Life Insurance Policy is up to date.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

chabouk
Banned

Post by chabouk »

Dudley wrote:Warning shots in the chest. If that doesn't work it's time for a head shot.
"Warning: if you don't stop, I'll shoot you again."

Return to “New to CHL?”