Concealment / Printing

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Teamless
Posts in topic: 2

Concealment / Printing

Post by Teamless »

I know that you have to conceal your handgun, but what about a spare magazine? An empty Holster (yes I know, why carry an empty holster?)
Having recently taken the course, and not having my CHL yet, I am doing as my instructor suggested (and I agree wholeheartedly) to keep learning, and this site is incredible for learning.
I have read literally hundreds of threads on this forum, and just haven't seen that question and doing a search, I did not find the answer.

Thanks in advance for your help.
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

MojoTexas

Re: Concealment / Printing

Post by MojoTexas »

There's nothing in the laws that prohibit you from revealing an empty holster. You might get some looks, but it's not illegal.

A spare magazine...that is also not illegal as far as I know, but might draw even more attention. It certainly indicates that you are possibly armed, and could attract unwelcome attention. So while it's not illegal, it's not advisable.

That being said, I keep some speed-loaders for my .357 Magnum in plain sight in my truck, but they're stored with the bullets pointing inward in a cubby on the console, and unless you're a shooting enthusiast and know what speedloaders are, they're not immediately recognizable to the average person. The weapon itself is concealed and out-of-sight. All you can see is the black plastic of the speedloader with the grey metal HKS knob. No cartridges are visible, and since I normally don't have strangers in my vehicle, I don't worry about it. My side windows are tinted dark enough that it would be impossible for a bad guy to spot them through the window.

However, on your body, it's best to conceal everything, in my opinion.

That being said, I'm not a lawyer, and your mileage may vary.
NRA Life member, TSRA member

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
--Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon, 1942

camlott
Posts in topic: 1

Post by camlott »

As far as I know, there is no law that says you can't wear those items openly. However, it is likely to cause people to give you a closer inspection (look for printing). In fact in my CHL class, the instructor said we could openly strap on as many clips, magazines, or even bandoliers as we cared to, and legally that wouldn't be a problem so long as the gun is concealed.
01/09/2010 - CHL class taken
01/11/2010 - Packet Mailed to DPS
01/15/2010 - Check Cashed
01/25/2010 - Received Pin via Email Request
01/25/2010 - Processing Application
02/03/2010 - Application Complete
02/06/2010 - Plastic in Hand

DONT TREAD ON ME

Post by DONT TREAD ON ME »

camlott wrote:However, it is likely to cause people to give you a closer inspection (look for printing).
Printing itself is not illegal.

I carry a full size 1911 at 3:30 and 2 x spare mags at 8:30. The majority of the time I just wear a t-shirt over them and do not worry about it at all (97% of the time it does not print at all). I just bought a new vest that I have been wearing. I do not worry about the vest flying open because it is not illegal to carry magazines on your person and you must "intentionally" show your gun for it to be against the law in accordance with TPC 46.035.

With all that being said it is not illegal to openly carry spare mags or an empty holster. As stated above it is not advisable as it will bring some attetntion your way you probably do not want.

Train as you fight. If you do not have your CHL and you want to get used to the holster and mags by all means thats a great idea but also practice your concealment of said items. This way when you get your CHL and you are able to carry you do not have to worry about concealment.

Topic author
Teamless

Post by Teamless »

Thanks to all the replies and any more that follow.
I do not intend to open carry an empty holster, or walk around with a magazine in my hand (or just in the open) and yes, I also think it would cause others to look twice at a person.
Just good information to have, as it was not stated in the instruction.
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

DONT TREAD ON ME

Post by DONT TREAD ON ME »

Here is a link to the Penal Code.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Open the Statutes and scroll down to Penal Code. Weapons is Chapter 46.

icarry247

Post by icarry247 »

I have always believed in "DO NOT ADVERTISE". That you may be armed, of course. It is not illegal, but if someone calls 911 out of a concern, it can get sticky as to why you are doing it that way. If the officer sees no problem, it will be a good day. If the officer does not like it, who knows!

cougartex

Post by cougartex »

icarry247 wrote:I have always believed in "DO NOT ADVERTISE". That you may be armed, of course. It is not illegal, but if someone calls 911 out of a concern, it can get sticky as to why you are doing it that way. If the officer sees no problem, it will be a good day. If the officer does not like it, who knows!
:iagree:
Cougars are shy, reclusive, and downright mysterious... :txflag:

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=290518" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Byron Dickens

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

Someone said "Train as you fight"

That said, I too am waiting on my license. I'm retired so I do a lot of odd jobs around my property. I've been carrying concealed on my property and practicing different techniques, finding what works for me and my body type and how I dress. Over the past two weeks no one new I was carrying, until today when I accidently put on a tight T-shirt.

Good thing: I'm used to carrying a XD 4" .45.
Bad thing: I need to buy some bigger t-shirts.

A little off topic but thought I would add my 2 cents
2/15/10 CHL Class
2/16/10 Packet Sent
2/17/10 Delivery Confirmation
2/25/10 Pin Received "Processing Application"
3/17/10 License issued or Certificate Active
3/20/10 Plastic in Hand

Semper Fi!

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

UncleBob wrote:Someone said "Train as you fight"

That said, I too am waiting on my license. I'm retired so I do a lot of odd jobs around my property. I've been carrying concealed on my property and practicing different techniques, finding what works for me and my body type and how I dress. Over the past two weeks no one new I was carrying, until today when I accidently put on a tight T-shirt.

Tall
Big and Tall section of men's clothing stores are fantastic
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

MojoTexas

Post by MojoTexas »

RPB wrote:

Tall
But what if you're already big and tall? I'm 6'6" and 275 lbs, and I need big and tall on a daily basis...
(Actually what I do is buy from JC Penney...they have an "Extra Tall" category that works perfectly...)
NRA Life member, TSRA member

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
--Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon, 1942

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

MojoTexas wrote:
RPB wrote:

Tall
But what if you're already big and tall? I'm 6'6" and 275 lbs, and I need big and tall on a daily basis...
(Actually what I do is buy from JC Penney...they have an "Extra Tall" category that works perfectly...)
:iagree: I do too, and prices aren't bad there either.... I picked up some colored, screen printed T-shirts for about $9.00 on clearance in Extra Tall there.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

Cool - Thanks

Sorry, didn't check the "notify me" button. :banghead:
2/15/10 CHL Class
2/16/10 Packet Sent
2/17/10 Delivery Confirmation
2/25/10 Pin Received "Processing Application"