Hand Gun in Car on College Campus

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Scott in Houston
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Hand Gun in Car on College Campus

Post by Scott in Houston »

Sounds like you can be expelled or what have you. That's the way I read it.
Obviously they cannot prosecute however.

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RPB »

surferdaddy wrote:Here is what my handbook has to say. It only mentions the premises and nothing about the parking lot. What do you all think?

Firearms and Weapons
The possession of firearms, explosives, fireworks or weapons of any kind on the College premises or at College-sponsored events is unlawful in accordance with Texas law. Even those with permits are not Tarrant County College District Student Handbook allowed to carry concealed handguns on a college's premises. Law enforcement officers, including College police, are permitted to have firearms while in the performance of their duties as defined by College policy and the Texas Penal Code. Police officers may not carry weapons while attending classroom instruction.
:banghead:
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

surferdaddy wrote:Here is what my handbook has to say. It only mentions the premises and nothing about the parking lot. What do you all think?

Firearms and Weapons
The possession of firearms, explosives, fireworks or weapons of any kind on the College premises or at College-sponsored events is unlawful in accordance with Texas law. Even those with permits are not Tarrant County College District Student Handbook allowed to carry concealed handguns on a college's premises. Law enforcement officers, including College police, are permitted to have firearms while in the performance of their duties as defined by College policy and the Texas Penal Code. Police officers may not carry weapons while attending classroom instruction.
Remember, premises is defined by Texas statues as 'building or portion of a building', so IMO you should be OK if locked in the car on school property.

IANAL though. ;-)
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

RPB wrote:

Firearms and Weapons
:banghead:
From what I've heard, Police are often required to carry while they're off-duty. Was does state or federal law have to say on the matter? I know police can carry past 30.06 and 51% signs, and inside school buildings when they're on-duty, but I'm not sure about off-duty restrictions.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

smoothoperator

Post by smoothoperator »

It's legal but they can be expelled like any other student who violates policy. If they're college employees, they can also be fired like any other employee who violates policy. It sounds fair to me.

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

smoothoperator wrote:It's legal but they can be expelled like any other student who violates policy. If they're college employees, they can also be fired like any other employee who violates policy. It sounds fair to me.
Not to me, it doesn't... (Public) Colleges are supposed to be dedicating to furthering education. Why should they deny that to those who are putting themselves in harm's way on our account?

("Why should the government (police) get to do things that we can't", you ask? They shouldn't... I'd use this as an argument for campus carry, but that's a different thread.)
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

smoothoperator

Post by smoothoperator »

It would be better to repeal the law that aids and abets criminals. However, since the Republican dominated legislature refused to do that last year, it's fair for the college to treat all students equally. No double standards.

Like I said, same policy rules for everyone. viewtopic.php?f=83&t=52598&p=641715#p641715" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

surferdaddy
Posts in topic: 4

Post by surferdaddy »

Keith B wrote:

Firearms and Weapons
Remember, premises is defined by Texas statues as 'building or portion of a building', so IMO you should be OK if locked in the car on school property.

IANAL though. ;-)
That's what I think as well.
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

Return to “New to CHL?”