First Wife Protest

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

jmra
Posts in topic: 11

Re: First Wife Protest

Post by jmra »

SewTexas wrote:
5murphy7 wrote:I thought you couldn't carry in a place of worship? Church?
:banghead:
:iagree:
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by carlson1 »

jmra wrote:
SewTexas wrote:
5murphy7 is new to the Forum. Do not be so hard on him because you have no ideal what instructor he had. Some of the instructors are not even aware of what must be posted or not posted.

If the church is not 30.06 posted then you can carry away. Welcome to the Forum.

jmra

Post by jmra »

carlson1 wrote:
jmra wrote:
SewTexas wrote:
5murphy7 is new to the Forum. Do not be so hard on him because you have no ideal what instructor he had. Some of the instructors are not even aware of what must be posted or not posted.

If the church is not 30.06 posted then you can carry away. Welcome to the Forum.
Not upset with 5murphy7 (even told him I was just kidding and then showed him where to find the info). I'm banging my head against the wall because this happens far too often. I'd love to know where the breakdown is occurring.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

jmra wrote: I'm banging my head against the wall because this happens far too often. I'd love to know where the breakdown is occurring.
I want to say it is the instructors. The very first instructor I had (a friend) was a retired Deputy Sheriff back in the 90's. All he did was tell war stories.

I can't jump to conclusions and say all instructors because Crossfire is probably the best I have ever heard. Also I teach people on weekly basis (not CHL) and sometimes it goes in one ear and out of the other. It is almost like they have a cartoon mentality.

It would be nice to know how these new guys get so confused. I think that is what makes this Forum so great. It is constantly a learning place.

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 3

Post by SewTexas »

but if it's the instructors, then why? they should know better by now! otherwise they aren't keeping up with the law.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

jmra

Post by jmra »

SewTexas wrote:but if it's the instructors, then why? they should know better by now! otherwise they aren't keeping up with the law.
The FAQ section of the DPS website still says it is illegal to carry in a place of worship. You would think they know better.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

GeekwithaGun
Posts in topic: 1

Post by GeekwithaGun »

jmra wrote:
SewTexas wrote:but if it's the instructors, then why? they should know better by now! otherwise they aren't keeping up with the law.
The FAQ section of the DPS website still says it is illegal to carry in a place of worship. You would think they know better.
NRA Life Member

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 3

Post by SewTexas »

jmra wrote:
what?????

Mr Cotton. can something be done to get this fixed?
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

jmra

Post by jmra »

SewTexas wrote:
jmra wrote:
what?????

Checked again to make sure it hadn't been corrected:
http://www.dps.texas.gov/RSD/CHL/faqs/index.htm
"34. I am a Texas Concealed Handgun License (CHL) holder. Are there any places where I cannot carry my concealed handgun?
Yes. §46.035, Texas Penal Code prohibits carrying of handguns and other weapons in certain places. These include but are not limited to:

On the premises of a business that derives 51% or more of its income from the sale or service of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption
On the premises where a high school, collegiate, or professional sporting or interscholastic event is taking place
On the premises of a correctional facility
On the premises of a hospital or nursing home (unless licensee has written authorization)
In an amusement park
On the premises of a church, synagogue, or other place of worship
At any meeting of a governmental entity"
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

5murphy7

Post by 5murphy7 »

jmra wrote:
SewTexas wrote:
jmra wrote:
what?????

Checked again to make sure it hadn't been corrected:
http://www.dps.texas.gov/RSD/CHL/faqs/index.htm
"34. I am a Texas Concealed Handgun License (CHL) holder. Are there any places where I cannot carry my concealed handgun?
Yes. §46.035, Texas Penal Code prohibits carrying of handguns and other weapons in certain places. These include but are not limited to:

On the premises of a business that derives 51% or more of its income from the sale or service of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption
On the premises where a high school, collegiate, or professional sporting or interscholastic event is taking place
On the premises of a hospital or nursing home (unless licensee has written authorization)
In an amusement park
Thanks for all your funny posts.

My question wasn't because I learned it from my instructor. I'd remembered seeing it on the DPS site. As stated above.

:thewave

Jkwhite12

Post by Jkwhite12 »

Blindref757 wrote:I've had my plastic for a couple of months now and the wife has not really cared too much either way. She supported me getting it, she doesn't think that money spent on guns and ammo are really in the budget, but she isn't anti-gun. She's made a few little jabs at me when I've put on my holster to go to eat or to wally world--but I thought it was just in fun.

Today we hit a wall when I started to head out to church with my gun in my holster. She really threw a fit...she didn't see any need to be armed in the house of the Lord. I didn't have the time or energy to argue...so I left it on the dresser.

Any tips on trying to get her to understand? I get it...I know we could have car trouble on the way, we could be in an accident with an enraged driver, and while highly unlikely, an active shooter could bust through the doors of the sanctuary. She is viewing my carrying as a "little man syndrome" (I'm 6-3/290) instead of preparedness for disaster.

Ok so this is the best advice I have and it's coming from me, a woman that's been there. It took me a long time to be ok with my husband carring everywhere. I hated that he wouldn't go shopping with me at stores that are posed, Sprouts was our biggest challenge, we had to rebuild his whole wardrobe, and I had to start walking on his left side. I thought it was ridiculous that we were going to theses extremes all so that he can carry a gun that he will probably never even use.

His best argument, one that he uses often to prove a point, is "who would of thought or wished they had a gun in an elementary school?" A place that we send a babies all day and assume they will be safe. Who would think something tragic could happen there? The truth is the bad guys aren't going to care if it's a church, or a school, or a Sprouts. We should be able to protect ourselves and families wherever we are.

My point is don't give up. Don't turn it into an argument. Just educate her on why you feel it's important.

There is hope! Here I am CHL on the way and reading gun forums. ;-)

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

jmra wrote: http://www.dps.texas.gov/RSD/CHL/faqs/index.htm

In an amusement park
If Charles or anyone gets around to it, those last four are incorrect if the proper notice isn't given. It is amazing that the DPS' own website would not have corrected that by now.

To the OP, while I'm very very late in my congratulations, the evolution of your wife's acceptance and embracement of you carrying all the way to getting her own gun and CHL is remarkable. Congratulations on your patience.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

jmra

Post by jmra »

C-dub wrote:
jmra wrote: http://www.dps.texas.gov/RSD/CHL/faqs/index.htm

In an amusement park
If Charles or anyone gets around to it, those last four are incorrect if the proper notice isn't given. It is amazing that the DPS' own website would not have corrected that by now.

To the OP, while I'm very very late in my congratulations, the evolution of your wife's acceptance and embracement of you carrying all the way to getting her own gun and CHL is remarkable. Congratulations on your patience.
That's the reason I posted from the FAQ section - to show that DPS still hasn't fixed their error.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Return to “New to CHL?”