Wife wants to get CHL

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

jwgunsandammo
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Wife wants to get CHL

Post by jwgunsandammo »

I do think she should get one also. My wife is the same way!!! Losing her cell phone is the biggest issue. I would suggest a handbag with a compartment in it for the handgun this way it never leaves the purse unless she has to use it!!!

koolaid
Posts in topic: 2

Post by koolaid »

kjolly wrote: she feels safer with you having a CHL and now as times are getting more dangerous she wants that feeling of security when you are not around.
In the interests of accuracy, violent crime in Texas has been steadily declining since the early 90's. It is actually as low as it has been since 1978.

So times aren't really getting more dangerous. In fact, the opposite is true, and has been true for quite a while.

Just sayin'.
01/02/2010 - Plastic

johnson0317
Posts in topic: 1

Post by johnson0317 »

koolaid wrote:
kjolly wrote: she feels safer with you having a CHL and now as times are getting more dangerous she wants that feeling of security when you are not around.
In the interests of accuracy, violent crime in Texas has been steadily declining since the early 90's. It is actually as low as it has been since 1978.

So times aren't really getting more dangerous. In fact, the opposite is true, and has been true for quite a while.

Just sayin'.
Hmmm, wonder when CHL was passed? Did the decline start somewhere around that time?
CHL Received 5/16/11
Proud Member NRA
Proud Member Texas Concealed Handgun Association
Proud Member Second Amendment Foundation
Proud Member of The Truth Squad founded by Tom Gresham. "A lie left unchallenged becomes the truth"

Wfahey

Post by Wfahey »

koolaid wrote:

Just sayin'.
Your numbers for Texas as a whole may be accurate but for San Antonio there was a dip in the crime stats in the late 90's early 2000's but since then the numbers have risen quite a bit. Overall violent crimes have gone from around 86,000/yr to over 117,000/yr. Now if we throw in per capita ratios we could probably show a statistical decline as this city has exploded in size but I just took the raw numbers from SAPD. The OP lives in Conroe and I am not sure if the Houston crime has ventured that far north yet. My guess is it has.
Last edited by Wfahey on Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

koolaid

Post by koolaid »

Wfahey wrote: Your numbers for Texas as a whole may be accurate but for San Antonio there was a dip in the crime stats in the late 90's early 2000's but since then the numbers have risen quite a bit. Overall violent crimes have gone from around $86,000/yr to over $117,000/yr. Now if we throw in per capita ratios we could probably show a statistical decline as this city has exploded in size but I just took the raw numbers from SAPD. The OP lives in Conroe and I am not sure if the Houston crime has ventured that far north yet. My guess is it has.
Per capita is really the only way to measure. Houston's violent crime rate is also at some of the lowest levels in the last decade, though.

I'm not saying bad things don't happen, but overall you are safer today than you would have been ten years ago, so saying things are getting worse or more dangerous is disingenuous and not based on actual facts.

Thefts, however, are through the roof.
01/02/2010 - Plastic

kjolly

Post by kjolly »

I apologize as you are correct. In terms of numbers we are safer today. I may be paying more attention to the media blowing things up than I should. Comes from being parnoid. Sorry.
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Certified Trainer, IDPA
NRA Range Safety Officer

http://www.tacticalpistol.us

Return to “New to CHL?”