ADVICE: 3 Things a New CHL Owner Should Know?

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

v-rog
Posts in topic: 1

Re: ADVICE: 3 Things a New CHL Owner Should Know?

Post by v-rog »

1. Practice
2. Practice
3. Practice

(Not just static shooting...something where you are put under pressure to shoot, reload, take cover, run, and shoot (like IDPA)
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Remember 31 Connollystraße & Benghazi
Faith Under Fire ISBN# 9780307408815

Stephenrossr6

Post by Stephenrossr6 »

One thats always stuck with me besides the other great ones listed is also know what's beyond your target and know the capabilitys of your ammo.

polisci

Post by polisci »

As a former Ohio Police Officer, I was taught a few things long ago:

1) If you reach for your gun, you may have to point it at someone.
2) If you point it at someone, you may have to squeeze the trigger.
3) If you squeeze the trigger, make sure they do NOT live to sue you!

I chose to list these 3 concerns, simply because I assume you already know the laws and your weapon. What many people aren't prepared for is the act of actually having to use a firearm on another human being. I once came within 1 second of shooting another person ( I was literally starting the squeeze on my trigger when back-up came barreling around the corner), afterwards, I was overwhelmed with grief just thinking about "it". So, prepare yourself now. Now is the time to decide that you, your family and your belongings are worth defending, or not. Once you convince yourself that they are worth saving, do NOT hesitate. It was either you or him, or worse, your loved one or him.
Just today, I read a slogan at a website on Cor-bon ammo. it read: "Somebody's gonna win, might as well be you".. that pretty much sums it up, doesn't it?
“If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
― Dalai Lama XIV

johnson0317
Posts in topic: 2

Post by johnson0317 »

polisci wrote:...afterwards, I was overwhelmed with grief just thinking about "it". So, prepare yourself now. Now is the time to decide that you, your family and your belongings are worth defending, or not. Once you convince yourself that they are worth saving, do NOT hesitate. It was either you or him, or worse, your loved one or him.
Thanks for that. I don't think many of us, including myself, understand the grief we would go through in taking the life of another human being.

RJ
CHL Received 5/16/11
Proud Member NRA
Proud Member Texas Concealed Handgun Association
Proud Member Second Amendment Foundation
Proud Member of The Truth Squad founded by Tom Gresham. "A lie left unchallenged becomes the truth"

goose

Post by goose »

johnson0317 wrote:
polisci wrote:...afterwards, I was overwhelmed with grief just thinking about "it". So, prepare yourself now. Now is the time to decide that you, your family and your belongings are worth defending, or not. Once you convince yourself that they are worth saving, do NOT hesitate. It was either you or him, or worse, your loved one or him.
Thanks for that. I don't think many of us, including myself, understand the grief we would go through in taking the life of another human being.

RJ
Agreed, that is a direct tie into what is always my first thought when gun defense comes up. So many good thoughts already posted. Mine are all rehashings of previously expressed ideas.

1)Decide if you are willing to end a life to defend your own or your loved ones’. Because I am a “gun person” folks ask me about CHL and/or which home defense gun to buy. My very first question is “Are you willing to end a life to defend your own or your loved ones?” If the answer is “no,” and many folks that are honest will say no, buy a 12 gauge shotgun and NO shells for it. If you’re lucky the sound of the action will scare them off. If not all you gave them was a club. If the answer is “yes” there are a hundred other threads on the topic.

2)Know the laws and know the difference between legal and prudent. Someone else said it, I will rarely be using my firearms to protect my property. The civil liabilities for being right may outweigh the value I put on much of my stuff. This is a huge grey area with no right answer but the answer you create for yourself.

3)You can be a sheepdog without shooting everything in sight. All of the strategies of de-escalation, moving to cover, etc can be applied to helping those around you. Just because the stereotypical little old lady got her purse stolen doesn’t mean you need to chase down the bad guy and cap ‘em. Protecting her and rendering aid to her is infinitely harder to do if you’ve removed yourself from her side to go play cop.
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

TLE2

Post by TLE2 »

1. It will become a life style issue for the rest of your life so find a comfortable effective method of concealment.
I would modify this to say don't ever be comfortable carrying. By that I mean that little dig in the side gives you a reminder that you have decided:

1) not to be a victim; and
2) to take a life (You cannot shoot to wound. You shoot to stop. But that means center mass, fire until they stop. If they don't, next it's a head shot.)

Like the cross I wear around my neck, that dig in your side should be a reminder of the choices you've made.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... (Jefferson quoting Beccaria)

... tyrants accomplish their purposes ...by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms. - Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

Richard.45

Post by Richard.45 »

Just wanted to say that this thread is probably one of the best I've ever read. Sound, thoughtful advice. Should be required reading for any CHL holder.

anomie

Post by anomie »

rp_photo wrote:This is also a rule I live by. Deciding whether a place is "carry-worthy" is stressful, and can even make you feel judgemental.
I'm not sure where I read/saw it first (it might even have been this forum, or, possibly, more embarrassingly, this thread, even), but "If you wouldn't go there without a gun, don't go there with one" seems to me to generally be applicable. Possibly with some very situational exceptions (thinking cops as a for-instance here)

Then again, I've not actually carried in public yet, so what the heck do I know? :mrgreen:
You can have an attitude
or you can carry a gun
but you can't do both
-- unknown (If you have any information on the origination of this quote, please let me know)

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

A Texas CHL license is not a Batman License. MYOB!

AEA
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AEA »

Carry as much ammo as you comfortably can. You can never have too much when needed for multiple targets.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

gigag04
Posts in topic: 3

Post by gigag04 »

Carry
Carry an extra mag
Carry an extra gun (when possible)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Return to “New to CHL?”