The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
AbsoluteZer0
Posts in topic: 2

In chamber or no?

Post by AbsoluteZer0 »

Greetings,

I've been lurking for a while now. I finally got my CHL about a month ago and have been doing great with all the guidance that I've got from the class and from reading the posts here.

The question that I have is probably a more personal choice question, but I'm interested in knowing what you all think. I have a Springfield XDM 3.8" .45 ACP that I use as my carry weapon. I have been in the military and carried weapons before but the mindset is a little different than I have when I'm walking around on the street with kids and such around. I find that I don't feel very comfortable with the idea of a round in the chamber. I still have a Springfield ultra compact V10 that is a bit old now and I liked the fact that it could lay the hammer down and keep a round in the chamber and if I needed to draw only pull the hammer back. With the XDM I am concerned about keeping one in the chamber. However, I don't like the idea of having to draw the slide as I'm pulling the weapon either. I'm really torn between which way I should go with it.

How do you guys feel about this? Do you carry a round in the chamber?

speedsix
Posts in topic: 10

Re: In chamber or no?

Post by speedsix »

...yes...with a holster that covers the trigger completely...I'd hate to know I had to have both hands free to fire...especially with children to care for...

psijac

Post by psijac »

Chamber your weapon. I had the same background/problem, empty chambers where meant to keep Private Smuckatelle and Lt Klulis From hurting themselves. Be smart about your weapon, if it falls let it drop otherwise your grasping fingers will make it fire
07/25/09 - CHL class completed
07/31/09 - Received Pin/Packet sent.
09/23/09 - Plastic in hand!!

i8godzilla
Posts in topic: 1

Post by i8godzilla »

Welcome to the forum. :tiphat:

Chambered.
No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor. -- Murdock v. Pennsylvania
If the State converts a right into a privilege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right with impunity. -- Shuttleworth v. City of Birmingham

hi-power

Post by hi-power »

I agree with everyone above...Mine is always in Condition One: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety on.

Like the post above, I also use a good quality holster that fully covers the trigger.

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

Carry chambered, at least thats what I do.
As others have said, be sure to use a proper holster that covers the trigger completely, and for the worry about
"
AbsoluteZer0 wrote:I have when I'm walking around on the street with kids and such around
Don't let them have access to your weapon (I am not saying that as if you would, but it has never been a worry for me, its concealed, its always in a proper holster and its only in my possession)
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

magicglock

Post by magicglock »

:iagree: I struggled with the same issue for almost the whole first year I carried. Everyone I talked to couldn't imagine carrying an evil glock with one in the chamber! Needless to say, I found this forum and was convinced to get a proper holster and carry with a round chambered. Now I can't really see the point of carrying without one chambered. If you are faced with drawing your weapon under stress, racking the slide and removing a manual safety are not steps I would like to add to the process.

Topic author
AbsoluteZer0

Post by AbsoluteZer0 »

I appreciate the responses. I do have a IWB holster. I'm not thrilled with it and have ordered a crossbreed supertuck, but don't have it yet.
magicglock wrote::iagree: If you are faced with drawing your weapon under stress, racking the slide and removing a manual safety are not steps I would like to add to the process.
The only problem with this is in my mind that there is no additional safety for this weapon that I know of... so once the round is in the chamber its just pull the trigger. The holster that I have does cover about 90% of the trigger so I guess I'm worried about nothing. I was practicing drawing and sliding the rack and it wasn't that difficult but I totally agree it is not something I want to do under stress.

Thank you for all the replies! :patriot:

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

This has been discussed by newbies in every gun forum in the country, and I don't know how many times in this forum. You don't have to search very far or very hard to find real-life cases where a handgun was used for self defense under circumstances where the person would have been unable to cock a hammer or rack a slide. There was one recent case where a woman was attacked and pushed into the car with a 200 lb man on top of her. If she needed two hands, she would not have been able to shoot him.

Most self defense situations are at contact distance. You may very well be fending off an attacker with one hand while drawing and shooting with the other.

If you are uncomfortable with the idea, work on your gun handling skills. Try IDPA.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Yes, always carry with one in the pipe, ready to fire.

None of our guns have gone off by themselves, but they ARE ready to go off if
needed for self defense since we have one in the pipe.

Your Springer's grip safety will suffice. Don't overthink this. If no finger is on your
trigger, and your hand is not firmly gripping your gun, no bullet will be fired.

As part of safe handgun handling, always "index" your trigger finger along the slide
until you absolutely need to fire. This is for ANY handgun.

A finger on the trigger is NOT necessary to hold a gun.
A finger on the trigger IS necessary to fire a round.

Don't worry - be happy.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by RPB »

:iagree: I know people who think people totin' guns should leave the ammo at home, so it will be safe.

There's a good video of a jewelry store guy being shot by two other guys while he tries to rack the slide several times, gets a misfeed/Failure to feed, keeps racking and tapping until it finally fires as the two guys leave the store and he slumps over dead etc.

I only needed to see it once.

Too graphic to link to here, but you can find it if you try.

Picture of a Safety on a Revolver which has one in the chamber =
Keep the Boogar hook off the bang switch.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

erick619

Post by erick619 »

chambered.

http://www.theppsc.org/Staff_Views/Tuel ... .Close.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

(J.R.R.Tolkien [Faramir], The Two Towers)

Napier

Post by Napier »

Always carry with a round chambered and the slide racked. But only if the pistol has a slide or hammer safety, or you can drop the hammer. That excludes quite a few so-called "safe" pistols. IMO it ain't even remotely safe without an old-fashioned safety.

RottenApple

Post by RottenApple »

Chambered, cocked, and locked. :tiphat:

Return to “New to CHL?”