Re: In chamber or no?

Post by Bugler »

T3 is chambered, cocked, and locked. :thumbs2:
HK P7M8 is chambered. :cool:

BigGuy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by BigGuy »

A gun without a round in the chamber is actually a very short club.
There was a warning about no booger hook required on the bang button on another forum.
http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php? ... ldly-NSFW)
It seems those plastic drawstring adjusters are good at finding the trigger.

jmra
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jmra »

johnson0317 wrote:Sorry I do not have the link to this, but it is a YouTube vid by LimaLife. This is a woman that does a lot of reviews from the perspective of a woman. Does a pretty good job. She did one on how not carrying one in the pipe can affect the outcome. She started with one in the pipe (using an airsoft pistol) against her assailant that was using a rubber knife. Her one rule was that she could not attempt to engage until she felt threatened. With one in the pipe she was able to get off a shot as she was being stabbed the first time, and a second shot off as she was getting stabbed the second time. Not great results, but chances are she could have been saved. In the second instance, without one in the pipe, she was unable to ready and fire at all. Her "assailant" stabbed her multiple times without her even being able to reach her pistol. I think we can put the Tueller Drill aside for the most part as most of us will not be fortunate enough to have a 21 foot warning track. Most assaults will come when the assailant is close enough they think they can finish it off quickly. Your choice, but one in the pipe is the only way I carry.

RJ
I am a firm advocate of one in the chamber, but what exactly does not having one in the chamber have to do with not being able to "reach her pistol"? I realize that chambering a round will add to the time before she can fire but should not have anything to do with how long it takes her to "reach her pistol".
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

johnson0317
Posts in topic: 4

Post by johnson0317 »

He was on her before she could "draw", and knocked her down; she is rather petite and was easily manhandled. It would have been a no-win situation even if she had one in the pipe. My point, however, is you have a higher chance of success if you carry ready to go. Even with multiple stab wounds, with adrenaline on full flow, she might could still clear her weapon from the holster...and then they could have a contest to see who could put the most holes in who.

RJ
CHL Received 5/16/11
Proud Member NRA
Proud Member Texas Concealed Handgun Association
Proud Member Second Amendment Foundation
Proud Member of The Truth Squad founded by Tom Gresham. "A lie left unchallenged becomes the truth"

jmra

Post by jmra »

johnson0317 wrote:He was on her before she could "draw", and knocked her down; she is rather petite and was easily manhandled. It would have been a no-win situation even if she had one in the pipe. My point, however, is you have a higher chance of success if you carry ready to go. Even with multiple stab wounds, with adrenaline on full flow, she might could still clear her weapon from the holster...and then they could have a contest to see who could put the most holes in who.

RJ
I guess I misunderstood your post. In the first instance (one in the pipe) she was not only able to reach her weapon, but get off two shots. In the second instance (chamber empty) she was not even able to "reach her pistol". It made it sound like the reason she was unable to reach her pistol was because the chamber was empty. But upon reading it again, I'm assuming that the attacker moved more quickly in the second instance or her reaction time was slower. To get a truer picture of the difference between "in chamber or no", the demonstrators should have instituted some controls into their experiment which would have provided the victim the same time to react in both instances. The demonstration is meaningless without these controls as the results can be manipulated to produce the desired result.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

pops1982

Post by pops1982 »

I say always carry with one in the chamber ready to fire FOR safety reasons. This way you will always treat the gun like it is ready to fire because it is. If you carry the gun without a round in the chamber you will tend to treat the gun as safe and this is never good. Complacency while handling any gun is dangerous.
Lifetime NRA
CHL
Glock 27 CCW 24/7
“When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.” - Thomas Jefferson

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Always chambered, cocked and locked. I am not Barney Fife :mrgreen:
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by RPB »

Every time I read a thread on this topic I wonder if I should be draining the gasoline out of my car every night so it doesn't go off by itself ...

then I remember that I can prevent the "on switch" from activating and I stop worrying.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Scott in Houston

Post by Scott in Houston »

RPB wrote:Every time I read a thread on this topic I wonder if I should be draining the gasoline out of my car every night so it doesn't go off by itself ...

then I remember that I can prevent the "on switch" from activating and I stop worrying.

"rlol" "rlol" :lol:

I can't believe I've never heard this.

74novaman
Posts in topic: 6

Post by 74novaman »

RPB wrote:Every time I read a thread on this topic I wonder if I should be draining the gasoline out of my car every night so it doesn't go off by itself ...

That goes well with my magazine bit.

Every time I hear someone talk about how they don't keep magazines loaded so the springs don't wear out, I say "Quick! Better go put your car on jack stands so the springs don't wear out!".
TANSTAAFL

Scott in Houston

Another very good point that I cannot believe I've not heard yet. :)

xaggie95

Post by xaggie95 »

Chambered with a good holster. It didn't take me long to realize how uncomfortable I become the longer I carried without one in the chamber.
Remember the 4 Laws of Gun Safety and always be respectful of the firearm.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 5

Post by WildBill »

Scott in Houston wrote:Another very good point that I cannot believe I've not heard yet. :)
I think that Nova fellow is a "car guy". ;-)
NRA Endowment Member

Scott in Houston

WildBill wrote:
Scott in Houston wrote:Another very good point that I cannot believe I've not heard yet. :)
I think that Nova fellow is a "car guy". ;-)
Haha. So am I, so we may be long lost brothers.

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SQLGeek »

Another good example where carrying without one in the pipe may not have gone too well in the CHLers favor:

http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=57276" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Psalm 91:2

Return to “New to CHL?”