CHL Renewal AUSTIN -- Mike Nellis or recommendations?

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
HerbM
Posts in topic: 2

CHL Renewal AUSTIN -- Mike Nellis or recommendations?

Post by HerbM »

Anyone know if Mike Nellis is still teaching CHL renewals in Austin,
and if so, how to get in touch?

His website austinchltraining.com is not working and his phone listed
in various Google searches is no longer valid.

Mike was EXCELLENT, inexpensive, and nearby (although we drove out
to Manor to shoot) so I hope he is still in business, well, and available.

Otherwise, suggestions for simplest (most inclusive etc), cheapest, closest
(no traveling), and preferably most interesting instructor?

I really like all of the trainings that Karl Rehn does (KRTraining.com) but
Karl doesn't do the CHL's himself and the ones he sponsors are out of town a little bit.
HerbM

30-30
Posts in topic: 1

Post by 30-30 »

Tom Shaefer does the CHL classes for KR training, and is great. Very laid back, knowledgeable and, heck, when I took the class there was a sheep in the class (no really, one with 4 legs). Dale isn't too far outside of Austin and the land is nice out there, I'd highly recommend them.

Topic author
HerbM
Posts in topic: 2

Post by HerbM »

I know Karl and Penny really well and have heard nothing but good things about Tom so I am sure from both those recommendations and the association with KR that he is great.

My real goal is to keep this as cheap in both time and money as practical --driving out of town is a fact -- since this is basically just "incarceration time" if you already know the material. The shooting is merely pro-forma for most people as well.

Mike Nellis did have one advantage in that he had actually testified in (one of) the most publicized shooting cases here in Austin (an acquittal for the CHL holder) and offers a promise to do that if one of his students is every charged.
HerbM

luvmystook

Re: CHL Renewal AUSTIN -- Mike Nellis or recommendations?

Post by luvmystook »

HerbM wrote:Anyone know if Mike Nellis is still teaching CHL renewals in Austin,
and if so, how to get in touch?

His website austinchltraining.com is not working and his phone listed
in various Google searches is no longer valid.

Mike was EXCELLENT, inexpensive, and nearby (although we drove out
to Manor to shoot) so I hope he is still in business, well, and available.
I don't have a web link, but a valid work phone is 512-835-4456. He has schedule available for both new and renewal CHL classes. I'm signed up next month.

Freedom4All

Post by Freedom4All »

I took a class with Ross Bransford and thought he did a very good job. We also went to the range in Manor for the shooting qualification.

http://chl-texas.com/

(edited for spelling)
To summarize, we conclude that the Second Amendment protects an individual right to keep and bear arms. That right existed prior to the formation of the new government under the Constitution ...

NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

Tom Shaefer does the CHL classes for KR training, and is great. Very laid back, knowledgeable and, heck, when I took the class there was a sheep in the class (no really, one with 4 legs). Dale isn't too far outside of Austin and the land is nice out there, I'd highly recommend them.
I'll vouch for Tom Schaefer as well, he seems to be a great guy, and makes the required time in his class as lively as possible. I believe renewals are $75, but he does the photos, fingerprints (he's ex-LEO), and notarizations for you, as well as checking all your forms to make sure everything is right before you send it in. I'm not sure about renewal classes, but for my new CHL class, lunch was also included in the price of the class. He also makes himself available for conversation and questions, and the class has a nice and relaxed atmosphere.

Return to “New to CHL?”