What Would You Do?

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
WildBill
Posts in topic: 7

What Would You Do?

Post by WildBill »

There is a thread about whether or not you should admit to carrying. What would you do or say if you saw someone who was exposing their handgun?

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=57245&p=703284#p703284" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Endowment Member

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Re: What Would You Do?

Post by RoyGBiv »

If somebody asked me, I'd say it was my insulin pump.

If I saw somebody else carrying, I'd be forced to make a judgment call. If I thought they were just a CHL, I'd say "your 2nd amendment is showing". :mrgreen:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

gringo pistolero

Post by gringo pistolero »

Is it fully exposed or do you see the shape through their clothes?
I sincerely apologize to anybody I offended by suggesting the Second Amendment also applies to The People who don't work for the government.

Topic author
WildBill

Post by WildBill »

RoyGBiv wrote:If somebody asked me, I'd say it was my insulin pump.

If I saw somebody else carrying, I'd be forced to make a judgment call. If I thought they were just a CHL, I'd say "your 2nd amendment is showing". :mrgreen:
If they didn't have a CHL that comment might get some very strange looks! :lol:
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
WildBill

Post by WildBill »

gringo pistolero wrote:Is it fully exposed or do you see the shape through their clothes?
I am thinking mostly about a wardrobe malfunction.
NRA Endowment Member

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Oldgringo »

In Texas, I'd watch him/her until I was convinced that they were not up to mischief. In Montana, I'd probably just nod. In neither case would I initiate a conversation. It ain't none of my business until it becomes my business, you know what I mean?

tomtexan

Post by tomtexan »

Oldgringo wrote:In Texas, I'd watch him/her until I was convinced that they were not up to mischief. In Montana, I'd probably just nod. In neither case would I initiate a conversation. It ain't none of my business until it becomes my business, you know what I mean?
:iagree:
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

Divided Attention

Post by Divided Attention »

Kinda like when you are talking with someone and they have pepper between their teeth - you suck on your teeth, maybe even pretend to pick your teeth quickly - or to my children's dismay say "There's a bit between your teeth" - or Toilet paper on your shoe - or zipper check. I would want someone to tell me. Most folks up to no good don't have a holster - if I saw and IWB and a shirt pulled up over the butt I would have to catch their eye, tug on my shirt, and if they just didn't get it say "cover check". I hope someone would tell me before someone wigged out! Althought I did get out ot my car a couple days ago after carrying some packages my 9mm but was in front of my tee shirt because my purchases had lifted the hem I guess. I have no idea how long it had been that way, but it maybe explains why the older gentleman really stared at me as I was walking to my car. He did the triple check, not alarmed, just a confused look. I met his gaze and told him good afternoon - I like to let folks know I have seen them. ;-)
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Tough call. I'd have to take a few things in before doing or not doing anything. What kind of gun? Holster? Overall behavior and appearance of the person. If everything points to law abiding citizen I'd quietly mention it to them so they could cover it up better. If I'm not sure, that gets a bit tougher. I guess it will have to be one of those things where you'll just know based on how you feel about it at the time. If it doesn't feel right, I'd somehow get a hold of the police or store manager to get a hold of them.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Pitt

Post by Pitt »

Speaking of carrying without a holster. There was a young "kid" (he just made the legal age) in the class I took who wants to carry his weapon in his waistband. I tried to tell him how dangerous this can be and since we were in a Bass Pro Shop taking the class, I even showed him holsters that would allow him to carry in the front of his waistband and offer the stability needed to keep the weapons from falling. Needless to say, I was unsuccessful. I applaud the kid for attempting to carry legally, but wanting to carry in the same fashion as a common thug, gangster, or hoodlum (insert your descriptive word here) is youthful, irresponsible, and makes me question how you will conduct yourself if granted approval to carry concealed.

Some people obviously need more education on this right to carry a concealed weapon. Responsbility and safety are paramount. Should the age change? Should trainees have to show method of carry while in the class? I realize there are several methods of carry, hip, ankle pocket, purse, etc, etc. But should we see that everybody has a holster just as we see most (not all) have weapons. So if you bring a weapon, you bring a holster. I know this doesn't stop someone from walking out the door and doing whatever, but at least the instructors know they got the message.

Thoughts from the forum?

Moby76065

Post by Moby76065 »

My CHL instructor said we had to have a holster.
And yes, I think the age needs to be at least 25.

Reds45ACP

Post by Reds45ACP »

I guess it depends. You try to be a good judge of people but looks can be deceiving. If it was subtle and it looked like a holstered weapon I might just nudge them and mention it. Thats only if I'm comfortable with the situation. If not, I'd mention it to the store clerk and let them handle it (assuming I'm in some place of business, or I might call for LEO and let them handle it. Its not my place to Police others.
Hello. My name is Red and I used to carry a .45. Now I carry a 9mm and it's getting easier to admit every day.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Pitt wrote:Speaking of carrying without a holster. There was a young "kid" (he just made the legal age) in the class I took who wants to carry his weapon in his waistband. I tried to tell him how dangerous this can be and since we were in a Bass Pro Shop taking the class, I even showed him holsters that would allow him to carry in the front of his waistband and offer the stability needed to keep the weapons from falling. Needless to say, I was unsuccessful. I applaud the kid for attempting to carry legally, but wanting to carry in the same fashion as a common thug, gangster, or hoodlum (insert your descriptive word here) is youthful, irresponsible, and makes me question how you will conduct yourself if granted approval to carry concealed.

Some people obviously need more education on this right to carry a concealed weapon. Responsbility and safety are paramount. Should the age change? Should trainees have to show method of carry while in the class? I realize there are several methods of carry, hip, ankle pocket, purse, etc, etc. But should we see that everybody has a holster just as we see most (not all) have weapons. So if you bring a weapon, you bring a holster. I know this doesn't stop someone from walking out the door and doing whatever, but at least the instructors know they got the message.

Thoughts from the forum?
Yes. Suggest to him that he join this forum, and then I will share with him by PM the number of times I've seen someone doing exactly that (carry a gun in their waist band without a holster) who showed up in my emergency room after shooting themselves right in the their personal business, sometimes tagging more than one "organ" in the process. Multiple holes. Lots of blood. Powder burns in the underwear. Painful massive swelling. Hematomas. Permanent loss of "function." Etc. The only good thing about it is the impossible lies they make up to try and explain just how such a thing could happen. Very inventive, but very hard to believe. Not to mention the lifelong ridicule from all of his friends. "AAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!! Dude, you SHOT yourself in the......."

Does he really want to be that dude? This stuff isn't a myth. It really does happen; and almost anybody who has worked in an ER has seen it at least once.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Oldgringo »

Pitt wrote:Speaking of carrying without a holster. There was a young "kid" (he just made the legal age) in the class I took who wants to carry his weapon in his waistband. I tried to tell him how dangerous this can be and since we were in a Bass Pro Shop taking the class, I even showed him holsters that would allow him to carry in the front of his waistband and offer the stability needed to keep the weapons from falling. Needless to say, I was unsuccessful. I applaud the kid for attempting to carry legally, but wanting to carry in the same fashion as a common thug, gangster, or hoodlum (insert your descriptive word here) is youthful, irresponsible, and makes me question how you will conduct yourself if granted approval to carry concealed.

Thoughts from the forum?
Unfortunately, there is no test question that measures, or any age where stupidity is outgrown. You either got it or you don't.

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

Pitt wrote: Some people obviously need more education on this right to carry a concealed weapon. Responsbility and safety are paramount. Should the age change? Should trainees have to show method of carry while in the class? I realize there are several methods of carry, hip, ankle pocket, purse, etc, etc. But should we see that everybody has a holster just as we see most (not all) have weapons. So if you bring a weapon, you bring a holster. I know this doesn't stop someone from walking out the door and doing whatever, but at least the instructors know they got the message.

Thoughts from the forum?

Educating people on what is safe or intelligent is fine and I would applaud any efforts made by private citizens or groups to do so.

Suggesting the govt should impose yet MORE restrictions on our rights is a non starter for me. The instructors already have a lot of material to cover during class, they shouldn't have to babysit people on how to carry as well.

If folks want advice from their instructor on the matter, fine. But I don't think the state should add it to the curriculum.

To be completely crass about the matter: perhaps those who choose to do unsafe things with weapons are doing humanity a favor if they damage their ability to pass on their obviously less than stellar genes (as long as no innocent bystanders are hurt in the process, of course). :biggrinjester:
TANSTAAFL

Return to “New to CHL?”