question about disqualifying event

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
princebarry
Posts in topic: 3

question about disqualifying event

Post by princebarry »

This has probably been covered a thousand times on here, but i'll beat the dead horse.

In 2001 I was arrested for possession of a controlled substance in a drug free zone, a 3rd degree felony. I was sentenced to 5 yrs deferred adjudication probation and successfully completed said probation, thus not resulting in a conviction of a felony. In May, i will have been off probation for 5 years. Is this going to disqualify me from obtaining my CHL? i know that the second firearm I purchased after completing probation i was denied on, but i went thru the appeals process and was able to proceed, and have purchased several since. I've been told numerous different things, from i had to wait 10 yrs from the date of the arrest, to 5 yrs after completing probtaion, to i will be permanently disqualified from my CHL. i have talked to at least half a dozen CHL instructors in and around Tyler, and they have all told me different things. A friend pointed me to this forum, so here i am.

Any and all help, as long as its correct, is appreciated. no offense.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: question about disqualifying event

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Ten years from the date you were placed on deferred adjudication. Only charges pursuant to Tex. Penal Code Title 5, or Chapters 29 or 42 would be a permanent disqualification.

Chas.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

princebarry wrote:Any and all help, as long as its correct, is appreciated. no offense.
When Mr. Cotton answers the question, you can take it to the bank that he is correct (seeing as he helped draft much of the statutes).
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Topic author
princebarry

Post by princebarry »

I appreciate the help. Its been frustrating trying to get straight answers and sort thru the bull. I guess the moral of the story is dont make poor choices and you wont have to pay the consequences. Thanks guys.

couzin

Post by couzin »

princebarry wrote:...I guess the moral of the story is dont make poor choices and you wont have to pay the consequences...
Now there's a breath of fresh air...!
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

Topic author
princebarry

Post by princebarry »

well, its the truth. while i was going thru what i went thru, i tried to blame everyone from the officers to my parents. i never could grasp the fact that I was the one who was at fault, and i paid the price for years. once i took ownership of the choices i made, i was able to overcome them. you cant fix it, till you own it.

Return to “New to CHL?”