Places to carry? Can I?

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
cprems
Posts in topic: 7

Places to carry? Can I?

Post by cprems »

Let me preface this with I just got my license again after letting it lapse in 2001. Back then, the laws were very different.

I carry 24/7 but have run into a few places where I was unsure and left my weapon in the car.

The places were - a Dr. office (no sign posted) this Dr deals with children's psychological trauma.

The city library - had a "firearms are prohibited" gun buster sign"

I carry just about any other place (legally) but for some reason these 2 places made me question myself and the self doubt led me to leave my weapon in the car for fear of violating the law?

I have read the laws and understand them but why these 2 places?

I have carried into banks (where not 30.06'd and the other places that I thought might give me concern. Is this feeling normal? Or am I being overly cautious?

I guess I am overly cautious but the last thing I want to do is get caught violating the law. I welcome any comments.
04/01/2013 - Online application
06/22/2013 - Plastic in hand
75 days - mailbox to mailbox
03/17 - renewal - 42 days plastic in hand

RX8er
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Places to carry? Can I?

Post by RX8er »

I am not sure I understand fully? You said you read the law? Is it that you are just not sure or think you cannot carry in these places? There are no laws outside of 30.06 that say you cannot carry in to these places. In other words, unless it is a big ugly 30.06 sign, you are legal to carry at the couple location you said.
Final Shot offers Firearms / FFL Transfers / CHL Instruction. Please like our Facebook Page.
If guns kill people, do pens misspell words?
I like options: Sig Sauer | DPMS | Springfield Armory | Glock | Beretta

bizarrenormality

Post by bizarrenormality »

Unless it was a school library, or the doctor's office was in a posted hospital, why would they be off limits?

Topic author
cprems

Post by cprems »

RX8er wrote:I am not sure I understand fully? You said you read the law? Is it that you are just not sure or think you cannot carry in these places? There are no laws outside of 30.06 that say you cannot carry in to these places. In other words, unless it is a big ugly 30.06 sign, you are legal to carry at the couple location you said.
I believe that my concern was over these two places. Why? I don't know as they are not posted off limits. I do understand the 30.06 and TABC laws. There are other laws that also cover hospitals and I second guessed myself.

I am being overly cautious. the last thing i want is to get caught on the wrong side of the law.

jayinsat
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jayinsat »

Check out this thread. viewtopic.php?f=53&t=34571" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Armed not dangerous but potentially lethal.
CHL Application mailed 10/2/12
Plastic in hand 11/16/12

RX8er

Post by RX8er »

cprems wrote:
RX8er wrote:I am not sure I understand fully? You said you read the law? Is it that you are just not sure or think you cannot carry in these places? There are no laws outside of 30.06 that say you cannot carry in to these places. In other words, unless it is a big ugly 30.06 sign, you are legal to carry at the couple location you said.
I believe that my concern was over these two places. Why? I don't know as they are not posted off limits. I do understand the 30.06 and TABC laws. There are other laws that also cover hospitals and I second guessed myself.

I am being overly cautious. the last thing i want is to get caught on the wrong side of the law.

Overly cautious, I agree. :biggrinjester: Concealed means concealed. :cheers2:
Final Shot offers Firearms / FFL Transfers / CHL Instruction. Please like our Facebook Page.
If guns kill people, do pens misspell words?
I like options: Sig Sauer | DPMS | Springfield Armory | Glock | Beretta

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

>The places were - a Dr. office (no sign posted) this Dr deals with children's psychological trauma.
You can. Treat it like any other public business. Exceptions would be if your doctor is on the campus of a teaching hospital.
I take mine off. I know I'm going to the scale and there is a good chance that they'll ask about the weight.

>The city library - had a "firearms are prohibited" gun buster sign"
It's not a valid 30.06 sign. You can ignore it.
If it was 30.06, it's posted on a city owned building and it's essentially invalid. Some cities put 30.06 anyway.
That being said, be aware if you carry and you run into a LEO that doesn't know the law, it may not get straightened out without some expense.

Topic author
cprems

Post by cprems »

I appreciate all the information, the indirect reassurance and the link.

As it has been stated - "concealed IS concealed".

anomie

Post by anomie »

cprems wrote:I carry 24/7 but have run into a The city library - had a "firearms are prohibited" gun buster sign"
My bank has one of those. It doesn't even say 'no weapons', it's just the gun buster sign.

They're a bank, I figure if they really wanted to prohibit a CHL from carrying, they would have the 30.06, but I've sort of had the same thoughts as you - would I carry into there or not?

Then again, I do all my banking online anyway.
You can have an attitude
or you can carry a gun
but you can't do both
-- unknown (If you have any information on the origination of this quote, please let me know)

birdman253

Post by birdman253 »

cprems wrote:
RX8er wrote:?......There are other laws that also cover hospitals.......
I believe you are incorrect in this statement. Perhaps one of the more experienced members will correct me if I am wrong, but it is my understanding that hospitals are not prohibited from carry for a CHL holder, unless they have a compliant 30.06 posted.

If the hospital is part of an educational institution, then the statement above does not apply.

Am I wrong on this?

Ruger3

Post by Ruger3 »

Hospitals are required to posted proper 30:06 signs if they do not want you carrying OR if they are part of a college/teaching hospital then they are no carry zones.
Ruger LC9
CHL class - April 29, 2013
Application mailed - May 20, 2013
PLASTIC! - June 22, 2013

Av8rtx

Post by Av8rtx »

anomie wrote:
cprems wrote:I carry 24/7 but have run into a The city library - had a "firearms are prohibited" gun buster sign"
My bank has one of those. It doesn't even say 'no weapons', it's just the gun buster sign.

They're a bank, I figure if they really wanted to prohibit a CHL from carrying, they would have the 30.06, but I've sort of had the same thoughts as you - would I carry into there or not?

Then again, I do all my banking online anyway.
I agree, my bank has a no revolvers sign judging by the image with a red slash through it-so I'm good

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

My doctor is not posted, but I leave it in the car, because I know I'm going to be taking my pants off ('m at that age).
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

oohrah wrote:My doctor is not posted, but I leave it in the car, because I know I'm going to be taking my pants off ('m at that age).
I have no problem with having to disrobe as they leave the office and I can wrap my gun up on my clothes. My concern is the extra poundage added when I get weighed in. :banghead:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

I have so much extra 'poundage' already that that added by the gun is inconsequential. Kinda like feeling the need for my own ball at the bowling alley...house ball vs. a personal ball isn't gonna make much difference to my game...lol
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

Return to “New to CHL?”