a tale of two belts

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
spolct
Posts in topic: 2

a tale of two belts

Post by spolct »

i've worn an 'amish' belt with my LC9 since i got my plastic 2 years ago. i figured since it wasn't a massive gun it would be okay and i guess it's worked out fairly well. after Christmas, i decided to spend my midwayusa.com gift card on a wilderness tactical 5-stitch belt and all i can say is holy cats! it makes a HUGE difference. i should have done this a while ago. significant improvement in stiffness, stability, and comfort. if i remember right, the amish thing was ~$40 and the instructor belt was ~$50 which makes it almost a no brainer if you don't have to tuck in your shirt and are on a budget (like me). i like the ability to get the belt just right without having to mess with holes that don't always line up with that 'sweet spot' on the dial.

if you've been around this site for a while, you're probably saying 'well duh', but if you're new to this scene and are thinking about a carry setup don't forget about the GUN belt.

the end.

MoJo

Re: a tale of two belts

Post by MoJo »

I love wilderness belts, I have three instructor belts and two frequent flyers. I also have leather belts the two double thickness custom made belts are great but I reach for one of the wilderness 9 of 10 times. :tiphat:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Texsquatch
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Texsquatch »

I like that belt. You may also want to try the 5.11 double duty belt. Academy carries them and you can get them online for around $20. It's similar, but I think the Wilderness may be a little stiffer. The 5.11 has a polymer buckle that I really like alot as it is so easy to adjust and never loosens up. Plus, it doesn't rub on my soft armor (belly). It's perfect for something light like an LC9. I wear mine with my G27 and LCR all the time with no problems. And, if you ever have to tuck your shirt in, the buckle style on the 5.11 is a little more modest than the rigger buckle.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Annoyed Man »

My Instructor belt has been my EDC for several years now. It has held up really well........and it is my second one. The velcro is finally starting to wear out on the hook side of the hook and loop. I'm going to buy a second one, and then I'm going to send the old one in to The Wilderness and have them put the buckle on a new belt. They'll do that for you, and you can save some money that way. I figure the two belts will last me to the grave.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
spolct

Post by spolct »

Texsquatch wrote:I like that belt. You may also want to try the 5.11 double duty belt. Academy carries them and you can get them online for around $20. It's similar, but I think the Wilderness may be a little stiffer. The 5.11 has a polymer buckle that I really like alot as it is so easy to adjust and never loosens up. Plus, it doesn't rub on my soft armor (belly). It's perfect for something light like an LC9. I wear mine with my G27 and LCR all the time with no problems. And, if you ever have to tuck your shirt in, the buckle style on the 5.11 is a little more modest than the rigger buckle.
i should have added that about a year ago i bought a 5.11 TDU belt with the plastic buckle and it was comfortable, but very flimsy since it is only single thickness (realized it after it arrived). it works in a pinch, but its main purpose now is either flying or keeping my pants up sans gun (neither of which happen very often) later on i found the double duty at bass pro and it was much stiffer. i think you're right though the wilderness is a bit stiffer.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

MoJo wrote:I love wilderness belts, I have three instructor belts and two frequent flyers. I also have leather belts the two double thickness custom made belts are great but I reach for one of the wilderness 9 of 10 times. :tiphat:
:iagree: On the 5-stitch 1 3/4" belts. I use these if I am casual and Beltman Bullhide for dressier occasions.

I haven't tried the frequent flyers. That is because I am happy with the instructor belt. Although I haven't tried many other brands, IMO the Wilderness instructor belts are superior than 5.11.
NRA Endowment Member

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

The Annoyed Man wrote: I'm going to buy a second one, and then I'm going to send the old one in to The Wilderness and have them put the buckle on a new belt. They'll do that for you, and you can save some money that way.

From Wilderness' FAQs:

Q: Can I refurbish my Instructor Belt?
A: Yes! Our belts are not disposable and we have a great refurbishment program:

• Replacing the hook & loop is $15.00 plus shipping. Replacing hook (scratchy side) is free plus shipping.

• We no longer offer rebuilds on old carbon steel Instructor buckles. However you will receive a $60 credit when you send us your Titanium Instructor Belt buckle to have us build a new belt body on it.

Q: Do I need a return authorization?
A: Yes. An unexpected box may be refused or improperly re-routed without an RA number on the outside. Please call 1-800-775-5650 and a sales associate will help you set up a return or exchange. Return authorizations can only be issued by phone, not e-mail.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

MoJo wrote:• We no longer offer rebuilds on old carbon steel Instructor buckles. However you will receive a $60 credit when you send us your Titanium Instructor Belt buckle to have us build a new belt body on it.
I am glad I bought the titanium buckle. It is lighter and stronger than the steel. I don't know if I will ever need to rebuild the belt, but it's nice that the buckle can be recycled.
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “New to CHL?”