Drinking while "Carrying"

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 10

Re: Drinking while "Carrying"

Post by nightmare69 »

jbarn wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:If the officer has reasonable suspicion to believe you are impaired while carrying you will be taking a ride to the county jail. You don't have to be legally intoxicated to be impaired. What I do is if I plan on having more than 1 drink, I go to my truck and disarm.
Yes, you do have to be legally Intoxicated to he impaired. One must be the legal definition of intoxication to be arrested.

And he needs probable cause. A much higher standard than reasonable suspicion.
I've heard different when from out local TABC agent. He said if someone is clearly impaired, such as stumbling, sluring speech, even if he blows a .06 he can be arrested. I've drank 2 beers on an empty stomach and felt like I drank a 12 pack.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Oldgringo »

jbarn wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:If the officer has reasonable suspicion to believe you are impaired while carrying you will be taking a ride to the county jail. You don't have to be legally intoxicated to be impaired. What I do is if I plan on having more than 1 drink, I go to my truck and disarm.
Yes, you do have to be legally Intoxicated to he impaired. One must be the legal definition of intoxication to be arrested.

:roll:

Keith B
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Keith B »

nightmare69 wrote:
jbarn wrote:

I've heard different when from out local TABC agent. He said if someone is clearly impaired, such as stumbling, sluring speech, even if he blows a .06 he can be arrested. I've drank 2 beers on an empty stomach and felt like I drank a 12 pack.
That's probable cause, not reasonable suspicion. Reasonable suspicion would be you smell alcohol, but do not see any signs of impairment.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

jbarn
Posts in topic: 13

Post by jbarn »

nightmare69 wrote:
jbarn wrote:

I never wrote anything about a blood alcohol content. There are two definitions of intoxication, and only one is .08% BAC. A person is legally intoxicated if he meets either definition.
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

Oldgringo wrote:
jbarn wrote:

That's intelligent. Care to actually post something?
Texas CHL Instructor

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

nightmare wrote:
jbarn wrote:
In theory yes but I think mi tocayo is right in practice. Some bullies will make their victims take a ride to jail because of their personal prejudices even when there's no crime. Sometimes they throw in a free taser ride.

Sure, if a cop decides he hates your haircut he will tase you and take you to jail.
Texas CHL Instructor

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

I gotcha. I have yet to go through SFST. I doubt I will ever have any trouble out of a CHL holder anyway. I'm out there to catch the real criminals.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

jbarn wrote:
nightmare wrote:
jbarn wrote:
In theory yes but I think mi tocayo is right in practice. Some bullies will make their victims take a ride to jail because of their personal prejudices even when there's no crime. Sometimes they throw in a free taser ride.

Sure, if a cop decides he hates your haircut he will tase you and take you to jail.
Don't forget getting sprayed with OC and getting beat with the Asp
5/20-Plastic in hand.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 8

Post by WildBill »

nightmare69 wrote:
jbarn wrote:
nightmare wrote:
jbarn wrote:

Don't forget getting sprayed with OC and getting beat with the Asp
It has happened.
NRA Endowment Member

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

I'm sure it has and will happen again. Just don't make the same mistake as the anti gunners and paint all LEOs with the same negative brush due to a few idiots.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

nightmare69 wrote:I'm sure it has and will happen again. Just don't make the same mistake as the anti gunners and paint all LEOs with the same negative brush due to a few idiots.
I haven't painted anyone with any broad brush. Some people think that is doesn't ever happen. I am just saying that it does happen. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

WildBill wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:I'm sure it has and will happen again. Just don't make the same mistake as the anti gunners and paint all LEOs with the same negative brush due to a few idiots.
I haven't painted anyone with any brush. :tiphat:
I'm not saying you are I've just noticed many people having a negative attitude towards cops seems to be the norm now a days. No one like them till you need them.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

nightmare69 wrote:
WildBill wrote:
I'm not saying you are I've just noticed many people having a negative attitude towards cops seems to be the norm now a days. No one like them till you need them.
There has always been negative attitudes towards cops. Perhaps it is "human nature" to remember negative experiences rather than the positive. Even though these situations aren't the norm they do happen. To deny they don't sometimes happen is ludicrous.
NRA Endowment Member

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

WildBill wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:
WildBill wrote:
There has always been negative attitudes towards cops. Even though these situations aren't the norm they do happen. To deny they don't sometimes happen is ludicrous.
I'm not denying they have, and will happen again. Those bad cops tend to get dealt with and arrested/fired quick. I've always had a positive outlook on life and been a generally happy person. I hope dealing with the scum of society and putting my life on the line for people that hate my guts don't affect me too much. Dear Lord give me strength. Other than that it's a great job and you get to do some really cool ninja stuff.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Oldgringo »

jbarn wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:
jbarn wrote:

That's intelligent. Care to actually post something?
How's this?
Postby jbarn » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:05 pm
{snip}
There is no BAC level required for DWI. As a cop, I got a conviction on a guy who blew zero.

Return to “New to CHL?”