51% sign question

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
asbandr
Posts in topic: 4

51% sign question

Post by asbandr »

Yesterday my mother and I were checking into a hotel in north houston. It was a la quinta. As we walked in I noticed a red 51% sign on the wall immediately to the right after walking in. It had the Spanish version underneath it and. Both looked like they had just been printed off a printer and pinned to the wall. I wasn't carrying as I'm still waiting on my plastic but I'm trying to get into the habit of automatically looking for signs. The hotel does have a bar in the lobby (though there was no one there and it was closed), but to my understanding, it was part of the hotel, which would mean that surely it does not contribute more than half of the businesses sales. So was the sign legal?
I'm a mom who demands action. Single action, double action, single/double action. I'm an equal action shooter.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are safe. - Luke 11:21

Keith B
Posts in topic: 3

Re: 51% sign question

Post by Keith B »

asbandr wrote:Yesterday my mother and I were checking into a hotel in north houston. It was a la quinta. As we walked in I noticed a red 51% sign on the wall immediately to the right after walking in. It had the Spanish version underneath it and. Both looked like they had just been printed off a printer and pinned to the wall. I wasn't carrying as I'm still waiting on my plastic but I'm trying to get into the habit of automatically looking for signs. The hotel does have a bar in the lobby (though there was no one there and it was closed), but to my understanding, it was part of the hotel, which would mean that surely it does not contribute more than half of the businesses sales. So was the sign legal?
It possibly could be. If the bar is managed by a different entity than the hotel then they could be holding the liquor license. If that is all they do at the hotel is sell liquor, then they could be 51%.

If you can tell me the address or approximate location of the La Quinta we can look it up in the TABC database.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

troglodyte
Posts in topic: 1

Post by troglodyte »

You can look up the correct sign requirements at
http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/PublicInquiry/Status.aspx

If this is the right La Quinta. There is no other entity listed in the TABC at that address.

License #: MB826490
Trade Name: LA QUINTA INN & SUITES
Owner: WILLOWBROOK LODGING GROUP LLC
Location Address:
8383 FM 1960 WEST
HOUSTON , TX 77070
Mailing Address:
22790 HWY 59 NORTH
KINGWOOD , TX 77339
County: Harris Orig. Issue Date: 12/10/2012
Wine Percent:
Location Phone No.: 281-359-6611
Subordinates: LB
Related To: Gun Sign: BLUE

Topic author
asbandr

Post by asbandr »

Yes, that was the correct one. So what does all this info mean then?
I'm a mom who demands action. Single action, double action, single/double action. I'm an equal action shooter.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are safe. - Luke 11:21

howdy

Post by howdy »

This is the web site that they use:
http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/PublicInquiry/Status.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It will tell you what kind of license an establishment has. "Blue" means they SHOULD have the "unlicensed possession of a weapon" sign. That sign means just what it says. Since you will have your license, you are good to carry in these places. You will see these in grocery stores, liquor stores, etc....anyplace that sells alchohol and makes less than 51% of their income from ON PREMISES CONSUMPTION from this alchohol. The sign is physically blue, hence the name. If the license is RED, then the establishment makes more than 51% of their income from ON PREMISES CONSUMPTION alchohol sales (bar) and you can't carry there. The sign is physically red, hence the name. I will let someone who types faster than me try to explain what a 51% sign in a place like LaQuinta means.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Topic author
asbandr

Post by asbandr »

[quote="howdy"I will let someone who types faster than me try to explain what a 51% sign in a place like LaQuinta means.[/quote]

So based on your answer and the fact they have a blue sign listed on the tabc site, a chl holder can carry there? Would that mean the red 51% sign is wrongly posted?

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

asbandr wrote:
howdy wrote:I will let someone who types faster than me try to explain what a 51% sign in a place like LaQuinta means.
So based on your answer and the fact they have a blue sign listed on the tabc site, a chl holder can carry there? Would that mean the red 51% sign is wrongly posted?
Yes, they have an incorrect sign posted. They should have the blue 'Unlicensed possession' sign. A CHL holder has to abide by the actual license and not the signs, so in this case it would be legal to carry there even with the wrong sign.

You can contact the Houston district office for TABC and let them know the location has the wrong sign posted for their bar. TABC will contact them and get the issue fixed.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Steamboat

Post by Steamboat »

I recently saw the Red 51% sign behind the bar at Gruene Hall. According to the website, it should be blue.
"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." — Will Rogers

Topic author
asbandr

Post by asbandr »

So if the sign is posted incorrectly, I know we should report it to tabc, but can we carry? Or do we have to wait til it's fixed?

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

asbandr wrote:So if the sign is posted incorrectly, I know we should report it to tabc, but can we carry? Or do we have to wait til it's fixed?
You can carry and not worry about being successfully prosecuted. If you were spotted and an LEO got a call, I don't think you're going to get to argue that the sign is the wrong color.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

asbandr wrote:So if the sign is posted incorrectly, I know we should report it to tabc, but can we carry? Or do we have to wait til it's fixed?
The only thing that legally matters is the license type. So, if the establishment is really a blue location, then legally you can carry even if they have a 51% sign posted incorrectly. However, if you are found you might have some 'splainn' to do why you are in a place with a 51% sign.

Also, if a place IS a 51% location and doesn't have a sign, you legally CANNOT carry there. Hove, you will have a defense to prosecution if they don't have the sign posted and you can tell th story to the Judge.
Keith

Return to “New to CHL?”