SewTexas
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Driving While Carrying

Post by SewTexas »

sbrawley wrote:
jbarn wrote:
SewTexas wrote:
jbarn wrote:
SewTexas wrote:I can't imagine trying to twist my arm around to that position in a car if it were needed...
I imagine he is left handed

I understand that, but unless you're driving in the UK, you have a door right there, and 8 o'clock is behind you, if you're seated in your car and you need your gun for...say a road rage incident, you would need to battle not only the seatbelt and your shirt, but your elbow crashing into the door.
I have seen left handed people in classes who don't have that problem. :headscratch I am not left handed, so :anamatedbanana
The door doesn't really interfere with my draw, and in a worse case scenario I could always draw with my right hand since the grip points to my right side. As with most left handers, I've learned to adapt and figure out the best methods to overcome a right handed world. On a positive note, I am becoming more comfortable carrying in public the more I do it. Also, the wife knows I have my CHL, but she doesn't know that I've been carrying at home and while we're out :evil2: so I must be concealing correctly. :woohoo

cool! maybe you've got more space in your car than I do in mine, I don't see how I could do it in mine, but I'm a righty so I don't have to worry about it. I do on my left, but it's as a cross-draw, at about 10:00, up front, not behind. so it's in front of the bulk of the seat and seat-belt.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

kg5ie
Posts in topic: 1

Post by kg5ie »

SewTexas wrote:
sbrawley wrote:
jbarn wrote:
SewTexas wrote:
jbarn wrote:
SewTexas wrote:I can't imagine trying to twist my arm around to that position in a car if it were needed...
I imagine he is left handed

I understand that, but unless you're driving in the UK, you have a door right there, and 8 o'clock is behind you, if you're seated in your car and you need your gun for...say a road rage incident, you would need to battle not only the seatbelt and your shirt, but your elbow crashing into the door.
I have seen left handed people in classes who don't have that problem. :headscratch I am not left handed, so :anamatedbanana
The door doesn't really interfere with my draw, and in a worse case scenario I could always draw with my right hand since the grip points to my right side. As with most left handers, I've learned to adapt and figure out the best methods to overcome a right handed world. On a positive note, I am becoming more comfortable carrying in public the more I do it. Also, the wife knows I have my CHL, but she doesn't know that I've been carrying at home and while we're out :evil2: so I must be concealing correctly. :woohoo

cool! maybe you've got more space in your car than I do in mine, I don't see how I could do it in mine, but I'm a righty so I don't have to wOorry about it. I do on my left, but it's as a cross-draw, at about 10:00, up front, not behind. so it's in front of the bulk of the seat and seat-belt.
On a long pleasure drive I also carry cross-draw at about 9 or 10. Keeps the shoulder belt out of play. If you practice, you can keep your left hand on the wheel, reach over and have your weapon aimed at the door without anyone outside the vehicle seeing you do it. If some BG approaches, you are good to go in an instant...even through the door.

Sorry about you left handers, just need some "off hand" practice I guess. ;-)
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I like paddle holsters because I can move it forward or back in situations like walking or sitting. In your case, being a lefty, may actually help you as long as the door doesn't interfere with your draw. A a righty, I like to move the holster up to the 3 o'clock position when siting in my car, but the seat belt is slightly in the way. As a lefty, you wouldn't have that problem and should have a clearer path to your gun if you had it in the 9 o'clock position while driving.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

PaJ

Post by PaJ »

In the car, I find the most comfortable thing to do is place my weapon under my left leg. It's easily accessible, easy to aim either direction and comfortable. When exiting the car, it can be reholstered in an IWB, an no one is any wiser. All of this assumes you are wearing an untucked shirt and have an IWB. Saw it on a youtube video and thought it was excellent - the the price is right since there's no additional holster or hardware to buy.

Outside of that, I use a Kangaroo Carry. It makes concealment easy and gives me access to the weapon in almost any circumstance. It's pretty comfortable as well, though a little warm at times. I often forget I'm wearing it.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

sbrawley wrote:I guess I could consider today my first time to carry in public, ( I went out the other day but it was to my wife's work and back home and I was constantly worried I was printing due to my grip protruding through my shirt). Today, I went to the airport to pick up my MIL, the Vet to get our new puppy checked out, and then to pick up dinner. I don't think I have ever been so self conscious ever in my life, but I had a better carry experience than before due to my grip wasn't as noticeable as before, possibly due to a thicker shirt. :clapping: :coolgleamA: The biggest issue I had today was driving while carrying. I have found carrying at the 8 o clock position to be most comfortable, but not while driving. Does anyone else have this problem? It's tolerable for short drives, but if I'm going on a long road trip, I may have to consider concealing inside the vehicle rather than on me. :headscratch
You are left-handed, I take it? Note the "8:00 o'clock" position below:

I am also left handed, and have the same comfort issues, compounded by a very bad back. I don't worry about the accessibility most of the time. But, when I do worry, I sometimes use a fanny pack, rotated over toward my right in the "cross-draw" position. Sometimes I use a Maxpedition Fatboy-S Versapack. Sometimes I use a Safepacker from The Wilderness. I've linked the last two product names for you to their pages where you can buy them.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Wabbit69

Post by Wabbit69 »

I carry AIWB at 1:30, with spare mag pouch at 10:30. After fastening seat belt, I make sure my cover garment is clear of the seat-belt. No problem with access, comfort, and no need to fiddle with the kit upon exiting the vehicle.

Thomas Hagemeier

Post by Thomas Hagemeier »

I seem to find 4:30-5:00 my favorite position. It doesn't interfere with my seatbelt (like 3:00 would), seems to be the least visible under my shirts and also is in the perfect spot if I have a demand given to me to reach for my wallet.
Believer in God, happily married,
Love dogs, patriot, Lifetime NRA,
And Keyboard Rambo

OnceFired

Post by OnceFired »

I am right-handed, and carry at about the 4:30 position. Full size PX4 Storm 9mm.

While in the car I am far more aware of my pistol, but for everyday driving it isn't a big deal. If I was going to be in my car for hours at a stretch, then I might switch to something else like an in-car mount. There is no question I would be slower to produce the firearm if needed from that position, but with the IWB there is no chance of anyone targeting my car while I'm not in it, and that is a far more likely scenario to avoid.

OF
Video games are an escape from reality. Gun ownership is for when you can't.
CHL - 07/03/12 submitted, 09/07/12 received
Texas Security Guard Jobs

Charlies.Contingency
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charlies.Contingency »

I've found for driving, (with a loose unbuttoned over shirt) my don hum leather holster has a real fat leather paddle, so I unsnap my retention loop from my belt, and move my holster from my 3 or 4 to my 10. With a loose shirt covering it, and riding in either a diesel truck or suburban, nobody has a clue, and I start off pointing in the right direction. The only downside I really notice is having to pass over my left arm if I intend to shoot out the window. My my 2nd Gen Glock has the best safety in the world.... A well trained finger that stays out of the whole until it's cupcake time. :fire

I shoot left handed rifle and shotgun, but right handgun. Carrying in the car left handed is a pretty major issue. I can't draw or shoot out the driver window without darn near having to stick the gun out the window. :/ learn to be ambidextrous! That's how I get over that problem. :anamatedbanana
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

sbrawley wrote:After some trial and error, I think I have found my carry position for driving and out in public. I now have my holster at 9 o clock and I slightly changed the way I dress to make concealing easier also. Thanks everyone for the input given. It has really been helpful.

Getting in on this late. That is what I do if I will be driving for a while. For short drives, I keep it closer to the 8:00 position. It's not as convenient drawing in the car for the lefty but can be done adequately with some practice. However, I also keep a snubnosed revolver in my console that I can access with my right hand.

Oh the burden of being left-handed in a right-handed world. Glad you figured it out.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Setxjeff

Post by Setxjeff »

On long road trips I use a shoulder holster, around town trips leather paddle OWB and when I have to unarm and leave gun in truck at Dr.s office , hospital, blood work ect. I have found a Fobus slip on paddle to be the best.
Being 6'4" and 260 I fill up whatever seat I am in so it takes a bit of finagling to be comfortable and not have my gun trapped,Thats when shoulder holster with an extra long light weight denim vest is my travel attire.
TSRA Member
M1 Garand Collectors Association

Charlies.Contingency

Post by Charlies.Contingency »

Setxjeff wrote:On long road trips I use a shoulder holster, around town trips leather paddle OWB and when I have to unarm and leave gun in truck at Dr.s office , hospital, blood work ect. I have found a Fobus slip on paddle to be the best.
Being 6'4" and 260 I fill up whatever seat I am in so it takes a bit of finagling to be comfortable and not have my gun trapped,Thats when shoulder holster with an extra long light weight denim vest is my travel attire.
I would also like to think that your size is enough to ward 95% of would be attackers! :leaving

Where can you find a denim vest now days?
(A bit off topic, but somebody had to say it!)
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

Return to “New to CHL?”