Driving While Carrying

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Driving While Carrying

Post by Vol Texan »

Remember, your weapon is meant to be comforting, not comfortable...but it is possible to make it more comfortable, if you try.

A good holster on a good belt makes all the difference when walking around, but in the car, it is different, of course. I assume you're left-handed by the fact that you carry at 8:00, so that would be the same as me carrying right handed at 4:00, and I cannot imagine that would be comfortable. Perhaps you can slide it up to 9:00 for the drive?

I don't recommend carrying off-body, even in the relative security of your car. If you find yourself in a car-jacking situation, and you are forced to get out against your will, you'd prefer to have it with you, I'm sure!
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 3

Post by SewTexas »

I can't imagine trying to twist my arm around to that position in a car if it were needed...
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pawpaw »

On long drives, carrying in a fanny pack really shines. You can move it around as necessary for comfort and still keep your weapon easily accessible. Who cares what anyone thinks when you get out of the car?
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

SewTexas wrote:I can't imagine trying to twist my arm around to that position in a car if it were needed...
I imagine he is left handed
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

NordicTexan

Post by NordicTexan »

I went to a "kangaroo Holster" for drives when I carried my full size Springfield XDM. I switched to a single stack XDS, and got more used to carrying, and went back to IWB with it.

I will say the Kangaroo holsters are very nice if you are going any distance in the car.
NRA,
Sons of the American Revolution
Go Vandy

RetNavy

Post by RetNavy »

for me while driving depends on the holster and body position.. I have two IWB holsters and for any length of time in the car I use the Supertuck at 4:30... most comfortable for me... drove 5 hrs with my to Missouri and back and hardly noticed it... OWB's are more uncomfortable to me since they hold the weapon out from my side more than IWB. It will probably take a lot time and practice (and patience) to find the best carry position for driving. I agree with one of the previous poster.. better keep your weapon on you than hidden in the vehicle.
"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward. Freedom will be defended!"
-President George W. Bush, September 11, 2001

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 3

Post by SewTexas »

jbarn wrote:
SewTexas wrote:I can't imagine trying to twist my arm around to that position in a car if it were needed...

I understand that, but unless you're driving in the UK, you have a door right there, and 8 o'clock is behind you, if you're seated in your car and you need your gun for...say a road rage incident, you would need to battle not only the seatbelt and your shirt, but your elbow crashing into the door.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

budroux2w

Post by budroux2w »

RetNavy wrote:for me while driving depends on the holster and body position.. I have two IWB holsters and for any length of time in the car I use the Supertuck at 4:30... most comfortable for me... drove 5 hrs with my to Missouri and back and hardly noticed it... OWB's are more uncomfortable to me since they hold the weapon out from my side more than IWB. It will probably take a lot time and practice (and patience) to find the best carry position for driving. I agree with one of the previous poster.. better keep your weapon on you than hidden in the vehicle.
:iagree: I drove about 8 hours down to Alpine a few months ago, had it in my supertuck all day at about 3:30
NRA Life Member

Jaguar

Post by Jaguar »

When I drive all day, I carry the same as all the rest of the time, 4 - 4:30 in a Thies IWB holster. My seat doesn't wrap around much, and there is space between the seat belt and seat where I can access it like I am reaching for a wallet - if needed. I've driven over 10 hours in one day like this and it didn't bother me; but it all hinges on the design of the holster, size of gun, and design of the vehicle as to what will work and what doesn't. Just have to keep trying stuff out until you find what works for you.
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Take the firearm out and put it out of sight in your vehicle. Put it somewhere you can get to it in an instant. If I have one on my body I have to unbuckle and become a contortionist to get my gun out in an emergency.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Carzan

Post by Carzan »

Good solution is grass bur leather works mountable holster. A little pricy but keeps pistol secure, concealed AND accessible.
https://www.grassburr.com/catalog/mount ... side-mount" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Badges!?!?, We don't need no stinkin Badges!!!

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

SewTexas wrote:
jbarn wrote:

I understand that, but unless you're driving in the UK, you have a door right there, and 8 o'clock is behind you, if you're seated in your car and you need your gun for...say a road rage incident, you would need to battle not only the seatbelt and your shirt, but your elbow crashing into the door.
I have seen left handed people in classes who don't have that problem. :headscratch I am not left handed, so :anamatedbanana
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

Return to “New to CHL?”