Chl application question help!

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Jglasenapp
Posts in topic: 3

Chl application question help!

Post by Jglasenapp »

I am wanting to apply to take the chl course and get my license. My question is that in 2007 when I was 19 and stupid I was arrested for possesion of marijuana and was charged with a class b misdemeanor. I was on probation and took care of everything I was ordered to and let off early. I was also arrested with minor in consumption of alcohol and arrested as well. I read something about a 10 year rule and have not had any trouble since then and have had no trouble withe law except for a couple speeding tickets . Will this cause the denial of my application?

I am brand new on here and have owned weapons for years now. I have wanted to get my chl for quite sometime but have weary because of this. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Chl application question help!

Post by carlson1 »

Welcome to the Forum!

I do not know the exact answer, but we have plenty people who are instructors and well versed in the law. They will get you the correct answer.

Hang around here because you will learn plenty on our great Forum.

Topic author
Jglasenapp

Post by Jglasenapp »

Thank you! I look forward to learning as much as I can. I have been searching the forum and can't find a direct answer just yet. I have found similar but everyone's situation is different.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Our legal eagles will show up later tonight or in the morning. Some may actually post the law for you which is always a help.

infoman
Posts in topic: 1

Post by infoman »

Most likely you would be denied, just not 100% on this one. I know if someone had 2 DWI's within 10 years they would definitely be denied.

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

Minor in Consumption is a Class C Misdemeanor, and does not count

Your Class B Misdemeanor conviction date needs to be more than 5 years ago. Probation dates don't matter.

So, if you are more than 5 years past the court date, and have nothing else to report, you should be good to go.

Welcome to the forum.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Carzan

Post by Carzan »

Crossfire wrote:Minor in Consumption is a Class C Misdemeanor, and does not count

Your Class B Misdemeanor conviction date needs to be more than 5 years ago. Probation dates don't matter.

So, if you are more than 5 years past the court date, and have nothing else to report, you should be good to go.

Welcome to the forum.

:iagree:

Welcome to the forum! Lots of great people here!
Badges!?!?, We don't need no stinkin Badges!!!

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

Crossfire wrote:Minor in Consumption is a Class C Misdemeanor, and does not count

Welcome to the forum.
Nail, head. He hit it. :cheers2:
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

jbarn wrote:

Welcome to the forum.
That's 'She' hit it.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

jmra

Post by jmra »

Keith B wrote:
jbarn wrote:

Welcome to the forum.
That's 'She' hit it.
Say that fast 10 times. :mrgreen:
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
Jglasenapp

Post by Jglasenapp »

Awesome! I appreciate the help! Looks like I will be getting my CHL and joining the club with you fine gentleman! On my application do I still report the arrest or write no because it is more than 5 years? :txflag:

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

Keith B wrote:
jbarn wrote:

Welcome to the forum.
That's 'She' hit it.
Aaaaaaa ummmmmmmmm, just seeing if you were paying attention? :biggrinjester:
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

JP171
Banned

Post by JP171 »

Jglasenapp wrote:Awesome! I appreciate the help! Looks like I will be getting my CHL and joining the club with you fine gentleman! On my application do I still report the arrest or write no because it is more than 5 years? :txflag:

you MUST report the arrest and conviction, get a certified copy from the county clerk and send it with your criminal history questionnaire to DPS

Return to “New to CHL?”