Post office

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Brandon33
Posts in topic: 1

Post office

Post by Brandon33 »

So is it still illegal to have your gun in your car while you go into the post office? :confused5

jmra
Posts in topic: 10

Re: Post office

Post by jmra »

Depends on where you park
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Yes, it is illegal to have your gun on your person when you are inside the post office buildiing.

Yes, it is illegal to have any firearm in your car when you are parked on USPS property.

To be fully legal when entering a post office you must leave your gun(s) in your vehicle,
and park your vehicle in a place other than the USPS parking lot, then you may enter the USPS building.

I'm unsure about going into a USPS-licensed site that is inside a grocery store, for example.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

And if you have a gun on USPS property or inside the Post Office, you are risking a $50 fine and "up to" 30 days in jail.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

GlockDude26

Post by GlockDude26 »

it's easy use fedex, ups, or any of the many other carrier services that don't have a 30.06 sign and you can carry away. and they wonder why the post office is failing......
"Our houses are protected by the Good Lord and a gun, you might em both if you show up here not welcome son" Josh Thompson- Way out here (best song ever) "eventually all citizens will become criminals with enough legislation....."

JCole
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JCole »

Fedex and UPS Service Centers all have 30.06 signs as far as I know. The individual UPS Stores and Fedex Office locations may not.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

I've been using a local USPS service location inside my local hardware store for the past year or so. No worries about gun free zones in there. And as a bonus, USPS has improved their tracking/reporting dramatically over the past year. For (typically) less than half the cost of FedEx, USPS 2-day flat rate shipping has been excellent. Double-bonus that I don't have to disarm and I don't have to deal with USPS employee entitlement attitudes doing business with them through a 3rd party.

Win-win-win.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Paul's Shield

Post by Paul's Shield »

If I have to use USPS, I do leave mine in the vehicle and parked on the street right in front of the building but not in the parking lot, but as far as I know, No USPS parking lot has metal/gun detectors.
"Just put that hammer down and give it h3ll" - Jerry Reid

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

JCole wrote:Fedex and UPS Service Centers all have 30.06 signs as far as I know. The individual UPS Stores and Fedex Office locations may not.
But at least you can park in their parking lot and leave the gun in the car (assuming the lot is not also 30.06ed, which is rare). At a Post Office, you can't even use the drive-thru mailbox w/o being in violation.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

jmra

Post by jmra »

Paul's Shield wrote:If I have to use USPS, I do leave mine in the vehicle and parked on the street right in front of the building but not in the parking lot, but as far as I know, No USPS parking lot has metal/gun detectors.
:iagree:
Another one of those pretty much unenforceable laws.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

jmra

Post by jmra »

oohrah wrote:
JCole wrote:Fedex and UPS Service Centers all have 30.06 signs as far as I know. The individual UPS Stores and Fedex Office locations may not.
But at least you can park in their parking lot and leave the gun in the car (assuming the lot is not also 30.06ed, which is rare). At a Post Office, you can't even use the drive-thru mailbox w/o being in violation.
Even if the parking lot is posted 30.06 you would be carrying under MPA instead of CHL. As long as the gun stays in the car there is no issue.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

JCole

Post by JCole »

jmra wrote:
oohrah wrote:
Even if the parking lot is posted 30.06 you would be carrying under MPA instead of CHL. As long as the gun stays in the car there is no issue.
Those are good points.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Yes, thanks jmra, I forgot about MPA.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

jsenner

Post by jsenner »

A Colorado court ruled last year that the firearms ban in parking lots was unconstitutional. Does anyone know if this went any further to other states or to a change in post office policy?

http://bearingarms.com/federal-court-wi ... king-lots/

funny: I read the review of this case on one of the liberal gun-terror websites, they said crazy stuff like, "guns can now be within a few feet of the post office, putting you and everyone else in grave danger" - good grief.

jmra

Post by jmra »

jsenner wrote:A Colorado court ruled last year that the firearms ban in parking lots was unconstitutional. Does anyone know if this went any further to other states or to a change in post office policy?

http://bearingarms.com/federal-court-wi ... king-lots/

funny: I read the review of this case on one of the liberal gun-terror websites, they said crazy stuff like, "guns can now be within a few feet of the post office, putting you and everyone else in grave danger" - good grief.
I don't think that is a correct interpretation of the ruling. IIRC, the argument and ruling were both very narrow and were based on conditions very specific to the individual and that location. I don't believe the ruling impacted anything beyond that particular case.
This is the decision:
"ORDERED, that the Defendants take such action as is necessary to permit Tab Bonidy to use the public parking lot adjacent to the Avon Post Office Building with a firearm authorized by his Concealed Carry Permit secured in his car in a reasonably prescribed manner"
I'm not sure that means we can all legally leave our guns in the car at the post office. What it may mean is the USPS issues the plaintiff a permit/written authorization that fulfills the order (this option is actually mentioned in the decision).
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Return to “New to CHL?”