Completed my Wally walk

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Busykngt
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Completed my Wally walk

Post by Busykngt »

chlhouston wrote:Anyone know if I can carry in the rest stops in those states?
Probably a little too late concerning your travel plans to the Volunteer state but
I found this website helpful in trying to decode various state laws:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Come this Fall, I'll be making a trip from Big D to the Bluegrass state and while I
don't plan on getting a speeding ticket, I found it interesting that the Natural
state is a "must inform" state (as is the Lone Star state) but TN & KY are not.

Guess that may raise the question if it's a smart thing to do [inform], whether it's
technically required or not? Of course, all the GOA, NRA Life member and Molan
Labe bumper stickers might be a "clue", huh? :smilelol5:

Topic author
chlhouston
Posts in topic: 3

Post by chlhouston »

I would recommend for your safety to inform upon stop. I did complete a round about circuit from Texas through Arkanas to Tennessee to Kentucky to Missouri to Oklahoma and back to Houston through Dallas. I didn't have an issue. Now Tennessee and Kentucky are both open carry atleast with a license, but I did not open carry. Now at the end of Aug I will be going to PA for a Patriot weekend. I will open carry there.

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

chlhouston wrote:I would recommend for your safety to inform upon stop. I did complete a round about circuit from Texas through Arkanas to Tennessee to Kentucky to Missouri to Oklahoma and back to Houston through Dallas. I didn't have an issue. Now Tennessee and Kentucky are both open carry atleast with a license, but I did not open carry. Now at the end of Aug I will be going to PA for a Patriot weekend. I will open carry there.
I also travel to Tennessee and the Carolinas, and I agree with you on informing. It never hurts to let the officer know, and I believe it actually helps, even if not required.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Undertaker57

Post by Undertaker57 »

Finally did my wally walk. Got my chl in the mail yesterday, but I didn't get home until 10 PM from work so I had to wait until after work today. Ordered an IWB holster but it hasn't come in yet. However, I wear a suit to work and my carry pistol is a Polish P64 - it actually slides nicely into my suit pants pocket. So after work I stopped at Brookshire Brothers (had to get groceries and its on my way home) and put the gun in my pocket. Worked like a charm but I am certainly ready to get the holster in the mail to feel more secure. Great experience, and like others on the forum, I could really feel a heightened sense of situational awareness.
God bless the Republic of Texas . . . and football!

jmra

Post by jmra »

Undertaker57 wrote:Finally did my wally walk. Got my chl in the mail yesterday, but I didn't get home until 10 PM from work so I had to wait until after work today. Ordered an IWB holster but it hasn't come in yet. However, I wear a suit to work and my carry pistol is a Polish P64 - it actually slides nicely into my suit pants pocket. So after work I stopped at Brookshire Brothers (had to get groceries and its on my way home) and put the gun in my pocket. Worked like a charm but I am certainly ready to get the holster in the mail to feel more secure. Great experience, and like others on the forum, I could really feel a heightened sense of situational awareness.
Congrats
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

aaangel

Post by aaangel »

pictures .... or it didn't happen :rules:

jk.....congrats!
'got to Texas ASAIC.

Thomas Hagemeier

Post by Thomas Hagemeier »

Just did mywally walk. I must say it felt awkward, walking through a store knowing I had a loaded gun with me. Will take some getting use to but so far all my public experiences wearing the gun today has been positive. I distinctly noticed an awareness of my actions and surroundings and realized that the presence of my pistol was encouraging me to think and act even more responsibly than otherwise.

God bless Texas. :patriot:
Believer in God, happily married,
Love dogs, patriot, Lifetime NRA,
And Keyboard Rambo

Return to “New to CHL?”