The Ultimate Test (Of Concealment)

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Screamin Jimmy
Posts in topic: 1

The Ultimate Test (Of Concealment)

Post by Screamin Jimmy »

I’ve been carrying just over three weeks and I’ve done the Wally Walk, among others. Today I went down to the local convenience store carrying my Bersa Thunder .380 in a Blackhawk IWB holster clipped onto my athletic shorts and covered by a one-size-too-big t-shirt. As luck would have it I parked right next to a police car. I walked right past the cops as they were getting their snacks inside. They ended up in line in front of me and were already back in their car when I came out. I walked right past the front of their car carrying a bag of ice in one hand and digging around for my keys with the other, with my gun side toward them. They never saw the .380 under my t-shirt (if they did, they certainly didn’t say anything), so I feel like I just passed the ultimate concealment test!

By the way, today was the first time I’ve carried with athletic shorts. I found that if I tie the drawstring tight enough everything rides just fine without a belt. Obviously that won’t work for everyone or in every situation but I was surprised at how solid it was.

James
4-26-14 class, 5-5-14 prints, 5-6-14 mailed, 7-10-14 PLASTIC!

johncanfield

Re: The Ultimate Test (Of Concealment)

Post by johncanfield »

Those mouse guns are really easy to conceal, I am always amazed at dear wife's Sig P238 - she'll dress and say "can you spot the gun?" Nope :thumbs2: . Glad you had a good carry experience.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

birdman253

Post by birdman253 »

Seeing this thread, made me think of an experience this week. I stopped at a Chinese "fast-food" place for lunch. They were very busy, and in line a couple of people in front of me were two police officers. After going through the line, and getting my meal, I found that the only open seat in the entire dining area was at one of the sit-down counters. It was also next to the two police officers. I simply walked over, spoke to the officers, and asked if the open seat was taken. They said certainly, and to take a seat. We proceeded to eat our lunch, while having a nice conversation about football, and the upcoming season.

I didn't show my ID, or my CHL. It was a casual interaction, and you are not required to wave a flag, shoot off a flare, etc., just because you have contact with a LEO. Did they "make" me, and know I was carrying? I doubt it, but who knows. And who cares? If you are legal, no need to worry, or for that matter, even think about it.

I decided to post this in the hope that it would help those that are just starting to carry to realize that just because you in contact with a LEO, it does not mean they are going to freak out, and there is no reason to be nervous. I remember having those feelings when I first started carrying, but if you conceal properly, and simply conduct yourself properly, there is nothing to fear!

JSThane
Banned

Post by JSThane »

It all depends on the cop / LEO in question. Some of us are just as oblivious as anyone else. Some of us... not so much. :coolgleamA:

I'd lay odds, however, that if they actually looked at you, and cared, at least one probably noticed. A concealed firearm, once the "tell-tales" are learned, can be fairly obvious to someone who actually keeps their eyes open.

Most of us don't even bat an eye. Heck, here in New Mexico, where we have open carry, it -still- doesn't cause comment, unless the cop in question thinks the gun being carried is particularly nice (one of the locals remembers me quite well, and I him, mainly because his EDC is a Kimber 10mm, and I noticed and complimented it. :biggrinjester: ) I've even seen people carrying openly in Wal-Mart, which, depending on who you ask, is a big no-no per NM law, because they sell alcohol; most of the local police, IF they say anything, will just remind the person "you really shouldn't have that visible here, mind covering it up?"

Unless it's Albuquerque or Santa Fe. You're on your own there.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Had lunch with two deputies today. Neither one mentioned it so I don't know if they noticed or not. They both know I have a CHL. I wasn't worried about it and apparently neither were they. :tiphat:
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Return to “New to CHL?”