High School Stadium - Band Event

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
bigity
Posts in topic: 4

High School Stadium - Band Event

Post by bigity »

Would a band 'parent performance' be considered a school sponsored event? Sure seems like it would be, it's not a contest or actual concert, but school hasn't even started yet.

More curious than anything, I am not planning to carry.
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"

Keith B
Posts in topic: 3

Re: High School Stadium - Band Event

Post by Keith B »

bigity wrote:Would a band 'parent performance' be considered a school sponsored event? Sure seems like it would be, it's not a contest or actual concert, but school hasn't even started yet.

More curious than anything, I am not planning to carry.
Depends on where it is. If in a school building, then yes it's off limits. Also if it is a school sponsored event, then off-limits. If it is just a meeting of the band booster parents at Chili's and not called by the school, then it would not be.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
bigity

Post by bigity »

Roger that, thanks.

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

From years of being a band parent, if its a parent performance its 99% chance its covered. Those were always school sponsored events, usually in a school venue.

Is this the one where they play their competition music before they start their competition series or the great one where they drag up parents to try to play for the amusement of everyone else? :tiphat:

Topic author
bigity

Post by bigity »

I think it's the 'we are so not ready for marching season we are only going to show the parents 5 minutes of our routine' deal.

They are already skipping the first football game - which is like 7 hours away so no complaints here!

Also, why do some high school bands actually march and some walk around and make shapes and letters? My school, we did 'corps' style marching like A&M and the military. That doesn't really seem to be around anymore.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

bigity wrote:I think it's the 'we are so not ready for marching season we are only going to show the parents 5 minutes of our routine' deal.

They are already skipping the first football game - which is like 7 hours away so no complaints here!

Also, why do some high school bands actually march and some walk around and make shapes and letters? My school, we did 'corps' style marching like A&M and the military. That doesn't really seem to be around anymore.
OK, I didn't understand originally what it was. Band performing is a school sponsored event = no carry. Also, stadium is gray area as a premise, so would not carry there either.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

bigity wrote: Also, why do some high school bands actually march and some walk around and make shapes and letters? My school, we did 'corps' style marching like A&M and the military. That doesn't really seem to be around anymore.
Drum & Bugle Corps style marching became popular in the early '80's and almost all bands that did competitions moved to that from the traditional marching styles to that. Bands have slowly moved away from drill-style marching to a performance and geometric shape style indicative of the early band styles (my style in the late 70's) but have kept some aspects like flag corps and drum lines.
Keith

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

Keith B wrote:
bigity wrote: Also, why do some high school bands actually march and some walk around and make shapes and letters? My school, we did 'corps' style marching like A&M and the military. That doesn't really seem to be around anymore.
Drum & Bugle Corps style marching became popular in the early '80's and almost all bands that did competitions moved to that from the traditional marching styles to that. Bands have slowly moved away from drill-style marching to a performance and geometric shape style indicative of the early band styles (my style in the late 70's) but have kept some aspects like flag corps and drum lines.

Indeed. Its all about the BOA. I liked the old drill styles myself.

I'll have to put in my required Cedar Park uber alles here.

7 hours eh? I remember trips like that. Nothing like leaving at 3Am and coming back at the same time the next morning. :cryin Plus every year they'd go off to another state.
Are they doing the "voluntary" practices yet?

Topic author
bigity

Post by bigity »

Yea already started.

Our teenager is not in band, but just the flag corps/color guard - words that clash with my military service and what the kids are doing :D

The school district moved to 6A and gets to play schools in places like El Paso and San Angelo. Long trips on Friday nights :)

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

bigity wrote:Yea already started.

Our teenager is not in band, but just the flag corps/color guard - words that clash with my military service and what the kids are doing :D

The school district moved to 6A and gets to play schools in places like El Paso and San Angelo. Long trips on Friday nights :)
Ayah color guard was a different thing in my day.
6A? reading it sounds like the old 5a schools no? Ayah long nights.
Let coffee be your friend.

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SQLGeek »

The UIL added another division making 6 man football 1A and moved everybody else up one. 4A became 5A, 5A became 6A and so on.
Psalm 91:2

Jim Beaux
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jim Beaux »

bigity wrote:I think it's the 'we are so not ready for marching season we are only going to show the parents 5 minutes of our routine' deal.

Cuz Aggies dont no how to spell so gud. :smilelol5:
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

Return to “New to CHL?”