CHL and Open?

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
benfitz2010
Posts in topic: 1

CHL and Open?

Post by benfitz2010 »

Ok so I have been told CHL holders can get in trouble if there guns show. I understand that being Texas isn't open carry for handguns but..... I am moving to either Alaska or Kansas where they honor a Texas CHL. So can I still get in trouble for it showing in plain view or printing if its and open carry state with no permit needed

Unicorn Rancher

Re: CHL and Open?

Post by Unicorn Rancher »

You are subject to Alaska law when you're in Alaska, and Texas law in Texas. Regardless of your State of residence.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Kansas is also an OC state and a license is not required to OC. If you are moving out of Texas and want to continue to CC and that state requires a license to do so, I would recommend getting a license from that state and possibly keeping your Texas license as a non-resident. I'm not intimate with the details on non-resident stuff, but think that would be okay.

The two main reasons I'm aware of to get a license from the state you live in is to not have any issues around schools due to the federal gun free zone stuff and if a class is required to become for familiar with that states laws.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

C-dub wrote:I would recommend getting a license from that state and possibly keeping your Texas license as a non-resident. I'm not intimate with the details on non-resident stuff, but think that would be okay.

The two main reasons I'm aware of to get a license from the state you live in is to not have any issues around schools due to the federal gun free zone stuff and if a class is required to become for familiar with that states laws.
:iagree:
If you move to Kansas, itwill be a good idea to get a Kansas License and training in Kansas concealed carry law.

As far as non-resident Texas is concerned, you are already required by DPS to notify them of any address change within 30 days of moving (cost is $25). When you notify of an out-of-state address, it simply automatically converts to a non-resident license.

If you think you may someday move back to Texas, then it would be a good idea to keep your non-resident Texas license current, renewing it when necessary. When you move back, the address change notification will change it back to a resident license. Since training is no longer required for renewals, you would not need to re-take training and apply as a new license if you keep your license current. :thumbs2:
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

benfitz2010 wrote:Ok so I have been told CHL holders can get in trouble if there guns show. I understand that being Texas isn't open carry for handguns but..... I am moving to either Alaska or Kansas where they honor a Texas CHL. So can I still get in trouble for it showing in plain view or printing if its and open carry state with no permit needed

You can "get in trouble" for carrying a long gun where it is legal.
You can "get in trouble" for openly carrying a handgun in a state (like Michigan) where it is legally allowed also.

If you're asking if you can be successfully prosecuted for openly carrying, that's a different question. You can get "in trouble" anywhere that a firearm isn't socially accepted.

victory

Post by victory »

cb1000rider wrote:You can "get in trouble" for carrying a long gun where it is legal.
You can "get in trouble" for openly carrying a handgun in a state (like Michigan) where it is legally allowed also.
You can "get in trouble" for "printing" in Texas or carrying places with invalid non-30.06 signs. You can also "get in trouble" for carrying a semiauto if your license says NSA, even though that was repealed.

However, TPC 46.035 doesn't restrict how or where you can carry a handgun in Kansas or Alaska. Those states have their own laws we have to follow there.

Return to “New to CHL?”