New Guy

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Emtifre09
Posts in topic: 7

New Guy

Post by Emtifre09 »

Hello everyone. My name is Ryan Simpson and I just recently got my CHL in the other day. Some of this stuff is a little vague to me and need some help. If a store has a "gun free zone" or "guns prohibited", does that apply to CHL holders? They would have to have the correct 30.06 sign up to ban licensed holders right?

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 3

Re: New Guy

Post by Scott B. »

Welcome.

You're right about the 30.06 sign. The 'gun buster' sign is something you can smirk at as you enter.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Topic author
Emtifre09

Post by Emtifre09 »

sweet. another thing. im tryin hard to conceal my full px4 storm 9mm. it seems like my shirts want to bulge out kinda giving an impression of a handle. i also dont want to make it too obvious im carrying a firearm when kneeling or bending over. any thoughts? failure to conceal is my biggest worry.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Scroll through the General Texas CHL Discussion section and this one and you'll see that it's a universal concern for all who start carrying. While it feels/looks like you're carrying a typewriter on your hip--to you--the vast majority of the general public will never twig to it.

A good gun belt is worth every penny. Are you using an inside the waistband holster, or outside?

Topic author
Emtifre09

Post by Emtifre09 »

inside. it looks like this: http://www.nrastore.com/nrastore/Produc ... p=SA%20334" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Taypo »

That link is for a belt slide. If you're using that, the gun should be outside your pants. Might explain the issue ;-)

joe817
Posts in topic: 1

Post by joe817 »

Taypo wrote:That link is for a belt slide. If you're using that, the gun should be outside your pants. Might explain the issue ;-)
That's what I thought when I first looked at the photos. On closer looking, it does have an IWB, clip. Kinda neat idea...a convertible holster. :lol:

Since it's worn inside the waistband, printing shouldn't be much of a problem. On the other hand, I would be concerned wearing it during the summer months with exposed skin making contact with the gun; the summer heat causing you to sweat; the sweat getting on metal parts of your gun and the ensuing rusting that will occur.

Just my $0.02 worth.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

Well damn, that's what I get for being a wiseass lol.

That Px4 is a pretty chunky gun. My wife has the .45 version and switched over to a Kimber so she'd have a carry pistol. If you're not using a great belt and a pair of pants one size up, you're probably gonna have trouble.

Topic author
Emtifre09

Post by Emtifre09 »

all my belts are pretty sturdy. all leather handmade. pants never fall just a tad tight since wranglers fit a little snug lol. we need to get open carry soon so i can not worry about rusting my gun out haha

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

Those little snap slides should be in everyone's collection...lol. I have two. One for full sized auto like my 1911 and another one for my compacts and revolvers (I need to get a third one so I can use one for the compact autos and one for the revolvers as they will bone to what you carry in them if you wear it much.)

I've started wearing what we always called wife-beaters under my clothes (my wife rolls her eyes when I call them that) to have something between me and my gun. I use the slides for a quick on and off holster as it takes more to put my Crossbreed on and take it off. But they are just a general use goto. You will be much more comfortable with a more substantial holster specific to the gun. You can get a pretty good one for under $50 usually (leather/kydex hybrid).

Welcome to the forum and carry on.
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

BTW, They have them in exotic skin for $25...

http://www.nrastore.com/nrastore/Produc ... p=SA%20313

Maybe if the requirement to conceal is removed...lol
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

Topic author
Emtifre09

Post by Emtifre09 »

if conceal gets removed im goin full tactical thigh holster lol

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Emtifre09 wrote:all my belts are pretty sturdy. all leather handmade. pants never fall just a tad tight since wranglers fit a little snug lol. we need to get open carry soon so i can not worry about rusting my gun out haha
"Pretty sturdy" does not a gun belt make. You actually want an actual gun belt.....you just don't know it yet. I'm not talking about a police-type 'Sam Brown' belt. They make gun belts that are designed for concealed carry that do not look overtly like a gun belt.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=30810#p357157" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

THAT is a gun belt.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

I really like 5.11's Double Duty TDU Belts, but they don't do that. What series is that? I can't find that stitching pattern on their site.

Whatever it is, I think Santa needs to bring me one, or two.

Topic author
Emtifre09

Post by Emtifre09 »

mine looks like that thickness and width just different color. would show a pic but everything i have the pixels are too big.

Return to “New to CHL?”