New To Texas CHL

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Blue5
Posts in topic: 10

New To Texas CHL

Post by Blue5 »

First off I would like to say hello. I am new to the site and CHL. Just got the notice today that I could update my address/ Information on the DPS website so I will assume that my plastic is in the mail. :anamatedbanana I have been checking out this forum for the last few weeks and decided to take the plunge and join. I am impressed with the information that is available and how everyone (for the most part) seems helpful.

To give everyone a timeline of my events:

CHL Class: 22 Jan 15
Submitted Paperwork/ Fingerprints: 13 Feb 15
Plastic in the Mail: 27 Feb 15

I live in Central Texas with my German wife of 11 years and our two kids; (DOGS!) Well, I say I live!!! I visit home when I am not on the oil rigs across America.

I just purchased a M&P Shield from one of our local stores here. (Well, its is on Back order) I guess that is what you get when you wait for the Veteran Discount.

I have been reading the threads on the Wally World Walk. Very interesting, I am sure me and the wife will make sure this happens as soon as I get home and do the mirror check a few hundred times.

I am sure that I will have 100+ questions as times goes on and be able to find the answers in previous threads before asking the same ones...... ie what holster, belt, ammo, IWB, OWB........

I look forward to continuing searching and putting my $0.02 when I can or feel necessary.

Thanks again for listing and see ya on the firing line. :fire
Death before dismount/ US Army 1999-2006
NRA Life Member
American Legion Life Member
Ducks Unlimited Member

casp625
Posts in topic: 1

Re: New To Texas CHL

Post by casp625 »

I personally use this holster: http://www.firearmholster.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for my shield and it's been quite comfy between the 4 and 5 o'clock position. Granted, I've only been using it for a couple weeks now. It can be used IWB or OWB

Topic author
Blue5

Post by Blue5 »

I had Bruce Kaase build me a Holster, he is also the one who was my CHL instructor. [/url]www.facebook.com/RedhawkHolsters[/url] I have yet to be home to try it on, play with it and feel how it is. I like the the idea of being at my 6 due to my choice of clothing.... Wranglers and Button up shirts. But I am sure I will go through many different holsters as time goes on. I have chosen to go with the M&P Shield, it felt right shooting it and seemed to be a great all around CCW.

I will defiantly look into those holsters as well, Thank you :tiphat: . I was looking into the Sticky holsters for summer when I wear more shorts. Time will Tell.
NRA Life Member
Ducks Unlimited Member

johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

Love my M&P 9c, it was my EDC until the weight just got to be too much for me. It has been flawless and your Shield should be the same great performer.

If you are like most of us, you will eventually wind up with a drawer full of holsters. Sometimes I carry IWB, OWB and when neither works for my clothes, I carry under the left arm in a Kangaroo Carry.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Hi Blue5, welcome to the forum & glad to have you with us! :tiphat: There's a wealth of information on this board and lots of great gals & guys to help answer your questions.

And thank you for your service to our country! :patriot:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
Blue5

Post by Blue5 »

johncanfield wrote:Love my M&P 9c, it was my EDC until the weight just got to be too much for me. It has been flawless and your Shield should be the same great performer.

If you are like most of us, you will eventually wind up with a drawer full of holsters. Sometimes I carry IWB, OWB and when neither works for my clothes, I carry under the left arm in a Kangaroo Carry.

John, Thank you, I have been waiting on my M&P for sometime now so I hope that it does not disappoint. I have chosen a IWB holster like I said due to my Clothing Choices. And they might change as time goes on with carrying, I assumed that I would have a drawer full of holsters....
NRA Life Member
Ducks Unlimited Member

Topic author
Blue5

Post by Blue5 »

joe817 wrote:Hi Blue5, welcome to the forum & glad to have you with us! :tiphat: There's a wealth of information on this board and lots of great gals & guys to help answer your questions.

And thank you for your service to our country! :patriot:

Joe,

Happy to be here and look forward to reading more and finding out more about the world of CHL and the world in general. I never know how much really goes into getting ready to carry a weapon. I would serve this country again and again. It was my pleasure.

Thanks for the warm welcomes.

:cheers2:
NRA Life Member
Ducks Unlimited Member

TVegas

Post by TVegas »

Howdy!

I carry a Shield daily, and I must say it is a great weapon. If you haven't already found a carry position that you like, I suggest giving appendix (11:00 - 1:00 o'clock) a shot. It isn't for everyone, but I have found it is the most comfortable and efficient position for me to carry in. With a proper gun belt and holster, the Shield just disappears.

Good luck with finding what works best for you and welcome to the club! :txflag:
:txflag: Thanks and Gig 'em! :thumbs2:

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Welcome to the Forum
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

Blue5 wrote:I have been reading the threads on the Wally World Walk. Very interesting, I am sure me and the wife will make sure this happens as soon as I get home and do the mirror check a few hundred times.
I did that in the beginning. I'd check the mirror and ask my wife if she could see the gun. I carry everywhere it's legal every time I leave the house including at work (as my company specifically authorizes concealed carry in our employee manual). At various times I've carried several different large handguns OWB (like a Glock 21) and I've pocket carried and ankle carried (in normal leg slacks and jeans) and no one has ever noticed so far as I can tell. I hardly even bother to check the mirror any more.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Topic author
Blue5

Post by Blue5 »

TVegas wrote:Howdy!

I carry a Shield daily, and I must say it is a great weapon. If you haven't already found a carry position that you like, I suggest giving appendix (11:00 - 1:00 o'clock) a shot. It isn't for everyone, but I have found it is the most comfortable and efficient position for me to carry in. With a proper gun belt and holster, the Shield just disappears.

Good luck with finding what works best for you and welcome to the club! :txflag:

Thank you very much,

I have found that this board is already giving me valuable information. What would you suggest for a 01:00 belt and holster? I am sure it will take me some time once it comes in. :banghead:

Thanks again.
NRA Life Member
Ducks Unlimited Member

Topic author
Blue5

Post by Blue5 »

VMI77 wrote:
Blue5 wrote:I have been reading the threads on the Wally World Walk. Very interesting, I am sure me and the wife will make sure this happens as soon as I get home and do the mirror check a few hundred times.
I did that in the beginning. I'd check the mirror and ask my wife if she could see the gun. I carry everywhere it's legal every time I leave the house including at work (as my company specifically authorizes concealed carry in our employee manual). At various times I've carried several different large handguns OWB (like a Glock 21) and I've pocket carried and ankle carried (in normal leg slacks and jeans) and no one has ever noticed so far as I can tell. I hardly even bother to check the mirror any more.

My wife laughs at me daily because even without my weapon I have my holster on and check the mirror. I am sure over time it will get better and it will be like grabbing my wallet when I wake up in the morning. I will however not be able to carry at work, or even on the drive (Hundreds of Miles) due to the lease we work on. But you betcha I will have it on when it is legal every other time.

I have not started thinking about a secondary weapon yet. I am sure that will come with time. I wear boots and wranglers, not sure how convenient that is to access in a life or death situation.

Thanks for the comment and I look forward to reading more and continuing
to learn.
NRA Life Member
Ducks Unlimited Member

Topic author
Blue5

Post by Blue5 »

WIFE SAID CHL CAME IN THE MAIL!!!!!!!!!! :anamatedbanana :woohoo

Might be home by the weekend to do the Wally Walk!!!!! :cool:
NRA Life Member
Ducks Unlimited Member

Topic author
Blue5

Post by Blue5 »

So, this is getting better!!!! CHL Yesterday in the mail! M&P Shield at the store waiting today!!!!! :anamatedbanana :fire :thewave :thewave
NRA Life Member
Ducks Unlimited Member

CoffeeNut
Posts in topic: 2

Post by CoffeeNut »

Congratulations! I got my CHL over two years ago and I still remember the excitement like it was yesterday. I think I stared at the plastic for a couple hours total.
EDC: Sig Sauer P320SC / P238

Return to “New to CHL?”