Please help- background check information

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
TeamCropDusters
Posts in topic: 6

Please help- background check information

Post by TeamCropDusters »

Last edited by TeamCropDusters on Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Please help- background check information

Post by Keith B »

Welcome to the forum. :tiphat:

You will need a document showing disposition of the case to send in with your application, so contact the court clerk where you were charged and the case was heard and get the document from them. That will give you the date to put on your application.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

What Keith said.

The DPS investigation searches deeper than any online background-check you can purchase.

Not to dissuade you; just do your homework. You need to disclose any arrest event in your background and, if any, provide disposition documentation.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

TeamCropDusters wrote:If I go the background check route, which service\site would you recommend? Keep in mind it will be a one time use...
Background check is mandatory, no ifs and or butts, and DPS does it. To the best of my knowledge, you don't get to pick who does it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

The following is from the FBI FAQ site. This is where I would start if I were you. They can most likely locate the arrest and give you a date

Does the FBI provide arrest records at the request of private citizens?

Yes. You can obtain a copy of your own ”Identification Record”—often referred to as a criminal history record or a rap sheet—by submitting a written request to our Criminal Justice Information Services Division. We check various systems for any arrest records, a process that is generally known as a criminal background check. Your request must include proof of identity and payment of an $18 processing fee by credit card or by money order or cashiers check made payable to the U.S. Treasury. The FBI does not provide copies of arrest records to individuals other than the subject of the record (in other words, you can’t request someone else’s records). See our Identification Record webpage for information and forms.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
TeamCropDusters

Last edited by TeamCropDusters on Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

Topic author
TeamCropDusters

Last edited by TeamCropDusters on Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
TeamCropDusters

Last edited by TeamCropDusters on Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
TeamCropDusters

Last edited by TeamCropDusters on Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

TeamCropDusters wrote:
RPBrown wrote:The following is from the FBI FAQ site. This is where I would start if I were you. They can most likely locate the arrest and give you a date

Does the FBI provide arrest records at the request of private citizens?

Yes. You can obtain a copy of your own ”Identification Record”—often referred to as a criminal history record or a rap sheet—by submitting a written request to our Criminal Justice Information Services Division. We check various systems for any arrest records, a process that is generally known as a criminal background check. Your request must include proof of identity and payment of an $18 processing fee by credit card or by money order or cashiers check made payable to the U.S. Treasury. The FBI does not provide copies of arrest records to individuals other than the subject of the record (in other words, you can’t request someone else’s records). See our Identification Record webpage for information and forms.
I will do this if the County Clerk route fails. Thanks for your help. It is appreciated.
I sense that you may be confused about the process. YOU do not have to perform a criminal history check. The DPS will perform the check for you, after you apply for your CHL and pay the fee, and submit you fingerprints (which are usually done electronically through a vendor that the DPS uses.

Now, you ARE required to disclose any arrests that you have had, and if you were found guilty, or have an adjudicated sentence, you still have to provide DPS with the disposition of that arrest /charge. You usually can get those dispositions from the County Clerk of the county in which you were arrested/charged. Others have told you how to go about doing that.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

Topic author
TeamCropDusters

Last edited by TeamCropDusters on Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

One correction regarding bureaucratic route: don't waste your time with the FBI if you know the county. You are going to need certified case disposition documents from the local clerk of courts anyway. The FBI has nothing to do with that.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

I had a few incidents that are listed on my FBI background check as arrests - none of which affect my ability to carry, possess, or purchase pistols. I have zero documentation on the arrest records, so on my CHL application I simply and truthfully said, "in the spirit of full disclosure and transparency, it is my understanding that an arrest is potentially listed on my background check for (brief description of incident, place, and month / year). For the disposition, I truthfully said "discharged".

Two days after submitting my application online, I thought of another potential "arrest" - so I went to the website and submitted an amendment.

In my experience, being truthful and respectful yet in the absence of documentation paid off. My CHL arrived one week later. Hope this helps ...

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

My wife had a black mark on her record when she applied, but didn't have disposition paperwork and the county clerk for said county (Austin ish) was less than helpful. She listed the dates and dispositions from the county's record website and included no paperwork. Her app took almost two months but it was approved.

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

You could start with a publicdata account. Often arrest records show there if you're unwilling to go the route above. Long term though, you'll need to show disposition through the court system.

Return to “New to CHL?”