The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
stephenn
Posts in topic: 1

Just finished first week with CHL

Post by stephenn »

Just finished my first week and had some random observations and thoughts:

* Despite making a killer Crossbred Hybrid clone for my Shield, I am carrying AIWB with a homemade kydex holster. After getting past where the gun is pointing, it's a very comfortable carry and easier to get to while in car vs a 4 o'clock IWB. Also, since I have to leave my gun in my car while at work, it's easier to take off & on while in my car.
* Since I took the CHL class, I have tried and tried to pick out people who are conceal carrying. The only person that I have seen was someone using a Sneaky Pete holster. Had they not been dressed wearing clothing that screamed "I am carrying a gun" I probably wouldn't have even noticed that. This has made me feel a whole lot comfortable about concealing my gun(s).
* I am definitely a lot less nervous walking around in public with a loaded handgun than I would thought I would be. I am actually calm, comfortable, and feel much safer.
* Last night, I asked my wife if she had noticed that I have been carrying all week. She hadn't noticed and was shocked that I had been.
* I love carrying my Shield. I also have a Beretta PX-4 Storm Compact that I will probably try carrying when it gets cooler and I can wear a jacket. I am only 5'6" - 155 lbs so my biggest concern has always been trying to conceal anything but a gun the size of a Shield on my small frame.

That's all I got for now. Can't believe that I waited this long to get a CHL. I feel MUCH safer at home and out on the town.

Taypo
Banned

Re: Just finished first week with CHL

Post by Taypo »

Congrats, man.

Where's the Wally Walk story and pictures??

:clapping:

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Re: Just finished first week with CHL

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Good call on the Shield. I love mine, it sits just right at 4:00. I also agree, after the first couple of times carrying into public, I'm not nervous at all. In fact, I left my side arm at home when I did some house sitting/dog sitting this weekend and I was more nervous and conscious of NOT being armed than I am when I am armed now. I don't even worry about printing either, I have it riding pretty low and have even hugged relatives and not been outed as of yet...
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Return to “New to CHL?”