Carrying a 5" 1911 is hard

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Carrying a 5" 1911 is hard

Post by treadlightly »

i still for the life of me can't figure out why people insist on carrying a 1911 for self defense period
A reasonable question - here's my shot at an answer.

You can get a very, very nice trigger, particularly with Series 70 style 1911's. You can even have a fairly heavy pull and still have a surprise break like snapping a piece of glass.

The safeties are nice and solid. Someone posted earlier about the danger of cocked-and-locked but it's really not much different than many striker fire guns. A hammer I can see at full stand is scarier looking than a cocked striker - but I think my trust is based on knowing "how" the safeties work, not just trusting "that" they work.

To me, that's important. I'm not a gunsmith but I can inspect a 1911 and confirm the thumb safety is performing all three of its safety functions.

A 1911 in anything close to reasonable, functioning shape is bricked up when it's cocked and locked. So is a Glock, but I don't know how to inspect one to confirm its safe action is doing its work - and I like safeties that aren't deactivated by the trigger pull, but that's a different postmortem equine sparring session. :mrgreen:
choose a good round loading an adequate bullet, and place your shots properly. The 1911 achieves both of these critical objectives.
My Kimber Crimson Ultra (and I really like the Swartz firing pin block) is my favorite carry gun. My most practical is my Kahr PM9 because it conceals so well. When I really want to feel like a fully franchised citizen, the 1911 is my dress-up gun, either the bobbed Kimber or my Series 70 Government Model.

MeMelYup
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MeMelYup »

May the Schwarts be with you.

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

Thank you. Did you know I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate? :biggrinjester:

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

ShootDontTalk wrote:It is a tool for your belt. Why restrict the tools available to save your life?

I can give you one very solid tactical reason I carry a 1911 at times. IF I am ever confronted with a rifle or even shotgun wielding threat, I need to be able to direct precision fire at ranges well beyond 25 yards.

I shot 1911's in NRA competition routinely at 50 yards. I could place 5 rounds in a group that measured less than 2 inches - offhand. I know of no other handgun that can deliver that level of accuracy without major modifications that disqualify it for daily carry. In fact, I practiced for matches by offhand shooting at 100 yards. I could maintain 5-6 inch groups at that range. That is AK47 level accuracy. The secret is the 1911 is a single action weapon. The trigger is markedly superior to the vast majority of handguns available for defense.

Do I only carry a 1911? Of course not. Is the 1911 the best handgun for every task? Of course not. But given that EVERY weapon is a compromise, the 1911 does some things better than any other weapon. For that reason alone, it should be considered.

Two things I have learned in 6 decades of shooting: choose a good round loading an adequate bullet, and place your shots properly. The 1911 achieves both of these critical objectives.
SDT beat me to it. I own a couple of Glocks. In fact I chose my new G17 as my primary carry gun on my trip to Arizona I'm on right now. But I also own a full sized steel framed Springfield 1911 with a custom trigger. If you had ever shot such a gun, you'd know why some like to carry them. A gun is a tool. Your Glock is the equivalent of a mass-produced AR15. The 1911 is the equivalent of an accurate .308 bolt rifle. The AR15 is a great weapon, but there are some things that it won't do, that an accurate .308 bolt rifle will do easily.....and visa versa.

At the restaurant in Santa Rosa New Mexico where I ate dinner last night, there was a NM state trooper eating dinner there, armed with a very nice cocked and locked 1911. Now this is a guy who spends his days driving over large areas solo, and has a higher probability of having to actually draw his weapon than either of us........and he didn't see to worry about being under-armed.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

ShootDontTalk
Posts in topic: 10

Post by ShootDontTalk »

AndyC wrote: They're also reliable, accurate, shoot a big bullet and have excellent ergonomics - I accept the fact that they carry less ammo than modern designs but I'm fine with the trade-off. I agree with you, though; they likely wouldn't suit sissies who whine about weight, the casual user who just won't learn how they work or folks who miss a lot ;-)
"And the Lord God spoke to John Moses Browning from a burning bush on the mountain and said, Go forth. And lo Moses did so and delivered the captives from the slavery of ugly pistols."
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!
Eli Wallach on concealed carry while taking a bubble bath

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Excaliber »

AndyC wrote:
GlockDude26 wrote:i still for the life of me can't figure out why people insist on carrying a 1911 for self defense period....it must be for the reminiscent feeling of the glory days or something. they're big, heavy, and have limited mag capacity.
You don't have to, any more than you would question a man's choice of wife - but for me, primarily because they're slim and I'm intimately familiar with them.

They're also reliable, accurate, shoot a big bullet and have excellent ergonomics - I accept the fact that they carry less ammo than modern designs but I'm fine with the trade-off. I agree with you, though; they likely wouldn't suit sissies who whine about weight, the casual user who just won't learn how they work or folks who miss a lot ;-)
I agree on all points.

I would add their flat profile and ease of concealment as things that make them a good choice. It's easy and comfortable for me to hide a full size 1911 without a bulge under common clothing.

I've been a fan and user of this gun for 42 years and have carried them both as an LEO and a private citizen. My current most carried configuration is a commander length model with three 8 round mags and one in the chamber. There are few violent social problems I can't resolve in my favor with that equipment.

With that said, in view of the strong social media encouragement that is being given to lone wolf actors who want to engage in jihad on our soil, our wide open borders, and the demonstrated fact that some of them are acting on that with more than one attacker participating, I've started carrying a hi cap 9mm with at least two spare mags for a minimum round count of 46 when visiting large cities and malls, theaters, and other venues that would fit the target profile of someone seeking to carry out a mass casualty attack.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Medley86

Post by Medley86 »

Not trying to hijack but I'm looking at ordering a gunbelt and a wright holster to carry my 4.5 xdm 40 small of back, looking at some of the gunbelts they can be bought with stiffeners inside. With a holster that holds that much of the gun above the belt, especially with the xdm that will have 16 rounds of 180gr, would the stiffener be a good thing or unnecessary? On the 1911's get a decent one, I have a 5" rock island and it's ok but very rough overall, trigger sucks and slide isn't dovetailed so stuck with g.i. sights until I can find a smith around that can cut the slide. None of the ones I have talked to near me want to touch it.
Ruger LCP in a Talon wallet holster EDC

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

On the 1911's get a decent one, I have a 5" rock island and it's ok but very rough overall, trigger sucks and slide isn't dovetailed so stuck with g.i. sights until I can find a smith around that can cut the slide. None of the ones I have talked to near me want to touch it.
Hank Fleming in Austin.
I had him dovetail my RIA slide, hard chrome it & install night sites. I changed the trigger.
Its one of my carry guns now.
NRA Member
Amateur Radio Operator

Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Taypo »

I've heard some good things about Ken Bee in Gun Barrel City. Kenz Customz is his shop, I believe. Good work, really responsive to questions. He's gonna get my Kimber when I get around to heading out there.

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

kells81 wrote:Since my plastic has arrived I have carried exactly twice.

#1- Glock 43 in my pocket. That's easy. Fishing and outdoorsy stuff etc and went into a store for worms.

#2- 5" 1911 in an owb holster. Drug the muzzle all over stuff today. Had it show so many times I finally just left it in the truck. On my way home I stopped and picked up a iwb holster made of kydex. It's uncomfortable but will work until I get hands on a good leather iwb holster.

Is anyone else packing a gov model? I don't care about carrying in general but prefer to carry while fishing and doing outdoorsy stuff. Pretty much have to suck it up until I can OC but until then it's a hide it challenge. Anyone know a good shop in DFW with a good selection of holsters?
I have carried a Delta Elite (10MM on a Colt 1911 frame) for 16 years. I am on the large side at 6'2" and at 225-265 lbs during that time period. For me I have found the IWB-SMOB is the best for carrying when walking. Sitting is a bit difficult at times. If you can swing it around to 3 O'Clock it can make some situations better.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

Excaliber wrote:
AndyC wrote:
GlockDude26 wrote:i still for the life of me can't figure out why people insist on carrying a 1911 for self defense period....it must be for the reminiscent feeling of the glory days or something. they're big, heavy, and have limited mag capacity.
You don't have to, any more than you would question a man's choice of wife - but for me, primarily because they're slim and I'm intimately familiar with them.

They're also reliable, accurate, shoot a big bullet and have excellent ergonomics - I accept the fact that they carry less ammo than modern designs but I'm fine with the trade-off. I agree with you, though; they likely wouldn't suit sissies who whine about weight, the casual user who just won't learn how they work or folks who miss a lot ;-)
I agree on all points.

I would add their flat profile and ease of concealment as things that make them a good choice. It's easy and comfortable for me to hide a full size 1911 without a bulge under common clothing.

I've been a fan and user of this gun for 42 years and have carried them both as an LEO and a private citizen. My current most carried configuration is a commander length model with three 8 round mags and one in the chamber. There are few violent social problems I can't resolve in my favor with that equipment.

With that said, in view of the strong social media encouragement that is being given to lone wolf actors who want to engage in jihad on our soil, our wide open borders, and the demonstrated fact that some of them are acting on that with more than one attacker participating, I've started carrying a hi cap 9mm with at least two spare mags for a minimum round count of 46 when visiting large cities and malls, theaters, and other venues that would fit the target profile of someone seeking to carry out a mass casualty attack.
With my Delta I carry 9 rnds in the firearm (Condition 1) and 4 spare magazines on me. Depending on which mags I am carrying that runs from 41 to 44 rounds immediately available. If I feel that a situation might get really nasty (I try to stay FAR AWAY from that), I could easily add another 16 rounds in magazines in a carrier.

With my 40 S&W I can easily carry 51 to 54 rounds available.

I try to stay away from any round smaller than that.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

nyj

Post by nyj »

Why carry a 1911? Uh, because they're badass. Practical? Not really. Outshoot a plastic gun any day? Damn straight.

I typically carry a snub nose or Glock, but my 1911 will be getting carry time this winter. IWB, too.

Countryside
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Countryside »

oohrah wrote:I don't carry my gov model, because it's too dangerous cocked and locked, with a round in the chamber. And what would be the point if it was not. So I got a PX4 Storm .45, which I can de-cock to DAO.

I know a little off-topic, but you might want to rethink your EDC.
How is a 1911, properly holstered, trigger covered, with a slide safety and grip safety, more dangerous than any other holstered pistol?

Return to “New to CHL?”