CHL while working Loss Prevention

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Mattikins
Posts in topic: 1

CHL while working Loss Prevention

Post by Mattikins »

Hello everyone I am new here to the forum. I have been perusing for a few weeks since I started the CHL process. Does anyone have any experience or know someone who would regarding a Loss Prevention employee carrying a concealed handgun if they have their CHL? I read that in Texas if you are labeled as "Security" then you need to go to a class for a day and then you are certified. With the certification you can work as unarmed"security" and if you wish to carry then you have to do another class.

So could a store loss prevention employee legally carry if he/she has no formal training with TXDPS?

The Wall

Re: CHL while working Loss Prevention

Post by The Wall »

I doubt it. That would make the store liable for what you do if they authorize it.

EEllis
Banned

Post by EEllis »

No, I could go into more detail but basically no. No one would ever let you carry as LP

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

What are your store regulations for employees on firearms?

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

EEllis wrote:No, I could go into more detail but basically no. No one would ever let you carry as LP
:iagree:

No disrespect intended but that sounds like a recipe for disaster from a liability standpoint.

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

as they all said above, No, not a good idea.

You'd risk the loss of your job, your Texas Board license and your chl.
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

Gunner4640

Post by Gunner4640 »

No "you are acting as a security officer while employed" you must be employed by a licensed security company. :txflag:
Dave & Wife NRA Members
Too many guns to list> :lol::

TEXASG7

Post by TEXASG7 »

:rules: :iagree:

You must have a level 3 or 4 Security license to have a firearm in conjunction with your job! Employed by a security agency! ... Your CHL is for personal use and cannot be used for such!

Charlies.Contingency
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charlies.Contingency »

Mattikins wrote:Hello everyone I am new here to the forum. I have been perusing for a few weeks since I started the CHL process. Does anyone have any experience or know someone who would regarding a Loss Prevention employee carrying a concealed handgun if they have their CHL? I read that in Texas if you are labeled as "Security" then you need to go to a class for a day and then you are certified. With the certification you can work as unarmed"security" and if you wish to carry then you have to do another class.

So could a store loss prevention employee legally carry if he/she has no formal training with TXDPS?
There is one distinct difference in what is being considered here.

Loss prevention - Non-Security.
Loss prevention - Security.

You either are, or are not security. Some places like Academy have loss prevention associates, that are nothing more than an employee checking stuff at the door.

If you ARE security, called security, have the words security on you, or act like security, you need to get TXDPS certified as a security guard. There are 3 levels of security now days:
Level II - Unarmed Security
Level III - Armed Security
Level IV - Private Protection Officer

If you are simply non-security loss prevention, then it is feasible that you "could" carry concealed, if you are not acting within the duties described of a security officer in Occupations Code 1402. (If I recall the chapter correctly.)

If you employer then allows, or I guess if he/she does not forbid you from carrying your firearm, then it may be okay. However, carrying a gun, and acting as a loss prevention person may put you in a precarious situation if something were to ever happen. I could here somebody trying to accuse you of acting as an armed security officer, though that is unlikely.
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

Charlies.Contingency
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charlies.Contingency »

TEXASG7 wrote::rules: :iagree:

You must have a level 3 or 4 Security license to have a firearm in conjunction with your job! Employed by a security agency! ... Your CHL is for personal use and cannot be used for such!
(Tone down.....)

I don't recall him stating that he was going to carry in conjunction with his job, but it seemed that he was inquiring if he could carry his gun on him. Sounds to me like somebody is asking if it's legal to carry their gun while doing such and such job.
Gunner4640 wrote:No "you are acting as a security officer while employed" you must be employed by a licensed security company. :txflag:
Depends on your point of view. How is he acting as a security officer? If you're referring to being a loss prevention person, then every loss prevention person must be certified as a security officer according to your above statement. I believe as stated before, that the OP is asking if he can carry at work while doing the job of a loss prevention person.
EEllis wrote:No, I could go into more detail but basically no. No one would ever let you carry as LP
:iagree: I must concur with Ellis. No employer would willingly let a LP carry a weapon knowingly. If they did, they would have contracted level III security. It's not a good idea all the way around, but if it's your job, and you're just trying to make the best of what you have, then there is no harm in asking and finding out. But like any job, it depends on your employers policies and if the location is posted 30.06 or not.

On a side note, if you want to carry a gun for a job, get your Security license, join the military, go through a police academy, or go a to a sheriff's dept. :thumbs2:
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

Return to “New to CHL?”