question on duty to inform

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

mojo84
Posts in topic: 1

Re: question on duty to inform

Post by mojo84 »

There is what is legal and what can be considered courteous. You do not have to show your chl if you are not carrying, however, many would consider it the courteous thing to do. You do not have to speak to people in the elevator but most consider it courteous to do so.

As long as you aren't carrying at the time, it's your choice.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Rhino1

Post by Rhino1 »

I've always heard the most dangerous day to day situations for cops are domestic violence cases and traffic stops, particularly at night. My CHL instructor's advice was, by the time he gets to the window, have the DL and CHL in hand, the window down, and hands on steering wheel. If at night, have overhead light on. My first words are that I have a CHL and I am carrying or I'm not. I've been stopped four times in the years I've had a CHL. The last three times, he came back to the truck and said "have a nice day". One time I got stopped by DPS. I told him I had a shotgun under the back seat that I was taking to a gunsmith. He asked what kind. When I said Mossberg 500, he got a big smile and said that was what he had in his cruiser.
I prefer to carry all the time but am in outside sales. While I can only think of two customer locations with a valid 30.06 signs, there are a lot that have various weapon prohibition signs. While not legally binding, I would never be able set foot on their property (and probably anyone else from my company) if it was found that I was carrying on their property. That said, I travel from San Antonio to Austin and beyond. I may not have a gun on my person but always have one in the truck.
The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

E.Marquez wrote:Some will now chime in... that they NEVER go unarmed, either choosing to ignore the law or somehow go through life without every needing to enter a restricted area. Good for them, that's not my reality.
Yep, never go unarmed. Sometimes disarmed, but I always have a legal pocket knife. :lol::
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

E.Marquez wrote:
baldeagle wrote:The real question is why would you ever not be carrying?
I am pretty darn sure you know the answer to your own question.. but I'll play the game...... Because legally, there are instances where you can not carry... and like it or not, life goes on.
If I have to go to court for myself or another, Jury duty, ect, I can not carry.
If I have to go into the post office, I can not carry.
Back when I had kids in school, I could not carry when I needed to enter the building.

There are many other reasons where we have to make real life choices to not carry in order to both abide by the law, and carry out daily needs.

Some will now chime in... that they NEVER go unarmed, either choosing to ignore the law or somehow go through life without every needing to enter a restricted area. Good for them, that's not my reality.
Exactly why I used the words in my previous post: "like you, I am rarely not carrying....."

I rarely ever go inside a post office. I rarely ever go inside a court. If I have to do any of those things, I disarm and secure the gun before exiting my vehicle. Since my wife and I take care of our granddaughter during the week (she's only 16 months old right now), we will eventually probably be picking her up after school, or participating in/attending school events involving her. Obviously that will require disarming in my vehicle. I'd like to be able to say that I never leave home without my gun, but that would not be true 100% of the time. The fact is that, over the 8 years that I've had my CHL, I've forgotten my gun at home maybe a half-dozen times. Had the holster on, but forgot the gun. I know.....kinda dumb.....but it's a fact.

Absolutist statements are always stupid. ;-) :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 2

Post by baldeagle »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
E.Marquez wrote:
baldeagle wrote:The real question is why would you ever not be carrying?
I am pretty darn sure you know the answer to your own question.. but I'll play the game...... Because legally, there are instances where you can not carry... and like it or not, life goes on.
If I have to go to court for myself or another, Jury duty, ect, I can not carry.
If I have to go into the post office, I can not carry.
Back when I had kids in school, I could not carry when I needed to enter the building.

There are many other reasons where we have to make real life choices to not carry in order to both abide by the law, and carry out daily needs.

Some will now chime in... that they NEVER go unarmed, either choosing to ignore the law or somehow go through life without every needing to enter a restricted area. Good for them, that's not my reality.
Exactly why I used the words in my previous post: "like you, I am rarely not carrying....."

I rarely ever go inside a post office. I rarely ever go inside a court. If I have to do any of those things, I disarm and secure the gun before exiting my vehicle. Since my wife and I take care of our granddaughter during the week (she's only 16 months old right now), we will eventually probably be picking her up after school, or participating in/attending school events involving her. Obviously that will require disarming in my vehicle. I'd like to be able to say that I never leave home without my gun, but that would not be true 100% of the time. The fact is that, over the 8 years that I've had my CHL, I've forgotten my gun at home maybe a half-dozen times. Had the holster on, but forgot the gun. I know.....kinda dumb.....but it's a fact.

Absolutist statements are always stupid. ;-) :lol:
Wait a minute...are you calling me stupid????? :biggrinjester:

I never leave the house unarmed. That does not mean that I carry where it's not legal. Like TAM, I lock my gun and mags in the safe in the car when I am not allowed to enter a place. I also tend to not frequent places that force me to disarm. But yes, I carry always. Even at my daughter's house when we go to visit. Even at the bank. At restaurants. Everywhere I go.

So, if I'm in my car and I'm stopped by a law enforcement officer, I'm going to be armed.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

baldeagle wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:Absolutist statements are always stupid. ;-) :lol:
Wait a minute...are you calling me stupid????? :biggrinjester:
Hey, I'm the one who made an absolutist statement (see above)! :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “New to CHL?”